14 225 Proxs idling issues

Buddies Ranger with a 14 225 Pro xs on the back.

Serial # 2B091864

Cold startup first thing off the trailer, runs great and idles just fine. Nothing to report.

Run to first spot, fish for about 45 minutes or so, maybe less, and fire the motor up. Drop it in gear and it idles like crap and wants to die for about 30 seconds then cleans up and runs great. If you dont pedal the hotfoot while its in gear, it will die out and you have to restart it. It will do this pretty much every time you come to a spot, fish for a bit then fire the motor up.

Been to the dealer, cant find anything wrong. Their are no alarms present and nothing shows on the Mercmonitor. I have verified good fuel lines, good primer bulb, good fuel and DFI oil, thermostats cleaned, new plugs, water separator/fuel filter, good water pressure, and new water pump.

Any help?
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

2. Member
    Try pumping the bulb before every engine start.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... every single start. Especially critical in temps above 60F.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

60!!!???? HOLY C$%&!! Can only imagine at 95F and 85% humidity I only have vapors in the fuel line

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1... every single start. Especially critical in temps above 60F.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- and that can/does happen more than folks realize.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I'll let him know. I think it will be on the water this weekend.

Thank you for the help.
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

7. Member
    This is considered normal to have to pump the ball every startup? Seems ridiculous....
    2010 NITRO Z7

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro2130 View Post
    This is considered normal to have to pump the ball every startup? Yes Seems ridiculous....

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro2130 View Post
    This is considered normal to have to pump the ball every startup? Seems ridiculous....
    You can thank today's "fuels" (term used loosely). It is extremely important to pump the bulb before EVERY engine start (especially critical in temps above 60 degrees F).

10. Member
    Update.

No good. Pumped primer bulb before he started and it still does it. Multiple times he tried it.
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

11. Member
    take to shop that has tech that can go to lake with him to duplicate problem , report back with fuel psi readings on hot start up,
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be good to have both the low and high fuel pressures (at same time)... can help immensely when trying to diagnose these types of problems.

Best scenario would be a video of the fuel pressure gauges when it's doing this.