Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Review of my Huckabee rod after one trip

Went fishing Tuesday morning and got to put my new rod to work. 5 minutes after being at the first spot I get bit and set the hook and the reel flys off the Tennessee Handle and into the water it goes. I was able to get the reel and pull it back in with the line and tighten it down again only to have the exact same thing happen on the next hookset. After that I was a bit frustrated and picked up my jenko and didnt look back. I made one phone call to a guy who fishes the rod and ask him about it and he laughed and said he has two of the dipping rods with that specific handle and he has to use electrical tape to keep the reels on. I then sent a guide who uses them a facebook message and he also stated he has to use tape to keep his on. He said they were going to go away from that handle and go to a fixed handle on the new dipping rods. I really had a hard time putting tape on a 100 dollar rod to keep the reel on but I did it anyways. I went ahead and went to the website and sent an email asking about the issue and the response with very prompt from the owner. He did state tape is about the only way to keep it on the rod and that alot of people use the grip tape over the electric tape and have good success. All in all I think I will be pleased with the rod, but I certainly will be buying any more with the Tennessee handle. This is not a bash what so ever. I plan on buying several more Huckabee rods in the future. This is just a FYI to anyone considering the Tennessee Handle models.

2. Member
    If it has rings and they are moving on you get some 5 or 6 mil shrink tubing and put a 2 inch piece front and back over the rings then shrink it down with a heat gun, you can remove the rings and shrink over the reel foot also. The tubing looks good and it comes in many colors including clear.

3. Member
    Taping ain't such a bad thing. We did a lot of it years ago. I think I had some Charlie Brewer's that didn't even have rings. Once you find the sweet spot then lock 'er down. Don't recall as shrink wrap had been born yet. Thanks for the report, been considering one myself. Understand they have more backbone that the BGJP--is that correct? What about the action? Is it faster? Thank you

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Taping ain't such a bad thing. We did a lot of it years ago. I think I had some Charlie Brewer's that didn't even have rings. Once you find the sweet spot then lock 'er down. Don't recall as shrink wrap had been born yet. Thanks for the report, been considering one myself. Understand they have more backbone that the BGJP--is that correct? What about the action? Is it faster? Thank you
    Lot of backbone and fast. Used it again yesterday. I really do like this rod!

5. Member
    As a Tennessean I can tell you I have been using tape to attach my reels to the cork handle for years.

I think the ability to feel the light bite is enhanced by the use of tape.

Good luck.

6. Member
    I like Tenn handles! Always have used tape on them, 1st time I taped one I was about 10 yrs old, I'll be 65 in 2 moths!

Always taped my Tenn Handles too.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

8. Member
    thanks for the review of the rod. I do remember using electrical tape on those handles .

Better than electrical tape...no sticky residue. You can find it at hardware stores as rescue tape. Basically it is a self fusing silicone tape. You can use zip ties to initially hold the real when you start the tape, and then cut the zip ties off.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape-...K0QPJXC3KHXZET

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLakeLunker View Post
    Better than electrical tape...no sticky residue. You can find it at hardware stores as rescue tape. Basically it is a self fusing silicone tape. You can use zip ties to initially hold the real when you start the tape, and then cut the zip ties off.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape-...K0QPJXC3KHXZET
    Thanks, will check it out!

11. Member
    If you want a stiffer pole and stay with BnM try the Buck's Gold Jig pole.

If you dealt with Ken Roberson, that's a really stand up guy. When I got my Dipping rod 2 years ago Ken told me to set my reel where it was balanced a felt right and put a few wraps of tape against the reel keepers and I was like you, didn't want to put tape on it. 2 years later I can honestly say I will not spend a dime on any other rod other than a Todd Huckabee rod. I've tried a bunch but to me nothing is even remotely close.

Mark Welch Bossier Parish,LA. "Sportsman's Paradise"
    Check out my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Altered-IRO...4017377675928/
    '90 PROCroft 180, Mercury 150 xr4
    '03 WaterMoccasin pirogue 54lb. MotorGuide

13. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-o View Post
    If you dealt with Ken Roberson, that's a really stand up guy. When I got my Dipping rod 2 years ago Ken told me to set my reel where it was balanced a felt right and put a few wraps of tape against the reel keepers and I was like you, didn't want to put tape on it. 2 years later I can honestly say I will not spend a dime on any other rod other than a Todd Huckabee rod. I've tried a bunch but to me nothing is even remotely close.
    I did deal with Ken through email and also on facebook. Great and fast customer service on both. No complaints. Once I realized that it was not a fault I felt better about it. LOL I have used the rod several more times and like you will be buying many more.

Through the last 3 years I’ve purchase 6 pro series. Hands down, best rod to feel the thump and swing em in the boat. Wife and I love them.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

15. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CHECrappie View Post
    Through the last 3 years I’ve purchase 6 pro series. Hands down, best rod to feel the thump and swing em in the boat. Wife and I love them.

16. Member
    I with Boomer Sooner. I don't want a $100 rod I have to tape the reel to. For vertical presentations I like my Crappie Getter rods and Ozarks seem real nice too. I've handled a couple but I don't own one.

17. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    I with Boomer Sooner. I don't want a $100 rod I have to tape the reel to. For vertical presentations I like my Crappie Getter rods and Ozarks seem real nice too. I've handled a couple but I don't own one.
    I have kind of just sucked it up. Have used it multiple times now and no issues. Very stout rod. I wont buy another with the Tennessee handle but I will buy more huckabee rods.