175 EFI to 150 Pro XS 4stroke

In the process of repowering my Ranger 482VS. It currently has a 175 EFI and found a 25 inch 150 Pro XS 4 stroke. Wondering if I would notice much difference in downgrades to a 150. The dealer said he would put on a jackplate to make us the difference between the 20 inch shaft to a 25inch shaft. Any advice is greatly appreciated. More nervous about the 25 inch shaft affecting performance.

2. Member
    are you plainfield,ind that 25 is for a ponton,you need a 20,i dont think you would ever get the prop to pad set right unless a hyd jackplate would raise it enough

Don't do it. Just order the right engine!! You'll regret it every day after & it'll just look straight up goofy

4. Member
    I did the exact same thing(exact same motor swap). Overall I am happy with the switch. However, finding your holeshot is a bear. Also you will be losing top end speed. My top speed now is only 57 compared to the 65 mph. Fuel economy is unreal though. If they had a 175 4s I would have gone with that. I’m not a speed demon so overall I am very happy.

5. Member
    ***correction. Mine is not the pro xs four stroke. Standard Merc 1504s (2015 model).

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DON'T do this. Need the correct engine!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks for everyone's input. I'm going to wait for the correct motor