Thread: Hang time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I dunno about 309L. But... I do know that i worked in a couple of shipyards and have been around some form of metal fabrication most of my life and have never run across a need to weld dissimilar metals. Perhaps some pipe line special application or other industrial application. Not sure what drives the 309L sales in your area but day-to-day in a typical welding shop welding of dissimilar metals is rare.

Lil Red... you may very well be in good shape but I saw enough to be concerned. Having a career welder take a look at is a good move. Best of luck!

Thank you sir, I know my welds aren't the prettiest or the best but I will definitely have my buddy look at it and get his opinion or have him touch it up if needed. I know its not a common practice but hes the one that said the welding was ok for 2 types of metal and I know not usual but sometimes people do it and its ok. So serously thanks again and I do appreciate the advice and concern.

3. Member
    I think that you will be fine. The problem with stainless is that its really hard to work with... cutting, drilling,,,etc. Carbon steel is much more forgiving to work with. A simple cutting torch can be used to cut and fab carbon steel. A plasma cutter will be needed to stainless. It's also harder to drill self tapping screws into. That why most builders go with carbon steel or alum. But, stainless will be better at being rust resistant than carbon steel. I'm a pipe welder by trade. JMHO.

Cool thanks, yes my talked to my buddy he didn't have a press in his shop so I had to drill the holes where it's going to attach the bunks. I had to use my drill press at the lowest setting 540 RPM. And at the end of the holes that was junk anyway even though I was grilling and spring water to keep the bit cool

5. Member
    I like to use anti seize when I drill stainless steel. It seems to work better than a liquid coolant for me.Also I've worked at a metal fab shop for over 30 years and I've seen them weld stainless to carbon steel lots of times. I think they use a stainless wire and straight argon gas when they do. I'll ask one of the welders in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbasskicker View Post
    I like to use anti seize when I drill stainless steel. It seems to work better than a liquid coolant for me.Also I've worked at a metal fab shop for over 30 years and I've seen them weld stainless to carbon steel lots of times. I think they use a stainless wire and straight argon gas when they do. I'll ask one of the welders in the morning.
    Cool thanks for the tip I guess next time I'll try anti seize. I don't drill stainless often but I will try to keep it in mind.

7. Member
    Red I know the feeling of satisfaction on a project. I finished the carpet job on my 206.....it was a job! Got live we’ll work done while I was able to. Still need to replace the valves though. Old ones are junk.
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

8. Member
    I work for the rail road & have been welding over 40 years ,been with them for 37 hot miserable years, at work we weld a stainless bowl ring in the bolster of the trucks, the bolster is cast , we use 309l and strait co2 for this , & to remove the old bowl ring we use a air-arc , it is the fastest way to cut the old one out.

9. Member
    I talked to the welders at the shop and they said to use a stainless wire and tri-mix gas not just argon. The straight argon was for welding aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by GPGambler View Post
    Red I know the feeling of satisfaction on a project. I finished the carpet job on my 206.....it was a job! Got live we’ll work done while I was able to. Still need to replace the valves though. Old ones are junk.
    Yes sir I will definitely feel good but I will say I'm not sure if I want to do a carpet job that might go somewhere because I like to have the padding if I ever replace that stuff.

And thanks guys for the replies about the welding I did use the Argon CO2 mix 75/25 I'm not sure about the wire I know it can be done my buddy has done it told me it could but as yopitsme sad I'm just more worried and I want my buddy to check the welds out make sure he thinks they're good. I know I can pull on them and they feel tight LOL but I'll have him look and double check. I work at the fire station tomorrow and hopefully Wednesday is going to be paint and treat the two by fours and two by sixes then let them dry not sure if I'll get more than that done have to wait and see

Definitely thanks for all the replies guys

11. Member
    go lil red

Quote Originally Posted by cripplesnake View Post
    go lil red
    Would be nice if you wanted to come over and drink beer and make sure it's going right

i'd be good for a beer or 6 and maybe holding the light... if i can sit on a tall bucket that is
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

14. Member
    when

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    i'd be good for a beer or 6 and maybe holding the light... if i can sit on a tall bucket that is
    No light holding here buddy, work during the day and we during the dark hours and sometimes before

Quote Originally Posted by cripplesnake View Post
    when
    You let me know brother anytime, My shop is always open if Im off shift, and beer is always cold

17. Member
    next week brother what kinda hours u keeping?

I'll send you a text in a little bit brother

First I want to say thanks to yupitsme. After your post I took the trailer to my buddy that's a professional welder and he said that the weld on the right rear inside was the only one he was kind of worried about but he said it didn't look like it had bit good penetration and I should touch it up just to be safe. So thanks for making me take it somewhere and let another set of eyes look at it before I start a button it up. So I did that touched up a couple little spots anyway thank you again for the heads up

Now for the new photos this is after the ospho has sat and chemically change the rust and it was all ground down everything is welded new bunks and the Gator backs. I painted the beams that the bumps went on with Rush stop Rust-Oleum paint. I didn't want to paint the whole trailer because the Pinstripes and everything on the outside or nice, so that's why I'm going to buff it and wax it. It is not done yet next will be cleaning up the whole trailer polishing it rewiring some new lights and reverse lights and bearings and wheel stuff

And for some reason tinypic won't let me post my pics so whenever it quits acting up I'll post my new pics

And I ain't forgot about you either mark I just ain't had time to do nothing we've been disappearing island couple times hanging out and then for some reason when I see a bunch of little bikinis I get sidetracked and forget to text.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast