997 looking for someone with knowledge of an older unit

I recently acquired a 997. The person I got it from told me the GPS feature would not work. The price was great "free". On the box there is a sticker with a date and if my memory is correct it says the warranty expired 2008. I realize this unit is about 3 generations old because they change and update them every couple of years. The unit has a Navionics Platinum East card with 1 ft contours, a side image transducer that is about 1 year old and a brand new GPS antenna as well as the old GPS antenna.

I would like to get all of the features working but if I can't then so be it. I will just mount it for side imaging. I have about 1001 questions. I am old school and had rather talk to a real person. If someone is willing to PM me a phone number with a best to call time that is willing to let me talk their ear off I would gladly appreciate it. If not then I understand and I will just post my questions.

PM sent
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    PM sent
    I can not thank you enough for the help. You knew part numbers and technical data like you were the one who made the unit...very impressive.

...for those interested all I needed was a software update. I bought a SD card and done exactly as I was instructed. If for some reason I have to do it again it will take all of 5 minutes to download the info from Humminbird onto the SD card and transfer it to the unit. It was a lot more easy than I thought it was going to be. I have "bench tested" everything that has to do with GPS/mapping and it works. Sonar and side imagine I never hooked up but it was working when the unit was removed so the unit is ready to hit the water. I got my transducer mounted under the jack-plate and the wire run to the console. I stopped buy the auto parts store and bought a 3 amp inline fuse holder and disconnect switch. I need to order a RAM mount and then I will be ready to install the unit and antenna. Wayne gave me some pointers for the mounting placement of the transducer and antenna.

Over the years I have shared knowledge and gave advise to several people on other forums here at BBC. The wealth of knowledge on this site and the people who are willing to share it and help others is simply amazing.

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Awesome.
    It's great to hear from people that other's are helping each other...
    Wayne is a great guy and I hope he never tires of hearing or seeing it.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    Robert, I agree. the help Wayne provides is not only numerous but is accurate. And you are no slouch either. I appreciate both of you.
    Doctor Sonar®
    Go Fishing, the Clock is Ticking

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Thanks for the kind words Bruce - coming from you it's a most honorable comment to receive!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

I got my Ram mount in over the weekend and I was able to get everything installed. I had to buy a SD card (so I could update software), disconnect, inline fuse holder, 3 amp fuse, 18 AWG wire, stainless hardware and a Ram mount. I now have about $135 in the set-up. I plan on running full map on my Lowrance 520 when running around on the lake. When searching around for fish I will turn off the Lowrance 520 and use the Humminbird 997 for side imagine and or down imagine. Plus I will use the 997's map feature because the chip in it has 1 ft contours. I have a busy day Monday but I hope to try it out Tuesday.

8. Member
    Gene, thats cool

9. Member
    Nice set up

10. Member
    JR19-- I could be wrong as all get out. But if I remember correctly ( 71 yr old so keep that in mind ). The map card will work but the 997's processor might be a little on the slow side. Might have to be a little patient if you have a faster boat for info to update. Out of all my Humminbirds I have mounted on my Lund. The 997 had the longest residence time.

You will be able to identify if there is problem right away. If when you are moving your map will gray out in the direction you are heading. Hopefully my memory is wrong. If it does exist take heart as it is still a great fish finder.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

11. Member
    If that happens, try zooming out some. The more you’ve zoomed in, the slower the updates will be.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I have had this unit two months now and been on the water several times with it. As someone else mentioned it is very slow when loading a map when you first turn it on but its not slow enough that it bothers me. As I previously mentioned the main thing I wanted the unit for was side image. I will try zooming out and see if the map loads quicker.

Now there is one thing that kind of aggravates me but its not a huge deal (especially on a free unit) but the one and only issue I have experienced multiple times (at least 2-3 times a trip) is for some reason when you power up it will not connect to GPS. I go to the diagnostic page and it says unconnected. Typically a power cycle will get it to connect but I have had to cycle power 2-3 times to get it to connect. My antenna is on the back deck with a wide open view of the sky. Again no big deal on a free working unit but it is aggravating when you are in an area where a map comes in handy because your in an area where you must run a specific place. I still have my Lowrance 520 but I like to run just one unit at the bow.

I have watched several youtube videos and have learned a ton about DI and SI. I can honestly say there has been a few times where I idle and eliminated an area based on what I saw on SI. I have also idle a few areas and turned around and fish because of what I saw on SI and actually caught a few. Most of the time I fish like I never had it but I am learning slowly how to use it to my advantage.

13. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Are you running your new GPS puck and v6.300 software?

https://www.humminbird.com/support/s...-Combo-v-6-300

One thing you can do is wait on initial power up and leave it at the disclaimer screen for a bit before hitting exit.

Occasionally my 798 would do that on it's internal GPS (not an option for you I know) but for me I could put an AS GRP GPS on it as a work around.

My son still has it and has no issue doing the slow startup and pausing another 20-30 seconds to hit exit with good results on internal.

IIRC you can turn sonar off on the LMS 520, it's been close to 11 years since I've owned my LMS332c which was the earliest version of what eventually became your 520.
    You should be able to run it as just a plotter - I know it could run as a sonar only but don't recall trying the opposite way...

If you have more questions that Master Wayne hasn't answered, you can PM or email me also and I can also offer help via my cell phone too - though I doubt Wayne didn't cover most everything in depth for you.

If you have an option to adjust your contour lines to 3-5 contours, that can help with load times besides zooming out.
    Last edited by sfw1960; 11-02-2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: 2nd thoughts lol
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Yes running 6.3 version...I run full map on the 520 all the time now that I have the 997...I just leave the 520 off most of the time but if the 997 is being stubborn connecting to the maps I will run the 520.

15. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Next time out, try letting the unit just go to the disclaimer screen.
    Wait about 20 - 30 seconds and hit exit.

See if you get a lock 1st try...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    thanks for the tip....I will give it a try

17. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Let us know...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I only turned my 997 on 3 times today. 1st time I let it go to the disclaimer screen and sit for 30 seconds or so and it did not connect. I power cycle and it connected. 2nd try later in the day I waited 30 seconds and it connected right away. 3rd try was just like 1st try...it's really not a big deal it's just slightly aggravating. I can easily live it.

Try this. Export your waypoint library to a memory card and delete all the data in the unit's memory. Test how the unit performs like that.

Also remove any map card's you have inserted and see how it performs.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    sfw1960 and Wayne P. I humbly appreciate all the advice both have gave. The unit has around 2200 hours on it and all features do work its just slow to connect and load. I know this may sound odd but I really don't want to go messing around with anything unless it is a must. I highly respect your advice but I am just going to live with it...now if it gets to the point where I can't stand it, I know exactly where to look for advice ...