ride around Chattanooga

T for Texas, T for Tennessee, T for Tellico Plains

Need a good route.
    Lookin for some help on getting around, not through, Chattanooga.

Will be on 2 wheels, likely via Lynchburg - Winchester - Tracy City - Jasper.
    If we don't make Lynchburg, we'll be coming from Lawrenceburg.

Either way, we're heading to Ocoee, just east of Cleveland.

No Interstates, no crowds, no dirt roads.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks, TT

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

2. Matt20xd
    Guess it depends how far you are willing to go to avoid chatt. From jasper you could take 28 to pikeville, hit hwy 30 to Dayton then 60 to Cleveland and 74 to ocoee.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt20xd View Post
    Guess it depends how far you are willing to go to avoid chatt. From jasper you could take 28 to pikeville, hit hwy 30 to Dayton then 60 to Cleveland and 74 to ocoee.
    My suggestion as well.

WOW........ That looks like a LONG way around.
    Just how bad is traffic through Chatt on a weekday?

Don't really want to do it, but maybe jump on the Interstate for a short run.
    Jasper --- Hwy 41 along the river to IH24, to 320, to 321 north, to 64 to Cleveland, 74 to Ocoee. ???

Thanks

5. Banned
    If you are coming through Lawrenceburg, you would go.East on the new bypass to Pulaski's bypass and on to Fayetteville. On the other side of F'ville you turn left and Lynchburg is just 10 miles. It is simply a mecca.

There are a number of ways to get around Chattanooga, but they all take you substantially out of your way to get to The Ocoee River East of Cleveland. I would stay on Hwy 64, cross over Interstate 24 and turn right in 1/4 mile onto U.S. Hwy 41. That will take you up to Monteagle on the old road they keep impeccably paved. It is a real cycling road. Up on the mountain, turn left and Tracy City is 6 miles. Jasper, is at the foot of the mountain on Hwy 41. There, I suggest going into Chattanooga on Hwy 41 following Nickajack Lake on your left. You might consider sucking it up and get on I-24/I-75 N. for the 20 miles to the first Cleveland exit. Or, you could go I-24/I-75 N. and exit the the Ooltewah exit turning right which will take you into Cleveland. From Cleveland to the Ocoee Basin is about 20 miles east.

We keep a RV in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia, and I am familiar with every inch of the region. I avoid the Tale of the Dragon, but love the Cherohala Skyway east of Tellico Plains going thru 40 miles of wilderness to Robbinsville, NC. Cycling just doesn't get any better.

Thanks Bama. That will give me something to study for a bit. Sounds close to the direction I was thinking.

4 yrs a go we spent 2 weeks in Maggie Valley. Rode 1200 miles while we were there. Dragon twice, once on purpose, the other time because it was in the way.
    Love the Blue Ridge, rained on us most of the Cherohala.
    Fontana Dam, SMNP (careful of the Elk), Gatlinburg(cool but too many people, (reckon I was one of em...lol)
    North out of Maggie Valley to Del Rio, TN and back.
    Moonshiner 28 was a magnificent road to me, along with many more. Fantastic trip.

Appreciate all y'alls help.
    The more info the better

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I would stay on Hwy 64, cross over Interstate 24 and turn right in 1/4 mile onto U.S. Hwy 41. That will take you up to Monteagle on the old road they keep impeccably paved.
    It is a real cycling road. What road is this?

I was looking at going Hwy 41A out of Winchester to Monteagle - Tracy City (Hwy 41) - Jasper

get on I-24/I-75 N. for the 20 miles to the first Cleveland exit. Or, you could go I-24/I-75 N. and exit the the Ooltewah exit turning right which will take you into Cleveland.
    you didn't like my idea of >>> Jasper --- Hwy 41 along the river to IH24, to 320, to 321 north, to 64 to Cleveland, 74 to Ocoee. ???
    Last edited by Corkpuller; 08-27-2018 at 07:31 AM.

8. Banned
    The way you are going from Winchester to Monteagle looks good on paper, but getting thru Decherd is very slow. The speed limit is abnormally slow (miles from town) and it is heavily police'd. I find find it easier to stay on Hwy 64 over to the Interstate at the northern base of Monteagle. Your directions North to Cleveland and Ocoee works. I just avoid going thru downtown Chattanooga on Fridays or holidays, and try to avoid rush hours going south.

10-4, thanks.