Joe4d

garage door height

Geting back into game, boat ordered, I am getting a carport type garage built for storage... Dont have poles yet but may in future what kinda clearance do I need for 8, 10 power poles or say 12 ish talons ? They would be jack plate mounted on a Triton 18trx,

2. Banned
    I had to wait until my Bennington was on the trailer to manually measure height--with the bimini retracted. It was just over 8' meaning I am going.to get an expensive 9 x 12 foot door in my boat barn. Nothing like a good tape measure.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    standard answer as far as Power Poles goes is 9 foot door for 10 foot poles and 8 foot door for 8 foot, lt depends how your boat is slug on the trailer however ( I personal just clear a 7 foot door with 8 foot blades) Some boats are low slung others sit quite high .The heights mentioned are a good "general" rule of thumb if your not looking to lower before entering and exiting.

4. Member
    I just keep a remote in my truck and lower the poles 1 or 2 bumps to clear my 8ft poles.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

The new style 8 ft Talons sit lower than a 250 HP motor so if the motor clears then 8 ft Talons clear. The 10 should come through a 7 ft door but it will be close. I would want a measurement before I took that gamble. The 12 will more than likely require a 8ft door. As for Power Pole I know my neighbor has an 7ft tall door and a TR196 and there is no way an 8 ft PP would clear so the 8 and 10 PP need a 8ft door in my opinion. Now with PP you can semi deploy them and clear a door. You can also get tilt brackets for Talon or PP. They are expensive for no more than what they are. Plus there has been debates on if they void warranty...heard both ways multiple times but never a definitive answer from Talon or PP, only I heard so and so say or I read...

6. Member
    Eight feet garage clearance for overall clearance for the eight foot Blades. I currently have seven feet of garage door clearance and have to lower my eight foot blades by six inches to safely clear the top beam when going in & out of garage.

I suspect at least 10 feet of clearance for 10 foot Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Eight feet garage clearance for overall clearance for the eight foot Blades. I currently have seven feet of garage door clearance and have to lower my eight foot blades by six inches to safely clear the top beam when going in & out of garage.

I suspect at least 10 feet of clearance for 10 foot Blades
    I don't think 10 ft Power Poles stand 2 ft taller than 8 ft Power Poles. I would think a 10 ft pole is only 1 ft taller than a 8 ft pole. I think the one ft of height in the pole and arm will net two feet of depth when extended down. Maybe I am overthinking this but I just don't see a 10 ft pole standing 2 ft taller on the transom than a 8 ft pole. I think a 10 ft pole will go thru a 9 ft door.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I don't think 10 ft Power Poles stand 2 ft taller than 8 ft Power Poles. I would think a 10 ft pole is only 1 ft taller than a 8 ft pole. I think the one ft of height in the pole and arm will net two feet of depth when extended down. Maybe I am overthinking this but I just don't see a 10 ft pole standing 2 ft taller on the transom than a 8 ft pole. I think a 10 ft pole will go thru a 9 ft door.
    10 foot poles 9 foot door as I stated above, and depending how your boat sits on trailer an 8 foot can go through a 7 foot door mine does.. all depends how high or low slung your boat is on the trailer.

That's what I thought. I did not think a 10 ft door would be needed. I bet a 10's would go through a 8 ft door if you slightly lower the poles when going through.

10. Joe4d
    thanks, going with 8 foot of clearance

11. Member
    On my Legend the 10' power poles on level ground to the top measures 8'-9"

I have to lower my 8ft blades a little to get in the garage and I need to trim down...I put the poles back up once I clear the door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg PP.jpg (100.3 KB, 249 views)
    Last edited by lilbuddy; 09-04-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    Family is everything!!! Fishing is a close second
    2010 TR-18 Pro w/150 OptiMax & Dual 8' Blades

13. Joe4d
    thanks,,, I am getting a triton trx 18 good info,, am doing 8 foot clearance,,, on a 26X 18 building.. should be fine as long as I lower a bit

10ft door and be done with it.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Joe4d
    would add another $1000 to cost of building thats only about 3500. Inorder to have a 10 foot door would have to go wider and taller.
    Kinda leaning towards a 3 sided with no door and just do a vinyl curtain on end like I do for my horse stalls in winter.

16. Joe4d
    well ordered building today ended up with 9 foot sides, I finally got a dealer that wasnt an idiot and knew what they were talking about. 8 foot legs woulda only got me about 7-9 clearance. So went with 9 foot legs be 8-9.. Just gotta figure out gravel work in and around floods.

17. Member
    Did some measuring on mine over the weekend, on my falcon 205 with 10ft blades, I can get through an 8' for just dropping the poles a bump(they measure exactly 8' to the tips on flat ground). But a 9' door would clear the whole setup with no manipulation.
    '17 Falcon F205
    '17 Evinrude G2 250
    10' PP blades
    Garmin 7610XSV's