Skipping Jig Recommendations?

I am currently in the process of putting together a collection of Jigs. I am pretty comfortable with the Jigs I use for Flipping Rocks/Wood, Heavy Grass Jigs for Punching, Football Jigs and Swim Jigs. But what I would like to do is get some recommendations on good Jigs to use for Skipping.

I’ve typically always used the Arkie style heads (that I use for Flipping) for Skipping with moderate results. So I wondered if maybe I am missing the boat on using a more effective head style that is better for skipping. Any Suggestions?

The All Terrain Tackle swim jigs (not their skipping jig, but their actual swim jigs) are the best I've used in terms of head shape. The problem is they have banded skirts, so you need to be willing to wrap a few turns of wire, thread, or braid around the skirt right out of the package. I usually just stick them in my fly tying vise and put a dozen or so wraps of kevlar thread just above the band on the skirt. It doesn't come loose then.

Their skipping jig isn't bad, but the swim jig skips better I think. If you look at the shape of the head I think you'll see why.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    I like Arkie's myself. Maybe it's not the head but the trailer? I like a rage bug myself, something kind of flat but with some bulk. If you can can find a jig with a screw lock keeper that helps.

4. Member
    Wedge shaped heads work well also, as mentioned, its the trailer used that will slide across or grab the water.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    The All Terrain Tackle swim jigs (not their skipping jig, but their actual swim jigs) are the best I've used in terms of head shape. The problem is they have banded skirts, so you need to be willing to wrap a few turns of wire, thread, or braid around the skirt right out of the package. I usually just stick them in my fly tying vise and put a dozen or so wraps of kevlar thread just above the band on the skirt. It doesn't come loose then.

Their skipping jig isn't bad, but the swim jig skips better I think. If you look at the shape of the head I think you'll see why.
    I have no issues with this as I always trim and wrap the skits with all my jigs, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits anyways. Thanks I will have a look at the AT's Swim Jigs. I already use their Grassmaster and Rattling AT. Not sure why I never looked at their swim jigs too lol.

6. Member
    Outkast Juice jig is where it's at.

I do agree with the trailer being a big deal. My suggestion was a sort of "all else equal" type, but trailer definitely matters a TON. Something flat like a rage bug is great, as was mentioned. If you don't want to spring for them, simply using generic beaver-style baits works good too. The extra ribs on some of the not-as-generic baits of this style (think D Bomb or Z-Craw) tend to hurt when skipping it seems.

Along these lines, I also heard Andy Montgomery suggest trimming away the skirt on the back side, behind the trailer, where it will be sliding across the water in one of the many videos of his that I've watched. This definitely helps, I think because all those strands in the skirt tend to "grab" the water as the jig slides over it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

8. Member
    I've tried about every jig and trailer there is over the years and I settled on:

- Strike King Andy Montgomery Skipping Jigs....3/8 ounce with a Rage Bug trailer
    - Hack Attack Swim Jig...3/8 with a Rage Bug trailer
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

Braided line is N_G for skipping, so I'd suggest sticking with copolymer. Braid seems to grab the water and stop all progress.

10. Member
    Didn't think about braid (depending on brand I'm sure) catching on the water, versus mono, etc.. I've been moderately skipping for a year with mono and fluorocarbon with good success and just switched my main skipping rod/reel to braid but haven't been out much with it since. I'll have to test and consider the possible impact braid has. Ugh.

I actually have the best luck skipping with braid. I think that's a different strokes for different folks type thing...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

12. Member
    I use nothing but braid for skipping. My go to jig is a Strike King 1/2-oz Bitsy Flip & Rage Craw. I usually bite the Rage Craw back by two segments. Very small compact package and just the right weight, with a great hook.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Braided line is N_G for skipping, so I'd suggest sticking with copolymer. Braid seems to grab the water and stop all progress.
    I actually have the best luck skipping with braid. I think that's a different strokes for different folks type thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota97 View Post
    I use nothing but braid for skipping. My go to jig is a Strike King 1/2-oz Bitsy Flip & Rage Craw. I usually bite the Rage Craw back by two segments. Very small compact package and just the right weight, with a great hook.
    I only use braid skipping as well. My thoughts are Fluoro sinks and is heavier so it'd be more apt to catch water and slow my bait from reach it's target. Whereas braid is lighter and floats so it skims across the water better. So I would definitely use braid before Fluoro. However I've not tried it with Co-Poly. I normally reserve that for topwaters and burning lipless crankbaits.

14. Member
    Flouro is fine, even better than braid because the diameter is larger it provides more surface tension. Does the line really matter? Not much.

I use 15-20lb flouro or copolymer, and an arkie style homemade jig or a SK Andy Montgomery Skipping jig, 3/8 or 1/2oz. Trailer matters, but most craws work good enough. Chigger craw/paca chunk/rage craw all see regular usage. Beaver style baits usually work even better.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

ACT Lures arkie style 3/8 jig is my skipping jig

16. Member
    Katch-Her Lure are hands down the best jigs I've thrown. Check them out on Facebook or Carolina Fishing Tackle LLC...
    2017 Triton 19TRX
    200 Mercury Optimax ProXS

17. Member
    You hit the nail on the head Drew. My preference is braid with a fluoro leader. I feel like the the fluoro goes in cleaner than braid alone. Everyone will find the tool that feels the best to them.

I like GRT swim jigs. He's a local guy that does nice work. Check out his website. www.d2lures.com