Thread: Carp Fishing

Carp Fishing

Anybody ever try to catch the Asian Carp? Is it possible to catch them on a rob and reel?

2. Member
    Put in at the ramp below Barkley dam. Troll towards the dam a little and throw a crankbait towards the rip rap on the bank. I couldn’t keep them off. Of course, they weren’t caught in the mouth!

Below barkley here

I really like asian carp better than catfish the few times I have eaten eat. I have never caught any myself to fillet, but the meat was very good. They are not a nasty grass carp...these eat the same things as bluegill, crappie, etc. My understanding is that you have to ice them immediately or fillet them quickly as they start to go bad once out of the water.

5. Member
    My brother holds the state record silver right now. He caught it below Barkley on a crappie jig. (in the mouth)

6. Banned
    They are filter feeders, they just swim around with their mouths open near the surface. Pretty easy to snag them below KY Dam, especially if casting a spoon with a big treble hook on it.

I had one jump in the boat last Friday night at Kenlake. It was completely dark and I was moving along just a little faster than idle and it leaped up nearly hitting me in the nose before dropping down to my feet, covering my shoes in slime and crapping all over the place. It was about a 4 lb fish, about the same size as the bass I caught that night.

7. Member
    You can catch them at will below the dams on a 2-3" silver spoon. The key to landing them is... Don't jerk hard on the hookset, ease into them and you'll boat almost all of them. You'll feel a thump, just like a largemouth and it will be in their mouths when you reel them in.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

8. Member
    Use a heavy bass rod with braid. Tie two 1/0 treble hooks about six inches apart above an ounce and a half catfish sinker. Two palamor knots above the sinker. Use your side scan to locate the schools. It helps if you have it up front on the trolling motor. In the fall, look in the bays anywhere from three to fifteen feet. Cast out and use a steady straight retrieve. They will let you know if your in the right area. You catch about every fifth one you hit with the rig. Make sure you have a gaff to avoid bringing them into the boat. Some may call it snagging.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk201 View Post
    Use a heavy bass rod with braid. Tie two 1/0 treble hooks about six inches apart above an ounce and a half catfish sinker. Two palamor knots above the sinker. Use your side scan to locate the schools. It helps if you have it up front on the trolling motor. In the fall, look in the bays anywhere from three to fifteen feet. Cast out and use a steady straight retrieve. They will let you know if your in the right area. You catch about every fifth one you hit with the rig. Make sure you have a gaff to avoid bringing them into the boat. Some may call it snagging.
    That's right there in a gray area that could be considered snagging....lots of violations there if the game warden deemed it to be snagging. Can't snag from a boat or platform, only allowed one treble hook, snagging out of season, and so on.

You better make sure you have some nightcrawlers or some sort of live bait in hand if using your method, if you're just casting out bare hooks like you mentioned then it's considered snagging. That's why I mentioned the casting spoon above, it's legal from a boat, and it works.

10. Banned
    Slime is difficult to remove from your carpet, even if it just gets on there from your net.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Paduke View Post
    Slime is difficult to remove from your carpet, even if it just gets on there from your net.
    Just let it dry, take a brush and it comes right off, been there and done it many times.If you try to get off with water, it just spreads and gets worst!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Just let it dry, take a brush and it comes right off, been there and done it many times.If you try to get off with water, it just spreads and gets worst!!
    Rodney is spot on^^

Ky Lake is becoming a less destination spot all the time. Not only have the bass become more difficult to catch, but you get hit by fish, get fish slime and schit all over you and your boat carpet.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Ky Lake is becoming a less destination spot all the time. Not only have the bass become more difficult to catch, but you get hit by fish, get fish slime and schit all over you and your boat carpet.
    Yup and yup. I loved it lake. Now I don't care if I ever go back

15. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    +1,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by Will Seyler View Post
    I don't care if I ever go back

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

16. Member
    I do keep going back and trying off the wall different stuff to no avail though on crappie and bass. Fall has been my favorite time of year to fish for several years but me or Randy has not had much luck!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    I do keep going back and trying off the wall different stuff to no avail though on crappie and bass. Fall has been my favorite time of year to fish for several years but me or Randy has not had much luck!
    Guy I work with is a pretty serious crappie fisherman. He has been catching good crappie in 12’ of water on brush piles. He said he has been using minnows and 16’ poles. Feels one of the keys is the 16’ poles.

18. Member
    Just a thought why not shock them up. Let the fish And wild life shock
    them and have follow boats scope them up. They could use
    commercial fishermem pay them so much a pound over market price. The have bigger boats. They could also ask for volunteers
    Assist them. You could remove thousands of them eventually decreasing their number or even remove the all

P

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobass01 View Post
    Just a thought why not shock them up. Let the fish And wild life shock
    them and have follow boats scope them up. They could use
    commercial fishermem pay them so much a pound over market price. The have bigger boats. They could also ask for volunteers
    Assist them. You could remove thousands of them eventually decreasing their number or even remove the all

P
    They've been having weekly bowfishing tournaments and just burying them.

There's a bounty on them this Saturday at $0.10 per lb for the first 35,000 lbs - local businesses have chipped in the money for it, all in the Eddyville/Kuttawa area so they are only paying for Asian Carp out of Barkley Lake. It will be interesting to see what happens.

MUDDYFLATZ BOUNTY ON BARKLEY UPDATE: $200 TOP PRODUCER MONEY AND An INCREASE TO FIRST 35,000 lbs!

In addition Our three original sponsors: Eddy Creek Marina, Hu-b’s at Kuttawa Marina & Lake Barkley Tourism we now have two more sponsors. Legacy Marine is giving an extra $200.00 to the top producer and BOWFISHING ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA has increased the bounty to 35,000 lbs with a $500 donation! Wade

asiancarpbountyevent.jpg

FB_IMG_1535939792842.jpg

FB_IMG_1535939801411.jpg

FB_IMG_1535939812811.jpg