smoking with pear wood

Have any of you guys used pear wood to smoke with. i have a tree that needs trimming just wonder if anyone has cooked with it. thanks

I had some peach trees at my old house (years ago) and I used some green limbs to smoke something with and it came out terrible! lol I think what I'm trying to say is you might let it season a little bit before using it...

Pear, peach, plum, apple. I save my trimmed limbs to throw in the smoker or egg. Let them dry out first.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by V6MERC View Post
    I had some peach trees at my old house (years ago) and I used some green limbs to smoke something with and it came out terrible! lol I think what I'm trying to say is you might let it season a little bit before using it...
    I bet it smoked well, regardless of the taste, being green...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    I bet it smoked well, regardless of the taste, being green...
    Oh it did! I was "green" to smoking food back then as well!

6. Member
    Thanks for the information

7. Member
    Pear wood should be used sparingly...especially fresh pear wood. The results when used properly are awesome...along with peach, apple, grapefruit, orange, and grape wood is really good too! I use to have a source of which to buy chunks from, for all of the above and more....never kiln dried or bagged in plastic and shipped like common stores carry. When the wood is kiln dried to reduce the chance of fire in shipping over half of the flavor is gone. I use just a few chunks dry on top of my lump charcoal for the best results right at the beginning and never add more during cooking. White meats are easily over-smoked with most exotic woods...you have to get the hang of it...then...wow..you'll have new friends in a hurry. My favorite is pecan...

8. Member
    Pecan is mine too its what i use on all of my cooks.