Thread: Hang time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hang time

Aired out my G today, maybe a lil different than most since mines slower but its trailer work time so I had to air it a different way

So the plan is replace the rusted flat stock with stainless flat stock, new wood for bunks and fenders with gator back, add reverse lights, and leds to light up the G then touch up the paint and of course new bearings. Wish me luck, gonna be a week or two process between work, baby, and whatever else comes up. Also any other suggestions if you wished you could do something over.....

Wow. You will be much happier when its all done.

It’ll be nice when you’re done !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

When you get that done, come up and do mine! I’m in need of the same treatment.
    Glowin' Thanks to Bluewater LEDs

Hey Brent keep documenting this with photos and info:
    this is something every one of us will need to do at some point
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Dropped the brackets off to get new Stainless ones made....maybe I should have reused them

These were alot worse than I expected after knocking the surface rust off it was ungly...

New Gatorback material to go on afterwards

My buddy hooked me up with new stainless brackets for the Bunks....still gonna be awhile before too much work gets done due to Holiday weekend and going on the river and to Disappearing Island in the other boat with the wife and baby.
    Gonna ospho the trailer before I weld it also.

Finally got around to getting some stuff done today, old rust grinded off and new brackets welded on. Only did half at the time so I could compare angles and match them. Looks alot better but damn is this stuff time consuming

Got the other side done yesterday all welded up I think it looks pretty good. Tried to match the angles as much as possible and get everything to where it was on the original trailer. This is my very first welding job I've ever done play with a few things before but this is my first project so be easy on the welding if you zoom in lol. I did have my buddy come look at it that welds and he said it should hold my boat Vine so I don't drop it and put a hole in the bottom over one of the braces.

I will say now I know why trailer work is so expensive because it's worth it to have them do it

I didn't take a picture but I osphoed it, and now it's sitting next step will be Rust-Oleum oil-based paint.
    Last edited by lil red 02; 09-15-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: More pics

11. Member

12. Member
    Looking good . I just had to replace a spindle on my axle and it was a job. I called AmeraTrail and they only wanted 225 dollars for a bran new axle but the shipping was going to be 200 also. So I just fixed it myself. I guess new bunks and carpet are next. I'm coming to Inverness again the 6th of October for a week maybe we can meet up one day. I'm planning on going by the Gambler Factory to pick up some parts and a new hat.

For sure would love to meet up. Not even ride to the factory with you and check it out. Yeah I was going to do carpet and bunks I'm actually glad I didn't I couldn't believe all this and that that carpet held that's why I'm glad I'm doing the gator back bunk covers. Not sure if it would be in the budget or for something you'd want to do but my carpet had a whole lot of sand

Looking good lil red. I was thinking the same thing (about now I know why trailer repair guys charge so much) halfway into the job I did installing new wood bunks and adding the new carpet to my old 2100. It'll be gratifying when ur done though.

Thank you sir yes the feeling of satisfaction is definitely there already. This being my first thing I have welded in my new shop I'm pretty proud and looking for the next project already LOL. This could be an expensive new hobby also

16. Member
    Did you happen to research mig welding stainless steel/carbon steel?

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...t-welders.aspx

Talk to my friends who have welders for years, and they all said no big deal just well slow and make sure use a good sweeping motion for Bond both metals. I did not read the whole article you posted is that what it was getting at?

18. Member
    Article was a bit more detailed than that. If you look at the weld on the right rear cross member you will see little weld penetration on the carbon steel cross member while you have a little better penetration on the staineless at the same location. In part the article explains why that is. Also covers shielding gas and selecting the welding wire.

There are reasons why you seldom/never see stainless welded to carbon steel. “Most” applications involving a joint of dissimilar metals involves threaded fasteners or some form of brazing.

Honestly... not trying to rain on your parade but you may want to take some good pictures of the weld I mentioned then run those pics by a professional welder and get his opinion. I’m not talkin about the guy at the muffler shop that’s welded exhaust pipes...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Article was a bit more detailed than that. If you look at the weld on the right rear cross member you will see little weld penetration on the carbon steel cross member while you have a little better penetration on the staineless at the same location. In part the article explains why that is. Also covers shielding gas and selecting the welding wire.

There are reasons why you seldom/never see stainless welded to carbon steel. “Most” applications involving a joint of dissimilar metals involves threaded fasteners or some form of brazing.

Honestly... not trying to rain on your parade but you may want to take some good pictures of the weld I mentioned then run those pics by a professional welder and get his opinion. I’m not talkin about the guy at the muffler shop that’s welded exhaust pipes...
    Actually, Welding stainless to carbon steel is quite common. 309L welding electrode was developed for exactly that. I sell welding wire for a living and 309 is probably the third most common wire i sell. You would use 309 not because of penetration but because of dilution of the weld puddle to prevent cracking. i think in welding the brackets on like he did, if you do a full weld all the way around you will never see any issues with it.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Thanks for the opinions and no I do appreciate it thats why I posted it. I was told by career welders that build custom trucks frame up that it was possible, so I will take the whole trailer to him to double check my welds.

And I couldn't do a complete weld on all 4 sides becauce its C channel but I did to top and bottom and a lil extra on the top and down the top side of the C channel if that makes since?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast