Help a KY Boy out with St Clair

So spur of the moment my partner and I decided we re going back to St Cair next weekend.. Yeah I know boats will be out along with stupid people. Anyway I have been about 10 times usually in the spring when it's Stupid Fishing and any body feels like they are a PROFESSIONAL.. I have also been in Late September when it was tough...

So I can read some reports about catches but they change daily.. Im trying to figure out if Metro to Anchor Bay or Nine mile down to the River would be the better areas to focus on Next weekend..

In KY I know how Bass Transition from Spring to Summer to Fall and then Winter.... I do not know how the fish transition at St Clair in MI.. Do they eventually move back shallow or stay deeper till next April and May? Should I focus on finding shools and DS drag a tube? Fish Channel or Strawberry Island for example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    Jon

2. Member
    Canada is the place to be.

canada 18-20 fow. Weeds. Dropshot.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    canada 18-20 fow. Weeds. Dropshot.
    Yep!

5. Member
    Canada is great but you can still catch good fish on the US side as well. Our local club fished a tourney there yesterday and everyone fished American waters. Many limits and some up to 19 pounds were weighed in and most were within a few miles of the Harley launch. Yeah 23 pound limits were brought in by BFL guys but we only fish St. Clair a few times a year and don't have much experience. My advice would be to get out in 16-18 fow and drift, throwing a dropshot and just covering water. Mark a waypoint every time you catch one and try and find a concentration of fish. Some areas are dead but others will hold small schools. Yes it sounds tedious but it's the best advice I have. Good luck.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glsbass View Post
    Canada is great but you can still catch good fish on the US side as well. Our local club fished a tourney there yesterday and everyone fished American waters. Many limits and some up to 19 pounds were weighed in and most were within a few miles of the Harley launch. Yeah 23 pound limits were brought in by BFL guys but we only fish St. Clair a few times a year and don't have much experience. My advice would be to get out in 16-18 fow and drift, throwing a dropshot and just covering water. Mark a waypoint every time you catch one and try and find a concentration of fish. Some areas are dead but others will hold small schools. Yes it sounds tedious but it's the best advice I have. Good luck.
    Not to be a jerk but with all the high tech electronics we have, I don't think I would fish without seeing fish and how they were relating to structure or bottom. Keep moving till the Lowrance lights up.

Not always easy to see bottom huggin smallmouth in 2 feet of perch grass....

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

8. Member
    Usually looking for fish on the sonar is more efficient but St Clair is a little different. You just have to keep moving and fishing. You will see some occasionally and u can drop on em but fishing is the best way to locate them. Just my experience anyway

9. Member
    Canada, come back in April...
    -Matt

10. Member
    What about the dumping ground area ?