Rod Repair Help?

I have an older Falcon Lowrider rod that I am quite fond of but the ring that screws the reel seat tight is cracked and won't hold the reel snug. I kinda have it redneck engineered right now to hold it in place but I'd like to fix it permanently. So, is there a way to get the entire grip section removed in order to get a new one glued on without destroying the rod? I thought about taking a cut off wheel in a dremel and slowing working lengthwise down the whole grip section and trying to pry it off but I don't want to completely destroy it either. Anyone on here ever do anything like that? I know there's some guys here that build rods. What thoughts do you guys have?
    Last edited by Bass Junkie; 08-20-2018 at 01:52 PM.

2. Member
    Call Ark-rod in Harrison, from my understanding they have been making the Falcons and I'm sure they did the old Lowriders. They've fixed guides for me before. Its worth a shot to call and see if they can fix it. FYI they won't admit that they make Falcon's but they won't deny it, they also make Hammer.

870-741-3908 is the factory

870-741-7375 is the tackle store next door.

3. Member
    Is the nut that holds the reel on loose or the reel seat itself cracked (the part that is epoxied on the blank)?
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

4. Member
    It's the round knurled nut that is cracked.

5. Member
    What model Lowrider?

6. Member
    If I REALLY liked a rod with a broken real seat nut, I would remove what guides I needed to and replace the nut, retie the guides. The real seat can be removed after removing the handle and installing a new one from the rear, but it's more complicated.

7. Member
    Try tapping it on.....E

8. Member
    Sorry. Try to tape the reel on rod......E

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elw361V View Post
    Sorry. Try to tape the reel on rod......E
    I have it served on there now like you would serve something onto a bow string. I was thinking about cutting the nut off and putting the reel on with a piece of 1" diameter heat shrink tubing. I believe I could get it to pass over all the eyes and the front part of the grip. I think that my be the best bet without standing a chance of damaging anything or having to disassemble the entire rod but I'm up for any other good ideas someone else my suggest.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    If I REALLY liked a rod with a broken real seat nut, I would remove what guides I needed to and replace the nut, retie the guides. The real seat can be removed after removing the handle and installing a new one from the rear, but it's more complicated.
    Even If I did remove all the eyes the nut is still not going to come off. There is a small section of cork in front of the reel seat.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Even If I did remove all the eyes the nut is still not going to come off. There is a small section of cork in front of the reel seat.
    Remove and do not replace that cork. The new Falcon Lowriders do not have that cork piece, nor do most casting rods today. I'll bet only the three largest guides will have to be removed for the nut to clear (rod tapers and guides get smaller).

12. Member
    Again what model? I might can hook you up.

13. Member
    It's a Lowrider XG LFC-5-166

14. Member
    Well dang, off all my Caras I have 2 old Lowriders. One my wife uses often a LFC-5-167 but we have a LFC-5-1610 (Eakins Jig Special) that we dont use as often because we have a few 6'10" Caras. If it were the 5-1610 I would have definitely hooked you up big time due to your issue. We've got a 5-166 Cara but my wife's mom bought it for her as a gift and she has passed so it'll always be in our collection.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 08-20-2018 at 05:20 PM.

15. Member
    Is Ron Schneider (Schneider's Rod Shop) still open in Mountain Home, I do know he moved about a year ago?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Remove and do not replace that cork. The new Falcon Lowriders do not have that cork piece, nor do most casting rods today. I'll bet only the three largest guides will have to be removed for the nut to clear (rod tapers and guides get smaller).
    This
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

17. Member
    Seriously give Ark-rod a call if anything, I just about guarantee they built that rod.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Well dang, off all my Caras I have 2 old Lowriders. One my wife uses often a LFC-5-167 but we have a LFC-5-1610 (Eakins Jig Special) that we dont use as often because we have a few 6'10" Caras. If it were the 5-1610 I would have definitely hooked you up big time due to your issue. We've got a 5-166 Cara but my wife's mom bought it for her as a gift and she has passed so it'll always be in our collection.
    Well, thank you for the thought. I think I'm going to try the heat shrink tubing idea to hold the reel in place. If it doesn't work well I'm not really any worse off than I am now and I might considering removing and eye or two and doing what RFSims suggested.

19. Member
    Does Ark-rod sell rod building supplies?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffie View Post
    Does Ark-rod sell rod building supplies?
    Not that I'm aware of, as far as I know they are just a manufacturer but you could always call and ask. They have a nice bait store on the property (Rock Springs Tackle) that has guides and such. I know I snapped a guide off of one of my Cara's and dropped it off at the bait shop, two days later they called said it was ready and I cant tell anything was ever touched. You deal with the bait shop and the rod company handles the work then you pick up you're rod and pay at the bait shop. They've also replaced a few end guides that the inserts popped out of. They make their own rods which dont really have a brand name and they're identical to Falcon products. Talked to a guy at a gas station in town here once from Florida who has an offshore rod company apparently they build his rods because about an hour later his wrapped truck was at the factory and was there for a few days later. The guy that owns Hammer has said here before that his rods are built there.

Post #20

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....11#post7324611
    Last edited by Cestratton; 08-20-2018 at 06:33 PM.