Tennessee Velvet hunt...

Feels odd sitting in a tree in August...just feels wrong... very pleasant this morning though...seen a doe and 2 babies and one small buck, think I'm fixing to get attacked by a grey squirrel...overcast/partly cloudy morning...very very light breeze...just me and a whole lot of fresh air...still hate this damn crossbow though..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

I just couldn’t mKe myself do that last week. It was. Little cooler especially than it’s been this week, but chiggars, ticks, snakes they can have my tree stand for a few more weeks
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

All this that I tried and went thru to try to take a buck in velvet in Tennessee last week and come to find out I wouldn't have been allowed to even bring it back to Alabama... It's in the new CWD rules..

Jonathan Hillstrand

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    All this that I tried and went thru to try to take a buck in velvet in Tennessee last week and come to find out I wouldn't have been allowed to even bring it back to Alabama... It's in the new CWD rules..
    that would have sucked to get a trophy and not be allowed to bring it home...
    opening day is tomorrow for us, bow hunters have the whole month before the gun guys are let loose.
    gonna sweat my but off, can't wait to be in a tree.
    it'll be so hot, deer won't roam till dark.
    but I don't care, I get to camo up, climb a tree and possibly shoot something with my bow.
    kind of like being 10 again.
    won't sleep a wink tonight.

5. Member
    Was running a little late this morning. It was 5:55 by the time I had gotten settled in. 5 minutes later a 2 year old 7 pt and a spike walked by at 12 yards. Been 8 years since I have bow hunted. Thermacell worked well. Decided to hunt with my 1997 Mathews. Did put a new sight on it and buy some carbon arrows and expandable broadheads.

My daughter in law killed a decent 9 point the opening weekend of KY archery. My wife showed me a picture on her phone and it was in full velvet. I know my step son was over about 10-12 days ago showing me some velvet buck pictures and it looks like his wife got one. The best I could tell is was around 100" or slightly more. They have both killed much bigger deer but they were after their first velvet buck.

7. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Cleaned skull, deboned meat and hide you can though, right?

"Importation of the following is allowed: deer meat that has been completely deboned; cleaned skull plates with attached antlers, if no visible brain or spinal cord tissue is present; raw capes, if no visible brain or spinal cord tissue is present; upper canine teeth, if no root structure or other soft tissue is present; and finished taxidermy products or tanned hides."
    Has something changed?
    Last edited by fishnfool38; 09-03-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    Cleaned skull, deboned meat and hide you can though, right?

"Importation of the following is allowed: deer meat that has been completely deboned; cleaned skull plates with attached antlers, if no visible brain or spinal cord tissue is present; raw capes, if no visible brain or spinal cord tissue is present; upper canine teeth, if no root structure or other soft tissue is present; and finished taxidermy products or tanned hides."
    Has something changed?
    Everything has changed since the deer in Mississippi tested positive for cwd last year.. . We didn't have these rules last year... Add to your post no velvet covered antlers..

Don't reckon Tennessee allows any deer from out of state in either..

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Member
    Not anymore in Tennessee. The new laws went into effect this year. No out of state deer that hasn't been fully processed with bones removed.