Best way to hide bolt heads in carpet

Hey guys. I plan on moving my battery charger to the lid of the bilge area of my boat to free up some space for my power pole pumps. I plan on bolting it. What is the best way to hide the head of the bolts where they dont stick out like a sore thumb in the carpet? Is there any tricks to try to hide them?

2. Member
    use small bolts, 10-24 or the smaller 8-32.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

3. Member
    Could always make the charger a remote one.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

If the carpet is old replace it after install. Or cut an X where the machine screws will go. Pull carpet back and install charger. Then glue carpet back down. Or, if the carpet is not glued real well where the screws are going just use a pliers to pull up on the carpet while you push/screw the screw threw the hole.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    If your carpet is grey/black just color the heads with a sharpie after install. They will blend in better than you'd think.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

hmmm all great ideas guys. I will have to try some of these. Thanks for the help.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    This, one of the best things I've done. You save some weight, charger doesn't get any beating and you don't have to look into your rigging compartment to see if your batteries are full.

8. Member
    Go to Ace hardware and buy chrome or stainless flat headed bolts. You can get them with allen heads in the center to serve as a backup when bolting them on.

Best way to hide screws is to not use them at all. Pop rivets have a much lower profile which will disappear underneath the carpet. Cutting X's like mentioned above is one way, but for a really professional job, carefully pull the carpet up working it with a puty knife, rivet the charger to the lid, then glue back down with contact adhesive. A little extra work, but very nice results.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    Best way to hide screws is to not use them at all. Pop rivets have a much lower profile which will disappear underneath the carpet. Cutting X's like mentioned above is one way, but for a really professional job, carefully pull the carpet up working it with a puty knife, rivet the charger to the lid, then glue back down with contact adhesive. A little extra work, but very nice results.

Right, 8-32 is smaller than a 1/8 rivet head,
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    Right, 8-32 is smaller than a 1/8 rivet head,
    I mean, if you're gonna call a guy out...

1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

12. Member
    They make a 2 piece cap for bolt/screw heads. Piece 1 secures under head, then cap snaps over.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...olts&FORM=IGRE

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    I'll second this approach.

14. Member
    My lid has a support square tube and I cut slots in to it and hose clamped it down. Tight as can be.
    and no going through top. And leaving carpet alone. Is a big win

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    I mean, if you're gonna call a guy out...

Not what I was referring to, I wouldn't use a cheap 1/8" pop rivet to hold the weight of a charger, after some shitty roads and rough water those cheap suckers will break lose.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR