Banned

Grease to oil hubs

Just throwing this out there , Is it possible to convert my Ranger trailer wheel bearing hubs from grease to oil bath ? It is a 1996 Cherokee trailer . Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Member
    You’re going the opposite direction most people want to go. I have owned every version of Ranger trailer axles and while I could see where the oil bath hubs could be a problem, I never had an issue with mine. If you lose a rear seal or there is a problem with the cap the potential exists for all the oil to drain out and your bearing lubrication is gone. In my opinion you have one of the best axle set ups on there now. If the bearings and seals are good just pump a tube of grease in the end of the axle every fall when you put it away and you should never have any issues with it.

Stay with the greased hubs...about as bulletproof as you can get. I had COOL Hubs that left me on the side of the road twice. No more oil hubs for me.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Banned
    Thanks for the info . Was just looking & checking before I do anything . Thanks again .����

5. Member
    I agree, I converted mine from oil to grease as buddy in club had his oil hubs leave him on side of road and a destroyed axle spindle.

Grease hubs will never give you an issue as long as you maintain them and use a wuality marine grease. I tear mine down clean and inspect everything and repack the bearings every 3 years. 10 year old trailer with lots of miles zero problems.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Banned
    I guess I will leave them alone, stick with the grease . Do not want to "be that guy " on side of the road.��