21PHX with 250 Pro XS V8 4 Stroke

I pulled the trigger on a new 21PHX with the new Merc 4 stroke. Can't wait to get it!

What prop are guys running with this rig? Dealer is leaning rowards a 24p 3 Blade fury. This boat will be spending most of it's time on big water (St Clair, Erie, Bays de Noc) so I'm looking more for hole shot and handling over top end speed.

Thanks
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

2. Member
    I would lean on the 4 blade fury perhaps. Same pitch. It will handle the load and rough water better in my experience.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    I would lean on the 4 blade fury perhaps. Same pitch. It will handle the load and rough water better in my experience.
    I think you will get more rpm with he 24. I am running a 25 pitch 3 blade fury. I am only seeing 5750-5800 RPMs. I am going to try a 24 if I can get my hands on one.

4. Member
    23 tempest has been great on my partners...running 72 currently...

5. Member
    I pick my boat up on Friday and it comes with a 24 fury. I called Jeff at Phoenix and that is what he recommended.

6. Member
    24 3 blade or 4 blade

7. Member
    This will ruffle feathers, but... believe it or not you won't give up much top end with a 23 Fury. Hole shot is amazing, and when loaded it gives up nothing.

8. Member
    my 2019 921 came with a 24 fury 3 blade. Fully loaded I don't get over 6000rpms running 72.5. I just picked up a 25 bravo 4 blade today to test out this weekend. I'll post numbers afterwards. This is also with the pros 4 stroke. (Just wait till you start that for the first time. It puts a smile on my face every time)

I would run a 4 blade for several reasons.

Guys who set up boats to run to max RPM are missing out on top end usually. I see that alot. Shooting for that 6300 or the 5950....or whatever it is on that particular motor.

You want to be in the range desired, but forget about the other qualities you want in the setup. Ive had big wheels give me great top end, decent hole shot, but but 150 Rs lower than "ideal" but well within range. On the other side I have a prop that runs great Rs, but is 3-4mph slower and isnt a huge difference in holeshot.

That RPM number can be misleading, especially in a 4stroke where it doesnt need the oil in combustion. Be in the range, but find your balance of the qualities you desire.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    I would run a 4 blade for several reasons.

Guys who set up boats to run to max RPM are missing out on top end usually. I see that alot. Shooting for that 6300 or the 5950....or whatever it is on that particular motor.

You want to be in the range desired, but forget about the other qualities you want in the setup. Ive had big wheels give me great top end, decent hole shot, but but 150 Rs lower than "ideal" but well within range. On the other side I have a prop that runs great Rs, but is 3-4mph slower and isnt a huge difference in holeshot.

That RPM number can be misleading, especially in a 4stroke where it doesnt need the oil in combustion. Be in the range, but find your balance of the qualities you desire.
    Really dependent on the motor. Sho's like to be right at 6k then get a 2nd wind around 6100 to the limiter at 6200. WOT range is listed at 5k-6k for them. Old pro xs was listed as 5500-6k but ran better around 5750-5800. I'm sure Vrod's have their own sweet spot in the rpm band and the new Pro Xs does as well. Just haven't seen anyone that's figured it out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Really dependent on the motor. Sho's like to be right at 6k then get a 2nd wind around 6100 to the limiter at 6200. WOT range is listed at 5k-6k for them. Old pro xs was listed as 5500-6k but ran better around 5750-5800. I'm sure Vrod's have their own sweet spot in the rpm band and the new Pro Xs does as well. Just haven't seen anyone that's figured it out yet.
    Yes. Every one is different.

I had an XS prior to the Verado. Of course everyone said I need to be at 5850/5900. I ran my best around 5700. That was speed and everything. Pushing it higher gave me more Rs, but nothing else.

Verado is the same way. I can run it in "best spot" but to do that I run slower. Period.

To me its just finding the combination within about 200 Rs of the prime spot. Typically a smaller prop will gain you Rs, but that doesnt translate into more speed. I just figure why run towards the limit just to say you run there. If there is no benefit.....why?

12. Member
    4 blade fury or bravo1
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Here is what I was informed of on the sho...SHO rev limiter begins at 6180 with 1 cyl cutting out, as rpms increase a 2nd cyl will cut out...etc, up to 6250 max rpms.
    When I hit 6180 rpm's, MY motor starts cutting out. When it does this, rpms drop and motor begins climbing again. When I asked someone about this, I was told the above.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong so I am more informed.
    Not trying to highjack, just looking for quick answer...Thx

I run similar water and run a Fury 4. Love the prop and would definitely recommend that or the Bravo 4 blade.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

15. BBC SPONSOR
    I run the same boat your getting, I've run the 24 fury 4 and the 24 fury 3, if you want to run the fury 4 go with a 23. I settled on the 24 fury 3, it seems to work better than the fury 4, great hole shot, top end with 2 guys tournament load and live wells full and full of gas 71 mph. Just myself and tournament load and around 15 gallons of gas 75 mph. Your going to love it, I fish the same water you do, actually my boats been on Lake Michigan, Lake Erie, Saint Clair and Lake Ontario, it's a fishing Machine, great dry ride, very stable and the best boat to get and stay organized I ever had.

My dealer ended up putting a 23 Tempest on my boat. I've only ran it once with this prop (temporarily had a 22 tempest while waiting for the 23). So far it performs good, great holeshot and lift, hit 72 before it started to walk a bit and I ran out of water and had it to 70 with full livewells. I think it has more in it with a little seat time.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke