Truck regulations?

I have always wondered if you need to obey traffic regulations posted for trucks when towing the boat. What is the definition of a truck when you see something like a reduced speed limit for trucks? My Avalanche has a truck registration but I would certainly ignore that posting if just driving it, but what having the boat hitched up?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Good question !
    Not sure what the "definition" is and it could be different from one state to the next.
    I will say I pull a lot of different trailers even a 3 axle gooseneck livestock trailer and I have never been stopped for not adhering to truck regulations in Texas or New Mexico.

I was an Owner/Operator running 48 states and As far as I know, anytime you are towing a trailer of any kind you must adhere to all Truck speed limits posted. In some states it's lower than autos and some states the truck and auto speed limits are the same. Just depends on what state you are in.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    If I remember correctly its the weight of the rig not the fact your towing a trailer. So you are way under ;)

5. Joe4d
    Based on weight.

a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater.” 49 CFR § 383.5(1).

6. bayousmallie
    thats right also there are bridge laws on the lenght of your axles. but that is for the bigger trucks and trailers.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    Based on weight.

a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater.” 49 CFR § 383.5(1).

Is this the criteria for the need to stop at a weigh station?

8. Member
    If your GVWR or your GCVWR exceeds 10,000 and you make money with it then you are a commercial truck.

9. Member
    So it is commercial trucks that need to stop at weigh stations?

yep---- U-Haul and Ryder are considered commercial

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    yep---- U-Haul and Ryder are considered commercial
    If you are making money with them.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    So it is commercial trucks that need to stop at weigh stations?
    Yes, but I know there are some shacks that will post that all vehicles over XXXXX weight need to stop. 99.9% they only want commercial trucks 10,001# and over.

13. Member
    Most people don’t know that most states have maximum speed limit for trucks pulling trailers that supersede post limits. This is for our trucks pulling boats. Not really enforced but could be.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

14. Member
    Different have different regulations, but after reading a lot of RV’ers blogs and the state of Texas DMV aand DPS information and statutes, COMMERCIAL VEHICLES only. In a few cases they may also call Agricultural equipment through the station. Commercial has to do with whether the is a vehicle used to make money, and in Texas exceeds 10,000 lbs. in weight.

Vehicles for personal use,, including large RV’s are not required to stop at weigh stations. There are sometimes Safety Checkpoints set up by DPS (state troopers) that will have signs up requiring all vehicles to stop.

Again, different states-sometimes diff laws.

15. Member
    49CFR383 pertains to when a person will be required to have a CDL (commercial drivers license), and is not related to individual states’ requirements for weighing Commercial Vehicles.