Using my xb2003 to fish bays and lagoons.

Just got back from panama city beach, did some fishing while there. I fished from the rocky jetty a couple times but mostly waded(while scared to death I might add) out on the grass flats. I rented a pontoon while there and it was ok, bay boats are $300-500 plus tax and fuel from 8am to 4/5pm.
    I could buy a used flats boats that would suit me fine but that's another expense for something that wouldn't get used that often. Most of the flats boats are between 15' and 24' so my 20'er should be fine.
    My concerns would be the motor, carpet, seats and pumps. As long as everything gets rinsed off good with fresh water it should be fine, right?
    Oh yeah one other concern would be the back of the boat sitting so low in the water. I would definitely move at least 2 batteries up front to make the boat sit more level in the water.
    I know it's not going to draft as shallow as a true flats boat but I would rather be in my boat 100 yards from the bank in knee deep water than to be wading.
    Last edited by big_o_tom; 08-26-2018 at 09:58 AM.

2. Member
    Better be concerned about the trailer as well.

3. Member
    I hadn't thought of that, it's almost all tube, I never would get it all rinsed out.

4. Member
    A tube trailer wouldnt last very long in salt water. Maybe look into an aluminum trailer.

I lived 1/2 my life between destin and key largo,I wouldnt worry about an 03 on the flats,how low does it sit ? I troll into 2' with MGuide all the time,
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    Just got back from panama city beach, did some fishing while there. I fished from the rocky jetty a couple times but mostly waded(while scared to death I might add) out on the grass flats. I rented a pontoon while there and it was ok, bay boats are $300-500 plus tax and fuel from 8am to 4/5pm.
    I could buy a used flats boats that would suit me fine but that's another expense for something that wouldn't get used that often. Most of the flats boats are between 15' and 24' so my 20'er should be fine.
    My concerns would be the motor, carpet, seats and pumps. As long as everything gets rinsed off good with fresh water it should be fine, right?
    Oh yeah one other concern would be the back of the boat sitting so low in the water. I would definitely move at least 2 batteries up front to make the boat sit more level in the water.
    I know it's not going to draft as shallow as a true flats boat but I would rather be in my boat 100 yards from the bank in knee deep water than to be wading.

6. Member
    I think it would be fine also, move the trolling batteries up front, 1/4 of fuel and I bet it would draft real good. But I'm more worried about the trailer now.

I wouldnt move batteries up front,,even with a 3 l mine are fine,1 in port wing,2 in stbd. center steer 12" bobs action jack
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I think it would be fine also, move the trolling batteries up front, 1/4 of fuel and I bet it would draft real good. But I'm more worried about the trailer now.