Mercury 175 pro xs, noise after crank up

175 pro xs*
    #2B360756

The last 3 times I've had my boat out, when I crank it up, it has this loud whining noise. It's gone away after it warms up but comes back after I fish a while. Yesterday, it did it for the first two crank ups and then none the rest of the day. I recorded it and it's in the YouTube video below. Any ideas?

2017 618 Pro 175 ProXS

2. Member
    It sounds like you air compressor is about to die. Dont use it! If it completely goes it will cost you a lot more. it may be already too late. Run a search and do some reading in these forums. Look at my write up on it. dont use it as tempting as it may be.

Tom

3. Member
    Thank you, after some research on the compressor, I believe you are correct. I will be calling my dealer today. Luckily, it's still under warranty.

The first two times out that it did it, it was a very faint sound and I really wasn't sure if it was just me thinking I was hearing something. But the last time out, it was loud like in the video.

Again, thanks for the help.
    2017 618 Pro 175 ProXS

4. Member
    Wrong forums Sir. Your motor is not a 3.0 liter.

5. Member
    Sorry about being in the wrong forum, can this thread be moved to the correct one?
    2017 618 Pro 175 ProXS

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sure can- just did.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Well, I carry it in and it's not making the noise any more. They go over the motor, top to bottom, and everything checks out just fine. Compressor looks good, no metal shavings in anything, belt looks good, pullys check out, compression on the cylinders is good, lower unit is good....
    They even take it to the river and run it with no issues. Go figure.
    2017 618 Pro 175 ProXS

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hate it when that happens.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    SrFord280, I really didn't hear a whining noise. What I heard was what seemed to be louder than normal sound from your air compressor. So when it happens again, isolate somehow what whining noise you are talking about and send video. Air Compressor is more of a muffled knockaknockaknocka noise and it normally does not simply go away or come and go. It is steady.

10. Member
    Hopefully it doesn't happen again. I had it out a few days ago and it was normal. If it does happen again, I'll pull the cowling off to see if I can isolate the noise.

Like I said, the mechanic went over it top to bottom and everything checked out. I have platinum warranty till 2022 so I have time to see if it is going to be reaccuring. Appreciate it.
    2017 618 Pro 175 ProXS

11. Member
    Oh OK you have a warranty, then you dont need to worry. Very good ... enjoy.