Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke Break-In

I just picked up my new boat with the new 250 4 stroke and the dealer must have left the owners manual out. I need to know how I can find the manual online or if anyone has a picture of the page in the manual with the break in procedure.
    2024 Phoenix 721 ProXP/ 2024 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Dual 8ft Power-Pole Blades
    Lowrance Electronics

www.phoenixbassboats.com
    www.mercurymarine.com
    www.power-pole.com
    www.freedommarinecenter.com
    www.bassboattech.com

Its the same as the 2 stroke. 2hrs under load, and 10hrs no full throttle for more then a minute.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    I'll be glad to take a picture of mine and send it to you later when I'm home from work. It says for the first two hours to run it at various RPM's up to 4500 RPM and to run it WOT for 1 minute every 10 minutes. Then, up to 10 hours it just says not to run WOT for more than 5 minutes. After 10 hours it is ready for sustained WOT.

That's best I recall from sitting at my desk but, like I mentioned, will grab a pic of it later for you if no one else responds by then.
    Last edited by ll2014; 08-23-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: wrong info

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Post #3 is close to my recollection.

Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info with your post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. mikesxpress

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Wouldn’t the 1 minute at full throttle exceed the 4500 rpm? Picking mine up Sat and just verifying 🤣 BTW, 2019 Z520C
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 FS

7. mikesxpress
    Yes it will. Part of the break-in.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They want the engine run hard once every 10 minutes to make sure rings and other moving components seat properly.

Can't stress the importance of PROPER Break-In enough. Do it RIGHT, you get only ONE chance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    They want the engine run hard once every 10 minutes to make sure rings and other moving components seat properly.

Can't stress the importance of PROPER Break-In enough. Do it RIGHT, you get only ONE chance.
    Thanks, that’s why I wanted to clarify. I’m picking it up at 10 in the am and want to do things right. I am still supposed to use the cocktail with my fuel in the 4S right?
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 FS

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perfectly acceptable and definitely a good idea.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just a reminder- Per for the Forum Announcements, there should be only ONE (1) engine per thread. If you have questions about a different engine, your engine with a different serial number, etc- please open your own separate thread, and provide your engine's serial number.

This helps to avoid CONFUSION, and Thread Hi-Jacking.

Thanks for your cooperation!

12. Member
    What is the cocktail referenced above. Getting a new Pro Xs 4 cycle.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1oz Quickare + 1oz Quickleen (Per 5 gallons of fuel).