Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    4 blade Fury 4 or Trophy Plus 4 ( 23p ) is what Id try if you can get a loaner. 53-56mph is gonna be max on 150 at 5200-5400rpm.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

2. Member
    Well I pulled 2 pvs plugs and still poor hole shot
    2010 Z-7 Mercury 150 Optimax,
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.

Has this just started since adding the Powerpole? Have you checked for a hooked hull?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Has this just started since adding the Powerpole? Have you checked for a hooked hull?
    Yes since I've added power pole. Without live wells filled it gets out of hole fine, no struggle at all.
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro 90 View Post
    Yes since I've added power pole. Without live wells filled it gets out of hole fine, no struggle at all.
    Well there you go, just keep the livewells empty, No Problem!

Actually you might want to look at re-distributing the weight in the boat. You added weight to the rear with the pole, the pump system, the fluid. All of that adds up.

6. Member
    You need to drop down to a 21 Tempest your RPM’s are to low, should be 5750-5800 WOT.

I was in a similiar situation as you...I have a 18'9" boat with a 150 HO and I added two Talons. This KILLED my holeshot,especially with two people. I played with motor height and PVS plug configuration until I got it decent when solo but when adding a partner or filling the livewell it was still bad. I was at the point of buying a bravo 1 prop because they have the reputation of being king when it comes to holeshot but before I dropped $600 for a new one or 4-500 for a used one I decided to install a hydrofoil. I know they are about the most unattractive thing you put on your boat. However in my case it was by far the best thing I ever done to improve holeshot. When light I jump up and I am gone with no problem. When there is two bubbas in the boat and the livewell full she is up and gone in 4-5 seconds.

I installed a traditional Stingray Hydrofoil. In the vent anything happens to it I have found a hydrofoil that looks a TON better than the traditional style I have. There is a guy on the Stroker forum that makes custom hydrofoils. When I say custom they have bling to go along with the function. They are stainless steel and can have custom logos inserted if you want. I have read multiple post from people who testify they improved their hole shot using a cbailey foil...here is a link...scroll through and look at the pictures...the one in post 16 or 18 would probabbly look good on your rig...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....316&highlight=

8. Member
    JR19
    Umm very interesting are they easy to install? It really helped your hole shot? So you never had to changed out props? I may look into this price is cheaper then a newprop. I havealos came to my mind my partner has had 2 big heavy fishing bags one on back deck and one on the floor may have some to do with my issue to. I just havent tried boat out with the PVS plug out, live wells filled and just me in it, been to busy lately. Thanks for the info bud
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.

The good thing about a foil is it allows you to turn the same prop because it has zero effect on top end rpm. When up on plane at full trim the foil is out of the water. The surface area of the foil creates resistance when you go full throttle for hole shot. When you holeshot the tendency is for the motor to go down and the bow to go up. The "wings" on the foil create resistance when being pushed down the the water, thus preventing the motor to not go down as easy and in return keeping the bow down as well.

If your prop is slow building prm's then try and remove the PVS plugs you have one at a time until they are all gone. If it's still slow building rpms then I would definitely look at getting a foil. Removing PVS plugs allows air bubbles to escape the barrel on the initial surge of the prop going from idle to holeshot rpm. This is called ventilation of the prop blades. The air bubbles coming out the PVS hole go across the surface face area of the blade and this helps create a small amount of slip which in return helps build rpm faster. Once up to operating rpm the exhaust all goes out the barrel of the prop so PVS has zero to do with anything other than initial sudden rpm change from idle to holeshot. Now there comes a point where too much air bubbles/ventilation can cause your prop to blow out. What happens is there is too many air bubbles and the blade can not grip the water so it blows out. This is when you need to add PVS plugs...slow building open the holes...blowing out close the holes.

Every boat/motor combo is different. Heck I have even seen identical boat/motor combos have different setups. That's not typical but I have seen it. Anyways, not that it is relevant but on my particular set-up I had best results with one hole completely open and two holes with large plugs. Removing more than one plug created blowout. Even with one hole open and two large plugs my holeshot was still slow when loaded heavy. A foil made my holeshot 4-5 seconds loaded. When light its up and gone.

As for the foil it is pretty simple to install. Use the adage measure twice and cut once...get the foil in place and make sure its in alignment the way it needs to be. Mark the holes, drink a beer, say a pray and start drilling holes in your cavitation plate. My motor had 10 hours on it when I drilled four holes in the cavitation plate. I was sick when drilling the holes but as soon as I took my boat to the lake and it instantly jumped on plane I was relieved. Do some research here on BBC about a cbailey foil. All reviews I have ready have nothing but positive things to say about hole shot improvement. I have the plastic traditional style Stingray Hydrofoil. If/when it breaks I will definitely be getting a cbailey foil. The only negative I have about my foil is it looks hideous on my motor, however the cbaily foil looks like someone added bling. Plus it is made of stainless steel whereas the one I have is plastic.

10. Member
    Ok thanks for info
    Keel guard, pro trim,
    Humminbird Electronics
    Western Mass.

11. Member
    Check to see if the mounting bracket for the power pole is dragging water when you take off, could be some extra drag at the rear killing your holeshot. You also might want to look into a holeshot plate to put on the bottom of your JP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12