Thread: throwing blades

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    One has to think is there something else here at play causing a water turbulence In the prop area . Like a nick or gouge in the hall a gouged up lower unit in front of the prop . I have heard of guys mounting locator transducers directly in front of the lower units on the stepped hall causing issues. . After the 2 nd prop I would be taking a closer look in these areas .
    This was discussed on the Allison board and the feeling was exactly as mentioned here where the Lowrance transducer location was causing a water disturbance which in turn caused an increase in thrown blades. A lot of Bullet guys know Tim Powell. He was one of the guys that had first hand experience with this issue.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

2. Member
    If you are turning upwards of 6500 rpm loaded, you might want to think about moving up to a 26P to help keep your rpms down around 6200 to 6300 WOT. How is your hole shot?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    They don't throw blades if running high?
    Haven't yet

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry35 View Post
    I just got a new signature SL4 26 I ordered from Hill Marine in California the prop will be tested soon and I’ll let you know how it performs. Talked to 2 prop guys and was told to order straight from Hill Marine not to buy off of eBay, they are designed to run high and perform well on Bullet’s and several other boats and can be surfaced one of the prop guys said he’s only known one to throw a blade but the boat runs in the high 90’s so I’m not concerned my skeeter won’t come close to that only bad thing is they come in even pitch only so I will have to have some knocked out of it most likely but won’t do that till the cooler weather moves in and I get some good test numbers.,
    they are good props! Kurt performance is a good place to buy them also. He is a direct dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry35 View Post
    Not saying they don’t this is is my first experience with them but with that being said they are designed to be surfaced and have been ran on high performance boats for a good while only one shop knowing of one throwing a blade at over 90 mph tells me it is not a common occurrence all props can throw a blade especially when surfaced as it puts a ton of pressure on them some props are more prone to this happening and any prop that has had the blades thinned or hit something and had repairs done to it are probably more likely to have a failure with that said you may run one for years that has been worked on or stock and never have a problem or you may throw one right out of the box but since this prop is designed to run high I wouldn’t think it would throw on as easy but I could be completely wrong but I know a lot of bullet boats run them with great success
    they will surface and run big numbers,but the bravo copy SL4 wont run with a signature 4,it is a merc pro et copy ,,,,your mistaking the signature series,they are thick bladed and usually out of balance and pitch off as much as 1or 2 between blades. they are a strong casting,many top prop shops use the blanks,to make et and pro et cuts and ally/bullet cuts. my last signature 3 was allison cut, back in 03 and just broke it this year,,newer ones are better steel. I have a sanderson b n b, et cut, sig4,on the way, my fishin prop is a sanderson allison cut 27p trophy doubled cupped to near 29p,and runs zero to 85 as fast as you can trim up my 300pmax,,,cruises 80mph@5500,never slung a blade on a trophy,and I run it as high as any merc chopper on allison xb2003/300pm.

How many of all these thrown blades were on props that were balanced and blueprinted? A prop that is not balanced will sling a blade sooner than one that is balanced and also if one blade is higher in pitch than the others, it has more stress on it than the others.

How many have slung a blade on a B&B prop?

I did on a Fury 4, 2 weeks after I had it done. Prop was 3 months old.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

8. Member
    I have never lost a blade on any of my props in 34 years of owning bassboats . All of my props where B&B . All my boats and motors where set up for best top end performance.

9. Member
    Yes sir, I put a brand new fury 4 on and it threw a blade as soon as I came out of the no wake zone, I was running 52 miles per in 45 feet of water, so I know I didn't hit anything. Carried back to the Mercury trailer at the tournament weigh in location. And was told it was happening all over the country with the first few batches released when the prop came out. I was assured that they had corrected the problem, that was May and I have not still received a refund or my new prop.

10. Member
    I threw a blade on two Temptest Plus Props last year. Both had been B&B. Ran them on a Z9 at 3.5”ptp

11. Member
    I would think that anytime you alter a prop from it's original shape, it may not hold up as well

Balance and Blueprint does not really alter the shape. It just brings each blade to tighter specs to each other, making them exactly the same pitch, rake, cup, pitch progression and balances them all to near perfect. It seems to me it would reduce the chance of slinging a blade. If one blade is .5" more pitch than the others, it seems that it would have the most stress on it and be more likely to fail.

13. Member
    It depends on who did the b&b. If it wasn't done right at the factory, it may only weaken the prop. With that said, the likelihood of him buying that many bad props is VERY low. A Verado should be running a Bravo1 FS with all the holes plugged. The supercharger needs more exhaust backpressure for proper cylinder scavenging. The Ranger and Triton stepped hulls don't like the transom mounted transducers so people usually mount them on the step, in front of the lower unit. As mentioned before, this and the hull should be checked.
    Last edited by BulletV; 11-09-2018 at 09:28 AM.

14. Member
    The Bravo1 XS may be spinning too fast coming out of the hole and then grabbing hard when the bow drops. That' never good on a heavier boat, like a Ranger or Triton.
    Last edited by BulletV; 11-09-2018 at 09:29 AM.

15. Member
    I bought 2 Trophies in a row that threw blades, and they did it within 100 yards of each other on the river!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12