819 200hp SHO. Horrible holeshot and 5100 rpms max

Just bought the boat it’s a 2016 with 33 hours. Tried raising the jackplate to 3 inches it didn’t help. Has a 24p fury which a bunch of people run. Also water pressure doesn’t seem to high gauge shows 0 but thought a fuse may be out the more throttle the less water comes out.

2. Pat Goff
    Water pressure gauge is just a tube that goes from engine to gauge. Check for kinks.
    How did the boat run on your test ride?
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Small body of water holeshot was bad but I never got to run rpms up. Thought lifting the jack plate and smaller prop would change it. Jackplate and Phoenix people told me that a 24p is fine.
    from throttle till on plain it takes around 9-10 seconds

4. Member
    Water pressure can be adversely affected by engine height, but that goes without saying. If it reads some times and not others it ain't the gauge or tube.
    A poor hole shot accompanied with low top end RPM's are chronic too much prop symptoms.

5. Member
    I didn’t think a prop can change the rpms by 800-900 and when it has the recommended prop on the boat

6. Pat Goff
    It can and will change.
    If on the other hand, there are others with the same boat/same motor/same prop getting much different results, then the only answer is your motor needs attention. Get that checked before you waste time chasing your tail around.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    It can and will change.
    If on the other hand, there are others with the same boat/same motor/same prop getting much different results, then the only answer is your motor needs attention. Get that checked before you waste time chasing your tail around.
    Just talked to phoenix they said set the ptp to 3 1/4 and make sure the prop is completely plugged

8. Member
    With those kind of numbers,I would check to see if you are getting full throttle and all cylinders are firing. I had a new 2000 Johnson 225 HO with those symptoms, due to a bad stator,it ran on five cylinders out of the crate. It would still plane out and hit 51-5200. That new stator really woke it up.

9. Member
    Water pressure gauge is electric. None will stay work or stay accurate long. I installed a manual gauge on mine. If your's isn't working at all, the transducer has failed or the pressure tube from the engine to the transducer is off or kinked. 2.5 to 3.25" on the bird with a SHO. Bad hole shot and low WOT rpm's. Check the engine!!!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

10. Member
    I appreciate it I dropped it off to get looked at. I’ll have them check

Water pressure on a SHO motor will show 0-3 PSI at idle and 11-20 PSI at WOT.

12. Member
    My 819 takes about 2 secs on hole shot even with 3 people. The hole shot rpms are 3,200. I also run a 24 fury but on a pro xs. Ptp is 3".
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbob View Post
    My 819 takes about 2 secs on hole shot even with 3 people. The hole shot rpms are 3,200. I also run a 24 fury but on a pro xs. Ptp is 3".
    Had the ptp set to 3 1/4 going to down size to a pt 21 pitch prop and see if that helps

14. Member
    A 24 should roll . Either the motor is not getting full throttle (cable adjustment needed) . Or your not trimming it out to it fullest potential . Low rpms on top end are not always related to the prop. Motor could have an issue , running the motor like that with out getting it checked could cause you some real grief .

15. Member
    Had it checked out it was just over propped 21p pushes it just fine

16. Banned
    Something sounds off a 21p should give you way too many rpm's at WOT but, the holeshot should be amazing.

17. Member
    Yeah something else wrong, no way you need a 21 pitch on that rig!

18. Member
    21 is to small

19. Member
    As said, No way in hell a 21 is the right prop unless you're at 3000' elevation. Check your oil level, if its made oil and the level is high the sho will become a turd out of the hole. Next check to make sure you're getting to wot. There are diagrams on the Yamaha board that show how to set it up.
    Then find a 24 T-1/T-2 or a 25 Bravo, slap it on, and raise the p2p to 2.5". Take the 21 back and get rid of the fury. Sho's want to run high and need a prop that can run high and a fury ain't it.