Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

Breaking 100 is Easy.... Post your tips ..

Post your tips on how to break 100, break 90... I will post tips here for next week on how to Break 100. #1 wash your grips with warm water and a comet or orange hand clearner- something with a little grit. You will be amazed at all the dirt and sweat that come from dirty grips. #2- take out the driver -tee off with #3 wood and take out 2 or 3 more clubs that you cannot hit where you are aiming(maybe #3 and #4 iron and #9 or a wedge) >>Leave these clubs at home or trunk for a couple rounds. #3 take wider stance and take a full slow(50%) backswing- You are trying to hit woods only 200 years, #5 maybe 150 and #8 iron >120. You are learning that you can hit distance with a good accelerated swing. Message me on these tips or I will have a few more tips in a few days.You do not want to over swing... Anyone else have a few tips ?
    Last edited by Basscaster; 08-25-2018 at 12:10 PM.

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    A good eraser works wonders.

3. Member
    Swing tempo is critical. Most hackers swing tiger like and expect same results without hitting the million plus range balls like he did.
    Somslow it down to tick, tock until you gain control enough to swing hard.

Lossen your grip. You can’t choke the chicken. Hold it softly with your left hand firmer than your right if you are right handed. Lefties, figure it out.

Learn on the range and practice facilities. Not the course!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    A good eraser works wonders.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

5. Member
    practice the short game. practice the short game. practice the short game. Most anybody after playing for a while can get within 50 yards of the green in regulation, usually closer than that. If you can get a wedge or chip within 15 feet of the cup consistently, and two putt regularly, you are well on your way to bogey golf. Drive for show, putt for dough is one of the most accurate statements ever made in golf.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    practice the short game. practice the short game. practice the short game. Most anybody after playing for a while can get within 50 yards of the green in regulation, usually closer than that. If you can get a wedge or chip within 15 feet of the cup consistently, and two putt regularly, you are well on your way to bogey golf. Drive for show, putt for dough is one of the most accurate statements ever made in golf.
    This is the absolute #1 thing high handicap players dont practice. Almost every double bogey I make can be attributed to a short game issue. Usually a bladed or chili dipped chip. Or a 3 putt.

I used to chip a lot with 6 and 8 iron if close enough to the green. More consistent.

7. Banned
    The sooner you can get the ball down and rolling, the better off you are chipping. Close to the fringe, I'll putt it towards the hole. I mostly chip with an 8 iron using a putting stroke if I'm too far away to putt. If I am more than 6 ot 8 feet off the green with not much green to work with, I use a 52, 56 or 60 degree wedge depending on the shot. It's easier to roll it to the hole than to try to fly it to a certain spot for me.

The first lesson I ever took I was standing there with the driver when the instructor walked to the practice area. He looked at me and said you can put that driver away, if you cannot hit a wedge shot, you cannot score. I was in my first year playing, at age 45, when I took that lesson. I took his advice and practiced relentlessly with the wedges, so much so I was burning through two sets of grips a year on my wedges. Still, the only way I got through 100 and then 90 was to not use a driver. I switched out my 3, 4 and 5 irons for hybrids.

I firmly believe tempo and balance in the golf swing is of major importance. It took me several years, but I finally figured out that a very slow backswing works perfect for me, almost Hideki like. I always suggest playing with the tempo until you find something that is comfortable. I also, based on a video I saw, started practicing iron swings while standing on a piece of 2x4 lumber. You will know real quick if your weight is on your heels or toes. That helped me feel pure balance.

Lastly, the best advice I ever received from an instructor was the following: When you go to the range to practice, practice what you went there for, tempo, backswing, release, balance, impact position, etc. Just practice the funamentals and DO NOT practice how far you can hit it the ball. Once he told me this I started looking around at the driving range and voila, 90% of the people had the driver out and were swinging for glory.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

9. Member
    Do some homework, watch instructional videos. When you hit a bad shot, understand why you hit that poorly. Go to the driving range. Use their chipping and putting greens to practice. The best tip i've got was to slow down the back swing, it does make a difference.

10. Member
    Pro told me tonight:

sign in Golf shop

6 lessons for $500
    2 lessons for $1000
    1 lesson for $2000

when asked why the high cost of one lesson, he answered “If you expect a miracle, you should pay for it!”

11. Member
    Lots of good advise !!! here is something to ponder;
    most people go and buy clubs and expect to play good because they have good clubs !!! its a good idea to buy good equipment, here is the kicker they get shelf clubs and the swing weights could be all over the board !!! what people should do is get properly fit to their clubs !!! me for instance when I do buy a new set of clubs I tell the shop where I am buying the clubs to cut grips off a put the swing weight that I am a custom to and put the preferred grip that I want on the clubs !!! and Practice is the key know exactly how far you can hit every club in your bag !!! you want to get good at chipping get you a cloths basket and 10 balls and practice at the yardage you are having problem with , try to get as many of the balls you can in the basket !!! try it you will be amazed how it will help you !!! and keep your head down if you want to see a bad shot look up !!!!
    Last edited by strmwalker; 08-27-2018 at 04:41 PM.

12. Fishing is a Passion
    If you do not have a proper grip, golf is very difficult.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

I dont know how to share this. But Ryan Rustand aka Coach Rusty on Swing x Swing golf instruction. Talks about ball position. If the ball is back in your stance then you have to adjust your shoulders. When you make contact with the ball you will already be turned and will pull the shot. Great advice and I played much better this past weekend because of this.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Pro told me tonight:

sign in Golf shop

6 lessons for $500
    2 lessons for $1000
    1 lesson for $2000

when asked why the high cost of one lesson, he answered “If you expect a miracle, you should pay for it!”

15. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Rule #1 - Quit watching the golf instruction shows on the Golf Channel.
    Rule #2 - Quit reading any golf instruction tips written in any golf magazine.
    Rule #3 - Quit reading any golf instruction tips off of BBC.
    Rule #4 - Find a quality golf coach or instructor and stick with their program.
    Rule #5 - Practice your azz off. Spend double amount of time on your short game than your long game.

^^^This is how you get better at golf.^^^

16. Member
    Rule #5 - Practice your azz off. Spend double amount of time on your short game than your long game.

forgot rule #6 - this is not baseball. Keep feet planted and limit your body movement as much as possible during your backswing.

Yes you do transfer your weight, but most people try to over kill it and end up dipping or raising up, or doing something off the wall and the ball either hooks hard or slices. Got to find your own style that fits you, but there is no need in doing the most that could hinder you more than ever help you.

17. Member
    [QUOTE=jc1992;9623730]forgot rule #6 - this is not baseball. Keep feet planted and limit your body movement as much as possible during your backswing.

Yes you do transfer your weight, but most people try to over kill it and end up dipping or raising up, or doing something off the wall and the ball either hooks hard or slices. Got to find your own style that fits you, but there is no need in doing the most that could hinder you more than ever help you.[/QUOTNot that it matters!

18. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Keep your feet planted and it will destroy your back in golf. Jack Nicklaus certainly didn't, neither did Sam Snead.

Breaking 100 is just short game and putting, 90 is what kills me. I just don't break 90 as consistently as I should. Tend to blow up on one or two holes and shoot 91-93 more often than under 90.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

1 & 2 is what you'll get pretty much get from #4.
    A little free tip here or there from tv or a magazine can click with some people to shave a few strokes off their game if they practice what they see or read. Pretty much the same paying for lessons. You have to practice what they teach or you won't get better.
    So no matter where you get your instruction from your number 5 is pretty much the answer.
    #3...see your post #2.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast