Need Y'alls $.02

Alright guys trying to work a deal on this champion its a 97 196. Has new 52" ultrex 2 Helix 9 SI's brand new lower unit with 3 years of warranty left on it. boat is in good condition needs alittle cosmetic work such as some carpet maybe a wet sand job. Also, will do some work to the trailer. Gel-coat is in good shape has one small spot on keel that you can barely see and will be covered with a keel guard. (P.S. first time to post pics)

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    Depending on price, engine evaluation and transom check... It looks like a solid boat... The Ultrex is a major plus... Depth finders are decent not exceptional... Carpet can be a bear, but doable... If it all checks out, it's in your price range you can't go wrong... Dan

3. Banned
    Thats not a 196

4. Member
    More likely a 191. It's a good ride. Concur with the comments above.

5. Member
    Motor has clean bill of health when the lower unit was put on at the beginning of summer. Transom is good has one small stress crack next to a tie down on the outer glass but was verified to not be structural. I'm actually working a trade deal on this boat.

I was not specified the model. I just know it measures 19'6". Would this not be a 196?

It falls perfectly into my price range and I am looking at it as a starter boat.

Thanks for the replies guys.

6. Member
    No its a 191, didnt make a 196 til 2001.

7. Member
    That’s a rare single console which is nice!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonM View Post
    Motor has clean bill of health when the lower unit was put on at the beginning of summer. Transom is good has one small stress crack next to a tie down on the outer glass but was verified to not be structural. I'm actually working a trade deal on this boat.

I was not specified the model. I just know it measures 19'6". Would this not be a 196?

It falls perfectly into my price range and I am looking at it as a starter boat.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I would quadruple check for moisture in transom if it has a stress crack near a tie down. Thought the same thing on a older Ranger "it's only a small gelcoat stress crack" and 2 years later another popped up and next thing I learned was transom was junk.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezy1 View Post
    I would quadruple check for moisture in transom if it has a stress crack near a tie down. Thought the same thing on a older Ranger "it's only a small gelcoat stress crack" and 2 years later another popped up and next thing I learned was transom was junk.

I will definitely do that. Trying to setup a time to go see it, drive it, and fish it alittle bit to see how it feels before making the plunge. Are the transoms a wood / glass mix?

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Not sure how Champion measured, but the 196 is the only model which is listed at 19'6". And, as said above, the 196 was not built until the 2001 model year. In many cases, I have seen where folks measured their Champs differently, usually longer, than brochures show. In all but the later Genmar (Murfreesboro factory) models, the length, as measured by Champion, was the same as the model number.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    Not sure how Champion measured, but the 196 is the only model which is listed at 19'6". And, as said above, the 196 was not built until the 2001 model year. In many cases, I have seen where folks measured their Champs differently, usually longer, than brochures show. In all but the later Genmar (Murfreesboro factory) models, the length, as measured by Champion, was the same as the model number.
    Funny because in my 2004 catalog they state a 206 is 20ft 8"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezy1 View Post
    That year would be wood. I personally would be very cautious because of the stress crack on transom.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

13. Member
    Where do you get a 3 year warranty on a lower unit replacement ?
    GETFISHED !!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Where do you get a 3 year warranty on a lower unit replacement ?
    SEI ?

15. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    Funny because in my 2004 catalog they state a 206 is 20ft 8"
    And in other brochures it shows correctly as 20'6". Unfortunately, there were errors in several brochures. One even show specs as "front deck" and "front deck" instead of front and rear. At one point, they sent me drafts of brochures, so I could make corrections. One even showed a spare on trailer with an entirely different rim than those on the other four wheels. For the most part, the model number is the length....tho I have no idea how they measured.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n_gong View Post
    SEI ?
    Might want to check and see if that is an SEI brand lower unit or some other brand other than Mercury. I don;t have experience with lower units by SEI but I have heard some negative things about them. Might be good to know beforehand.
    GETFISHED !!!