WADER Recommendations

Well my 1600 gram Cabelas waders (6 years old) finally sprung a leak and its time for a new pair.

These were great waders and EXTREMELY warm (the "Stout" sizing was a plus as well). One issue I had was they were so thick and heavy I often overheated in them as I do a lot of walking when duck hunting.

Does anyone have recommendations on a wader designed for more movement also something not quit as warm (I am fine layering in November when it starts getting really cold).

Looking to own one pair of waders for Sept-December Wisconsin waterfowl hunting.

Thanks,
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Member
    Check out Roger Sporting Goods brand of Toughman waders

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...rs-waders.html

3. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    Check out Roger Sporting Goods brand of Toughman waders

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...rs-waders.html
    Growing in popularity for sure. And I've had no problems dealing with Roger's on anything so far.

I think I want a 3.5MM but it doesn't look like Rodgers offers this in a "stout" size....at 5'10" 230 lbs (size 10 boots) I think I may need a "stout" fit.

I am also looking at insulated breathables.....anyone try these?

5. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    I think I want a 3.5MM but it doesn't look like Rodgers offers this in a "stout" size....at 5'10" 230 lbs (size 10 boots) I think I may need a "stout" fit.

I am also looking at insulated breathables.....anyone try these?
    I have a pair of Cabelas instinct hip waders that are breathable and were great at first but now have a tear in the fabric after 2 seasons

6. Member
    I have been wearing the Rogers breathable with 1200 gram boots for the last couple of years. They have been great. Did have a leak in one pair, but sent them back and Rogers sent me a new pair. Great customer service as always.

So, this is not what I got but it looks just like them and was the Bass Pro brand. They are the most comfortable waders I have ever had and slip off and on like a pair of boots. I did walk in a few times with them on and they might be a big too much for a lot of walking. I had the 1600 gram Cabelas once and I don’t think they were as warm as those.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabe...waders-for-men
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    I think im going to do the banded breathables this year. Ive been a fan of them for a while. You wouldnt believe how much colder that sweat makes you.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

Sitka just came out with some waders, they'll only set you back $900+

10. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    I can't convince myself to spend that much on a Trolling Motor, graph, shallow water anchor, etc let alone waders!

I am sure they are nice for those who can afford them! I am going to order the Rodgers "2 in 1" Insulated (removable) breathable waders......this should allow me to trout fish with them in summer and duck hunt with them all fall!

Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    I can't convince myself to spend that much on a Trolling Motor, graph, shallow water anchor, etc let alone waders!

I am sure they are nice for those who can afford them! I am going to order the Rodgers "2 in 1" Insulated (removable) breathable waders......this should allow me to trout fish with them in summer and duck hunt with them all fall!
    I'm the same way, I like quality stuff, but I can't see spending that kind of money on waders. I have a pair of Cabelas waders that I like.

13. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I've got the Cabelas 1600 supermag waders in stout. I about melted last year. I hunt on a farm with multiple fields and we walk and walk and walk and slog through ankle deep to thigh deep water and work. My wader liner pants were always soaked from sweat and I almost overheated a few times. I'm considering breathable insulated in stout but they are hard to find right now (two months before season).

I've seen the Banded Redzone waders but the ones I've seen folks wear, they have ripped the material that covers the ankle because its too long in the back and drags the ground. Also, there are complaints about the boot. I'm thinking of the Black Label Banded waders as it looks like they have addressed some of the concerns.

The Drake breathables are too long from armpit to floor for this short dude.

If someone has experience they can share on a stout breathable, please post.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

I ended up going with the Rodgers "2 in 1" Breathable Waders in the Stout size...these are the same as the Frogg Togg Refuge 2.0 waders.....they are breathable and insulated but the insulation is removable (perfect for me as I like to trout fish in the summer).

I have tried them on and they seem awesome but will be testing them out Monday when I go trout fishing and report back to everyone on what my initial thoughts are.

They are fairly affordable at $250.00 as well

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...out-sizes.html

15. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Please keep us posted. I spoke to Rogers today about their 3-in-1 Insulated Breathable in stout and they said they (Frogg Togg) doesn't make them in stout. Say what???

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

I used them this weekend trout fishing...zipped the liner out as it was 80 degrees outside (it also zips back in very easily)....the breathable waders are awesome for walking...didn't even know they were there. The stout size fit me perfectly....with the breathable waders you want them a bit looser as they do not stretch like neoprene. SO far I am really liking them...just wondering how warm I will stay come fall with the provided insulation and how long they hold up.

Initial thoughts is I am very pleased I bought them.

17. Member
    Bought Banded last year after years of cabela’s and loved them both. Definitely warm and comfortable and rugged.