Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Keep your feet planted and it will destroy your back in golf. Jack Nicklaus certainly didn't, neither did Sam Snead.
    If this is destroying or hurting your back, then you are trying to do way too much. Also, they are the few that can get away with doing that but why make your swim more complicated then needed? Ever lesson I have taken fro pros, they will tell you straight up to stop moving your feet.

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    You've had some bad lessons from bad teaching pros.

To be fair, Jack wound up having back problems in the early 80’s which caused him to change his swing then.

Raising the left heel and shifting weight to the right side back in the old days was an attempt to gain more body turn in order to increase club head speed to maximize distance. The left heel up was also the trigger to start the downswing at the top. At the top, you transitioned to the downswing by replanting the left heel and the rest of the body cascaded back through along with shifting weight to the left and turning through till impact.
    Todays modern equipment makes it easier to build that swing speed without needing the same amount of body turn. It keeps you more centered on the ball and allows you to shift easier from right to left. The bad is, especially watching so many of these young pro bombers, like Justin Thomas, is they’re using the ground as a means of leverage to swing through at stupidly high swing rates but it’s putting a tremendous amount of strain on their lower back. Jason Day has already spoke to this, he realizes what he’s doing to his body swinging this way and has already accepted that he’ll have a shorter career because of it.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Ok.....LOL. I hope that you aren't a golf coach either. Jason Day has already changed his swing and is allowing his left foot to roll to take the strain off of his back. Sean Foley is also doing this with Justin Rose. Modern equipment doesn't do anything to help you build swing speed.

The average golfer doesn't have enough flexibility to keep their lower body quiet and create speed, it also makes them come over the top.

5. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    #1 Most golfers have the wrong clubs, buy a set of used clubs that have a Big Sweet spot, When you chip- close the face of the #8 #9# wedge and let the club get the ball in the air. When chipping- Have 60% of your weight on your front foot. I am a 90-95 golfer <#on hard courses. I could break 95 on most courses if I teed of the woman tee(lol) or if I only used a # 5,6,7,8, wedge and sand wedge and putter. You do not need to hit the ball over 170 yards on any course. Par 5 =520 yards -3 shots with#5 irons =170= 510 yards and you are 10 yards in front of the green. Think math and fairway.. 340 yard hole-Summer- You can hit 2 grounders in the fairway and be 300+ yards off the tee with 40 yards to the pin..

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    Breaking 100 is just short game and putting, 90 is what kills me. I just don't break 90 as consistently as I should. Tend to blow up on one or two holes and shoot 91-93 more often than under 90.
    Me and you both. When I want to break 90 consistently I have to hit balls every chance I get. That usually means a round and a few large buckets on Friday and a round with my buddy on Saturday. The Friday range time is important. Like 200xp said, go to work on specific things. What really helps me is half swings and working on impact point. Then tempo and my biggest issue is getting over the top a little. I have a zepp deal where it's easy to monitor hand and club path, tempo, and speeds. When it comes to fitted clubs, I dont think they are going to help you unless you have a constant swing. As your swing changes your clubs would need to and most people cant do that.

Go buy Harvey Penicks little red book.

8. Member
    Find a good teaching pro that provide videos of your swing. Practice 100 yds in, your short game is 40% of your score.

9. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Go buy Harvey Penicks little red book.
    Great Book, ez read,very ez read.

I played for over 30 years, barely breaking 100. My wife decided she wanted to learn and found an instructor for both of us. I never felt a huge improvement during lessons and practice, but suddenly I was breaking 90 fairly consistently, last week shot an 84 with 3 penalty strokes. So, it does make a difference getting a pro look at your swing and grip. Short game basics and decent wedges made the biggest impact. Everyone can get close to the green hacking, but getting up and down in 2 is where the scores melt off!
    Sheldon Linhart
    Excelsior Springs, MO
    1995 Dynatrak /Yamaha Pro V150

Best tip i got along time ago.... don't hit it OB off the teebox, thats just pissing away strokes (but I've been playing for 20+ yrs and never have shot 100 or more)

12. Member
    3 handicapper here. Here is an observation from golfing with a lot of different people and what really got me into the 70's consistently. You need to accept whatever miss you may have and manage it properly. What I mean by that is if you consistently hit a slice then just aim a little left and quit trying to pull off tiger woods like shots. Golf is the only sport that most people can play once a month and think they can pull very low percentage shots off. Just because you hit a 7 iron 185 one time does not mean you can ever do that again or consistently. I have seen guys try to pull off a shot that they might do 1 out of 100 attempts. Instead of hitting a 7 iron 110% try hitting a 6 iron 85% or even a 5 iron 60%. You will be amazed how much better the average golfer makes contact truly swinging 75-80%. If you hit more greens in regulation then the score will get lower and lower. This was a hard lesson for me as I am programmed on caveman software... harder the swing=further ball flight. Leave your ego in the car and see if those scores do not come down.

It took me until the second sentence talking about washing grips before I realized this post wasn’t about boat speed...
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

14. Member
    Don't show up at the golf course 10 minutes from tee time, give yourself plenty of time to warm up on the driving range and putting green instead of the front nine.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chass75 View Post
    3 handicapper here. Here is an observation from golfing with a lot of different people and what really got me into the 70's consistently. You need to accept whatever miss you may have and manage it properly. What I mean by that is if you consistently hit a slice then just aim a little left and quit trying to pull off tiger woods like shots. Golf is the only sport that most people can play once a month and think they can pull very low percentage shots off. Just because you hit a 7 iron 185 one time does not mean you can ever do that again or consistently. I have seen guys try to pull off a shot that they might do 1 out of 100 attempts. Instead of hitting a 7 iron 110% try hitting a 6 iron 85% or even a 5 iron 60%. You will be amazed how much better the average golfer makes contact truly swinging 75-80%. If you hit more greens in regulation then the score will get lower and lower. This was a hard lesson for me as I am programmed on caveman software... harder the swing=further ball flight. Leave your ego in the car and see if those scores do not come down.
    Good advice here. Play your drive whether it's a hook or slice.
    PGA pros only swing at 80%.

Practice practice practice. Hit wedges and putt. When I hit a bucket of range balls, I hit 75% wedges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12