Apalachacola - Lake Wiminco

Could use some advise/help. We have been staying on SGI for the last 10 years or so , last week of Sept. or one of the first 2 in Oct.
    Mostly fishing with guide or from dock on bay & around state park from shore.

I sold my bass boat a couple of years ago when my daughter & SIL moved to Charleston on the water. Bought a 22 ' CC - Bay boat.

I have been taking it to Fl. on our trips. The last 2 years have been miserable in the App. Bay due to wind. Really beats you down after a bit
    and the wife ain't happy.

I wanted to explore the river & lake to escape the wind. Any simple tip's to put some fish in the boat ?

***Also , I usually stop @ Hartwell on the way back from Fl. or Murry if coming from Charleston and flush every thing out real good while the
    trailer , brakes etc. soak.

Noticed that there is a ramp on App. River , Abecrombie , i think , that a real old post said was fresh water . Now is that fresh or brackish ? Sure would save some
    time if I could rinse & soak there before we left.

Ok , thanks in advance for any help.

2. Member
    Does the boat have a trolling motor? If so there's some good fishing that time of year both in and around wimico. There should still be plenty of eel grass beds in wimico. Throw a frog or swim a wat/red speed worm thru it and you'll catch plenty of fish. The portion of river immediately east of wimico is called Jackson River. Lots of cypress trees lining the banks you can go at with anything you want, shallow cranks, spinnerbaits, anything. Plenty of bass to be caught around there.

Abercrombie is a decent launch that can be either brackish or fresh depending on the tide and how much rain we've gotten.
    Last edited by Poppin' Frog; 08-22-2018 at 06:54 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    Does the boat have a trolling motor? If so there's some good fishing that time of year both in and around wimico. There should still be plenty of eel grass beds in wimico. Throw a frog or swim a wat/red speed worm thru it and you'll catch plenty of fish. The portion of river immediately east of wimico is called Jackson River. Lots of cypress trees lining the banks you can go at with anything you want, shallow cranks, spinnerbaits, anything. Plenty of bass to be caught around there.

Abercrombie is a decent launch that can be either brackish or fresh depending on the tide and how much rain we've gotten.
    Yep , have a MK riptide ulterra . Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a speed worm is the go to bait. Have seen that in a lot of old post. I'll
    take a bag of my bass gear and throw it in the boat.

Thanks again !!

4. Member
    You can launch at White City under the bridge too. Tje intercoastal is good to fish. One of our guys caught a 29in red there earlier this year during a tournament. Speed worms are great. I personally use junebug.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciasurv View Post
    Yep , have a MK riptide ulterra . Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a speed worm is the go to bait. Have seen that in a lot of old post. I'll
    take a bag of my bass gear and throw it in the boat.

Thanks again !!
    Swimming a speed worm is always a safe bet on the delta because it's such a good imitation of a swimming shrimp that the bass just love to snack on down there. I went several days ago and absolutely slayed them. No giants but caught over 50, which is not that unusual when the shrimp are running. Had several spit up on my boat deck along with fiddler crabs just fyi

6. Member
    You guys are killin' me. I just ordered some speed worms to add
    to my tackle.

I'll have to try them up here on the spots & LM on a shakey head.. Just never used them.

Another question ; I always have my yearly non - resident salt water license because
    of SGI and we usually make one or two trips to Chokoloskee / Everglade City.

Since there are salt water species all the way up and through the lake , is that license
    ok or are they looking for fresh water license ?

Thanks again for all of the help...

7. Member
    Nope, got to have a fresh unfortunately if you're going to be in wimico or river. But if it's a short trip i would just buy the one day for the day you're going

8. Member
    You guy's are not recommending the most faithful bass catching lure of all time on Lake Wimico, the Snagless Sally.

9. Member
    Nope, got to have a fresh unfortunately if you're going to be in wimico or river. But if it's a short trip i would just buy the one day for the day you're going
    Ok , thanks !

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    You guy's are not recommending the most faithful bass catching lure of all time on Lake Wimico, the Snagless Sally.
    I didn't catch that all time favorite color ????

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciasurv View Post
    I didn't catch that all time favorite color ????
    When the fiddler crabs are spawning, bruiser (blue&purple) silver blade with white trailer. Any other time, white with gold blade

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    Can't you keep a secret..

13. Member
    When the fiddler crabs are spawning, bruiser (blue&purple) silver blade with white trailer. Any other time, white with gold blade
    Ok , got it. I had to google a Fiddler Crab to see when they mate. Quite interesting little creatures. They are a sex machine !!!

You eliminated a lot of colors for me. The only one I had right was the "white" which is hard to beat !!

Thanks again..