Thread: Beef Short-Ribs

Beef Short-Ribs

Well, it's my first time smoking beef short-ribs this weekend so I thought I would check with the BBC experts to see who has the best recipe. Best wood, best rub, temp, time, wrap or don't wrap, rest or don't rest... there are just so many options I can't decide so how do you do yours? I'll be smoking on an offset charcoal grill/smoker with some chunk wood in case that matters.

2. Member
    salt pepper mesquite wood...250 temp til tender
    TrackerUser

3. Banned
    Me....BGE...Cherry wood, 225 if cut 250 uncut till probe like butter. Start checking around 195 Internal temp. I like peppery rubs like meat church holy cow. No crutch, then wrap when done for 45min-1hr if uncut and no wrap for cut ones. You might need to spritz but I don't know your smoker.

4. Member
    We did a yellow mustard rub and it was fantastic

I started with a salt/pepper/garlic "all purpose" rub I got from Killer Hogs BBQ. http://www.killerhogs.com/ I smoked em at 250 for about 3 hours where they hit 165 internal and stalled so I wrapped them in foil and added a cup of juice I made from beef broth, a little Soy sauce, and some Worcestershire. After wrapping them up it took about 2 more hours for them to hit 203 where I removed them from the smoker and placed them in a cooler for 2 hours. They were just a little salty tasting due to the rub combined with the Soy in the juice so next time I'm going to adjust that but otherwise it was some of the best meat I've ever made, very very tender... just one bite and the bone was clean. The meat had the consistency of a high quality rib-eye cooked to medium rare. A good 7 out of 10 this time but once I adjust the seasoning and juice to have a little less salt, they'll be even better.

6. Member
    Sounds good! You could always use apple juice or cider to "bathe" them.

I actually like doing them indirectly on the Weber Kettle for about 2 hours or so get the smoke flavor. I use apple and hickory chunks. Then instead of continuing them on the grill I like to make a homemade BBQ sauce or in a pinch you can use your favorite brand, and finish them in the crock pot on low. Plus the nice thing is if you are serving them for company at say a party they keep well and stay warm this way. Usually about 4 hours in the crockpot on low after they have been smoked on the grill. Plus by having them in the crockpot I don't have to baby sit them at all. You can use the same hack for doing pork butts and shoulders. Except in that case I do 3-4 hours on the grill and 4-5 in the crock pot.

7. Banned
    We don't eat beef ribs in the Mid South. We eat baby back pork ribs. They are much more reasonably priced too.

8. Member
    Bama, you are missing out!!! wallyworld centercut $2.99 lb

9. Member
    Yeah beef ribs are killer! I usually do salt and pepper along with a light dusting of a spicy beef rub that I made up. Smoke with mesquite at 225 until the internal temp is around 200-205. Man they are good. Someone on here said cherry would, I bet that would be good too. May have to try that next time. I'm a pork rib lover but I love beef ribs just as much. Totally different flavor.