Angry My thoughts on Hummingbird changes

Any time a company lowers their warranty program it sends up a red flag up to me. I am a hummingbird user I have a Helix 12 on the bow with 360 networked and Helix 9 si at the console. The bow unit is 26 months old and has been replaced 3 times and still not wright it does not hold bottom depth. I get my depth most of the time from looking at the 360 screen. My 360 went for repair in April. I believe it had been frozen when it came back it would not stay locked to the same position. I figured they forgot to secure something. I sent it back in and was told it was operator error i was suppose to turn it off every time i pulled it out of the water. I had used it for 18 months with out doing this. I put it back on the boat and continued to use it the same way i always had and it works fine. That tells me they did something wrong but did not want to admit it. I was thinking about adding a 3rd unit about that time. Between shipping and repair cost the 3rd unit did not happen. Currently looking for a project boat so i start researching graphs. All the other companies are offering 2 or 3 year warranty. So most likely no more birds for me currently thinking Garmin. I love my lake master map and the 360. So i may try to find a used 360 and 10 or 12 graph for a second bow unit. Garmin's bow and console linked. I am not planning on supporting a company that does not believe in their own products or customers. Arthur

2. Member
    People need to bring this up to Johnson outdoors and Humminbird. When or if you get a survey tell them what you think. I bought a new 360 and it was broke when I bought and had to send it in for repair. It should have been replaced with a new unit in my opinion. I've recently sent him my Helix 12 for the second time. I believe they are coming out with new things so fast they can't keep up with supporting them. Trying to cut costs as well. When my units work they are great but it's frustrating to have so many issues.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

3. Member
    Everything that you have posted also concerns me greatly. In addition the length of time between updates. Seems to me getting longer and longer. Johnson's Outdoors should be listening to its customers. Not the " latest greatest business " cheerleader with radical ideas for making their company even better.

Customers who have invested their own money in the company's products. If any company keeps their customer base satisfied. The chances that company will be successful are greatly increased. Stray from that basic principle and the slickest ads by Madison Avenues best ad men. Will fail to rescue the downward spiral of that company.

All one has to do is study the history of Winchester Arms . There are thousands of other choices. This example just happens to be the one I am most familiar with. The first time Humminbird lost me as a customer. It took over 15 years to get me to try them again. Johnson Outdoors had purchased Humminbird and the making of the 987C lured me back. Only after reading hundreds of glowing reports on their CS and their units performance posted on web sites.

Only time will tell what is going to be the final outcome. Just can not understand businesses and people in general. That can not learn the value of history.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

4. Member
    I cant get them to do shit with 3 new solix units that want read depth consistently either................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix#1 View Post
    I cant get them to do shit with 3 new solix units that want read depth consistently either................
    Belive me we know. Get rid of them and move on, life's too short.

6. Banned
    Humminbird = bird poop

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    Humminbird = bird poop
    Thought a new battery solved all your problems

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Belive me we know. Get rid of them and move on, life's too short.
    I battled with Onix since they came out. Multiple calls to CS, returned units at least 2x. Played the poor power game. Fixed the problems by replacing it with all Garmin. Wow, fishing is fun again. Royt is right.
    Garmin 7612, 7610, Echo Map 93sv Plus
    2015 Ranger 621VS
    Mercury 300 Verado
    Terrova