Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

175F/S With A DEMON?

1996 175 F/S Engine runs great at WOT coming back to idle it wants to spit(SOMETIMES?)as if it is running lean. let the boat set ten or so minutes ,it starts up drops fast idle ,as soon as you hit the throttle it will die.it took about 10 tries to finally get it to take throttle?Then it runs like a striped ape? I am a new member ( this is my first post) any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Member

Re: 175F/S With A DEMON? (fatdaddy1)

Welcome to the BBC.

Look on the right side just under the round plastic cover on top of the motor, you will see some linkage, on the end of that linkage is a roller, that roller should touch the plastic arm in front of it, if it does not loosen the philips head screw and move the roller forward till it touches.

3. Member

Re: 175F/S With A DEMON? (RUSTY63)

Rusty 63 Thank you for your response, Looked under round cover on right side for roller found to be about 1/4 to 3/8 away loosened screw and moved so as to touch will run boat this afternoo and respond ater thank you

4. Member

Rusty63 JUst came off the lake ,idle is really good (no spit or sputter) ran about 3 or 4 miles sat down idled for 1 min or so cou off engine. then after maybe 5 min. fired it off put in gear push throttle fwd engine cuts off only took about 3or 4 tries to get the boat up and running . I repeated this several with the same results .ANY IDEAS????? mike

5. Member
    Does it pick up if you push the choke in when it tries to die?????????

6. Member

Re: (THE WITCHDOCTOR)

It really doesnt seem to help much if any at all. I tried that as I was attempting to load it on the trailer.

7. Member

See if the carb bowls are wet with fuel, if they are the bowls may be warped, replace them or remove them and sand them flat.

Let us know what you find.

8. Member

Rusty, replaced bowl gskts in fall (leaking fuel ) I am really at a loss if it were a car i would think it was trying to vapor lock

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

See SeaHorse's post on the early Truder/FS's. Also did you check the bowl's with a piece of flat stock or a scale to verify warpage? Your work may have been for not if you have a warped bowl. you may have to take them off again and recheck them side to side and front to back. If you have warpage you can try and sand them down and get them back to normal. About a 50-60% sucess rate may be higher in your area, what happens is when the tech does the rebuild on the carbs he doesn't check them first and then re-assembles them and then overtightens them. Thus increasing the problem when he puts them back together.

10. Member

Re: 175F/S With A DEMON? (ChampioNman)

Thanks for the input will check and advise Even though i have no fuel leakage it could be the fuel bowls are warped?

11. Member

Mine is a 98. I have 6 carbs. Mine acted the same way. Mine turned out to be trash in a bowl seat, not allowing it to seal and flooding a cylinder at idle. This is how I found it. I was told to pull the airbox and find the little brass colored tube above each carb opening. Then I pumped the fuel bulb as tight as I could. Then I kept pumping it. The carb with the trash pumped fuel out of the brass tube. I pulled that one and cleaned it. My problem went away. If you find the same, you might get lucky by pulling the drain screw and pumping and draining it a couple of times, to flush out the junk.

Hope you get is solved. Please post whatever you find.

Good luck,
    Dayton

12. Member

Re: 175F/S With A DEMON? (Ranger690)

THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO WILL TRY THIS IN A DAY , FISHING TOURNEY TOMORROW WILL ADVISE AS TO RESULTS I FIND

Had exact same problem with mine and had carbs rebuilt, VRO rplaced, vapor seperater replaced and last but not least, fuel squeeze bulb. Runs like a spotted ass ape for #1300.00 94 190 DC/ 175 Fastrike. Also I saw your other post about power pak, which I've also replaced. My regulater/ rectifier had a melt down and actually caught fire and my mech. at the time only relaced that. Come to find out, they recomend you also replace your stator. When I had my cabs rebuilt my mech. discoverd my stator was melted.

Modified by bkfish at 11:01 AM 5/21/2005

14. Member

Well, ran boat in tourn. It still bogs or shuts off completly,I did play with the choke just to see if it would help if you hold in the choke,when the engines sounds as it is loading you can push the throttle fwd. and go.Biut it sputters fairly bad and this does not seem to be consistant. I really thought it maybe has an piece of trash in one of the orfice tubes ,so I darined the carbs and found min. trash ,ran on hose pulled plug wires to see if I could locate weak/misfiring cyl. seems to be the middle on the bank on drivers side. I pulled off this carb and checked the tube (open)<BUT lo and behold this carb. bowl seems to be warped. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THIS WARPED FUEL BOWL TO CAUSE THIS PROBLEM EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO SIGNS OF A FUEL LEAK? help!!!!!!!!

15. Member

Yes, if the center of the bowl is pulled away because of warping it can pull air in and not pull fuel, there should be a round gasket in the center, see if it has depressions on both sides all the way around.

16. Member

You are saying that it(the carb) can pull air through the center/ also all idle screws are backed out 5 to5 1/2 turns its it possible this is also the reason for this/

17. Member

Yes, that is what I am saying, the center of the carb is where the fuel is pulled when accelerating.

The carb screws being out 5 to 5 1/2 turns should only make the mixture a bit rich at idle.

18. Member

I will remove the bowl tomorrow and check this I will call you at your dealership if it is O.K.. I really thank you for your patience and most of all your help Mike

19. Member

Mike, give me a call, Hope we can get this problem resolved.

20. Member

John, I sanded all the carb bowls and re assembled them on the engine Ran boat htis evening ,still wants to stumble at idle you try to throttle up after it warms up it still wants to fall on its face.I thought I might fatten up on the idle screws and try again. ANY SUGGESTIONS????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast