Thread: 200 pro xs

200 pro xs

really close to pulling the trigger on a 200 pro xs. curious as to what I should expect vs my 2000yr 225 opti . I hoping same top end . fuel burn be less? ? cant find any performance figures.

I can burn 23 gph wot and peak mpg is 4.6 at 35mph. I spin a 24 trophy to 5600 67mph alone 63-65 full.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

2. Member
    Never downsize to a smaller motor either keep the same or go up in horse power if you’re boat I rated for it.

You probably wont find any performance number for an older boat. IIRC, your boat is rated for 225HP and that is what I would put on it. You do not want an under powered F/S.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    a regular 225 vs 200 proxs is how much hp?? proxs runs over rated ? plus I'm going from 3.0 lower unit to TM .??

for 3000$ cdn$ more I get a 225v8 .
    225 v6 is even 2 grand more. 200 pro xs is a deal imho... real world what do lose for the 3000$.

my opti needs plugs and 6-8 gallons of oil a year and usually a coil or injector. this year trim went and shift cables. and quickleen every tank.. its costly to run. . not to mention I'm nearing 6-700 hours pretty soon its worthless.
    Last edited by 12many; 08-20-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

5. Member
    You ask for opinions and then argue against them so you made up your mind already so get that 200.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookedup2 View Post
    You ask for opinions and then argue against them so you made up your mind already so get that 200.
    didn't ask for opinions on what to get. already stated I want the 200. that what's I can justify spending..with a lead times I'm looking at a late fall delivery.. lakes be iced up by then..so won t even see water till may

I'm just listing all the variables..my 225 opti weighs more and has diff lower unit. curious if anyone has real world numbers or Insight on the new 4 strokes. I am hoping for the same performance. but the consensus currently is that I will be below that. but like how much.

horsepower isn't just horsepower.. i was informed the 3.4 l 225 4stroke wont outrun the 200 proxs v8.
    thanks
    Last edited by 12many; 08-20-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

7. Member
    My apologies, I misunderstood your original post.

8. Member
    no worries..
    the new lineup is huge!! 4 diff models avaiable sea pro vrod proxs and 4stroke. and next to nothing out there for real world data. best I've found shows the 3.4 runs slower that the previous 2stroke.(nitro thread regarding 175 proxs on a z8) and the v8s same or better.
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

I have a 200 V8 and I can tell you from real-world experience using the same boat that I have and repowering with the new V8 that I'm 5 miles an hour faster with the same size motor that I once had before I repowered. Every boat different but on my Nitro 898 that's what I'm seeing. Fuel consumption is about the same but no oil so in the end it's a win$ .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    I have a 200 V8 and I can tell you from real-world experience using the same boat that I have and repowering with the new V8 that I'm 5 miles an hour faster with the same size motor that I once had before I repowered. Every boat different but on my Nitro 898 that's what I'm seeing. Fuel consumption is about the same but no oil so in the end it's a win$ .
    thanks
    just curious you repowered from a 200 pro xs or reg opti? or a 2.5 efi? and what rpms u running now on v8?
    i saw you post mentioning 200 repower on another thread, how did propping go and break in?
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

11. Banned
    I'm not sure if that older 225 is pushing the 10% envelope, but I can guarantee the new 200hp Pro XS so they may run similarly. I agree about running a 200hp 4.6L V8 vs 225hp 3.4L V6 as the latter may not be pushing the 10% envelope either making top speed closer and holeshot acceleration will definitely be worse with ~25% less torque from the 1.2L less displacement. The numbers on the cowling don't tell the whole story, hats off to you for not jumping on the bandwagon and actually doing your homework. Nitro only offers the V8 Pro XS 200/225 on a new Z19/20, so that should keep someone from trying to sell you the shorter V6.
    Last edited by Wheelman; 08-21-2018 at 07:11 AM.

12. Member
    Fuel cocktail still applies (see FAQ at top of forum), don't know recommended spark plug, oil change, or water pump intervals, suspect they will still be annual but with all the different models it might be a while before Don updates the FAQ.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    thanks
    just curious you repowered from a 200 pro xs or reg opti? or a 2.5 efi? and what rpms u running now on v8?
    i saw you post mentioning 200 repower on another thread, how did propping go and break in?
    Regular Opti and break in was easy . The prop I'm running is a 24 Fury 3 blade , I'm not at my limit on rpms it's only running 5800-5900 RPMs which I'm fine with the red line like 61-6200

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    no worries..
    the new lineup is huge!! 4 diff models avaiable sea pro vrod proxs and 4stroke. and next to nothing out there for real world data. best I've found shows the 3.4 runs slower that the previous 2stroke.(nitro thread regarding 175 proxs on a z8) and the v8s same or better.
    That's actually 4 different LINES, with many hundreds of different model choices.

I agree that going with a ProXS V-8 model choice is certainly what you will want to do for a fishing application.

In regards to your question of what you would "lose" by going from a 225 to a 200, that's simple math (respectfully). Don't overthink it... it's 25hp for all practical purposes.

If you can swing the 225 ProXS, NOW would be the time to consider it. That 25hp "itch" is a lot less expensive to scratch when you are BUYING an engine, as compared to a year or two down the road.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    I know this is an old post but I'm looking at repowering my 98 zx202c with a new Merc. 200 4 stroke. Do you think I would see much difference in speed or holeshot vs my 2.6L carbed vmax ?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would definitely notice a considerable difference in torque... probably speed also. A lot depends on the setup.

That being said- it's best to open a separate thread for a different engine/repower, so as to avoid any confusion in the original poster's question (or thread hi-jacking). See the Forum Announcements for more information.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    FWIW.. going from a 2000 optimax 225 I didn't lose speed.
    200 pro xs v8 better holseshot . better cruise fuel burn. and the new gearcase can run much higher prop to pad.

90 hours first summer I love it.
    Garmin marine
    prostaff