Prop Help on Basscat Lynx

I was hoping to get some of you with more prop experience than me to guide me in the selection of props for my Basscat Lynx with a 250 Verado. This is what I have tested so far. Fury 4 26p- Holeshot is good until heavily loaded with fuel and 2 people and then it struggles on holeshot. Bow lift is not good in my opinion until running up on the pad. Speed is 75.1 gps with the jackplate on 2(2-3/4") @ 6270 rpm. The next prop I have tried is a Fury 3 24p-Hole shot is pretty good loaded, bow lift is better but not great in my opinion. Top speed is 76.4 gps with jackplate on 2. Rpms is 6400 and climbing when I lifted. Should I try a Fury 3 25p or another 4 blade? Is there a prop with better lift?
    - -

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brinson View Post
    I was hoping to get some of you with more prop experience than me to guide me in the selection of props for my Basscat Lynx with a 250 Verado. This is what I have tested so far. Fury 4 26p- Holeshot is good until heavily loaded with fuel and 2 people and then it struggles on holeshot. Bow lift is not good in my opinion until running up on the pad. Speed is 75.1 gps with the jackplate on 2(2-3/4") @ 6270 rpm. The next prop I have tried is a Fury 3 24p-Hole shot is pretty good loaded, bow lift is better but not great in my opinion. Top speed is 76.4 gps with jackplate on 2. Rpms is 6400 and climbing when I lifted. Should I try a Fury 3 25p or another 4 blade? Is there a prop with better lift?
    - -

If you need lift switch to a Tempest plus. We tried a 4 blade on a puma I helped my buddy set up and it lost too much top end. I have found that a Tempest will lift more load then a fury and not loose as much top end as 4 blade.

3. Member
    With your lynx being a newer hull design and the unique combination of the Verado I would go to the Basscat Owners board and seek some advice from Basscat themselves.. I'm sure they've most likely already tested that combination and should be able to give the best recommendation.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorM. View Post
    With your lynx being a newer hull design and the unique combination of the Verado I would go to the Basscat Owners board and seek some advice from Basscat themselves.. I'm sure they've most likely already tested that combination and should be able to give the best recommendation.
    Actually I have, although I have done more testing recently. Even within the Basscat forum, there is limited knowledge of the Lynx/Verado combination. I too have read where the Tempest Plus has more lift. Would a 25 Tempest be as stiff as a 25 Fury 3?

5. Member
    I would run a 26 Tempest and get accurate numbers then send it out for a B&B.

6. Member
    Appreciate the help guys.

7. Member
    A tempest more than likely won't out lift a fury 4 without a ton of work. It out lifted a tempest on my Ranger and lifts my Phoenix too much.
    Most people running a verado on any hull are either running a fury 4 or a bravo because the vrod likes 4 blades.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    A tempest more than likely won't out lift a fury 4 without a ton of work. It out lifted a tempest on my Ranger and lifts my Phoenix too much.
    Most people running a verado on any hull are either running a fury 4 or a bravo because the vrod likes 4 blades.
    This is true a Fury 4 will lift the best, but I never ran a cat that needed the lift of a 4 blade. I have found heavy poor lifting hulls like Ranger and Legend do best with 4 blades, but cat's and birds lift easy. The Tempest I have found will lift the tournament added weight, but not at the cost of the top speed that any 4blade would have.

9. Member
    As far as lift, I may be looking for something that may not happen. The Fury 3 seems to lift the boat slightly better than the Fury 4 . Neither is all that great. Of course this just my seat of the pants feel. The 4 blade seems to run very flat. I think a lot of what I'm feeling is the difference between the Puma I had and the Lynx which is a much larger boat up front. I was just wanting to draw on some you guys experience with different props. I don't mind buy more props just trying to buy the right one. The boat is fast for such a big boat now. To get the bow up right now I need to cruise at over 50 mph to even begin to lift the bow. Now the boat is loaded with all my stuff and I usually leave everything in my boats. With the 24 Fury 3 it runs very well but will get on the limiter if I let it. I'm thinking a 25p prop of some kind should put me closer.

You might consider a Bravo 1 XS. They recommend that if you are running a Fury 3 at a satisfactory RPM, go up 2" in pitch with the Bravo 1 XS, so that will put you at 26". You can also run the Bravo .5 to .75 inches higher. It will lift the boat and hole shot will be better. It has a short, minimally flared barrel, so less drag. You may only lose 1 mph, and might actually gain mph. I was running a 24" SHO on a 175 SHO. Went to a 25" Bravo 1 FS and gained rpm and speed was the same or better, with plenty of lift. Hole shot with a load also improved greatly.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    You might consider a Bravo 1 XS. They recommend that if you are running a Fury 3 at a satisfactory RPM, go up 2" in pitch with the Bravo 1 XS, so that will put you at 26". You can also run the Bravo .5 to .75 inches higher. It will lift the boat and hole shot will be better. It has a short, minimally flared barrel, so less drag. You may only lose 1 mph, and might actually gain mph. I was running a 24" SHO on a 175 SHO. Went to a 25" Bravo 1 FS and gained rpm and speed was the same or better, with plenty of lift. Hole shot with a load also improved greatly.
    Thanks, Midnight Rider. I would like to try a Bravo 1 but shouldn't I be using the Bravo 1 FS? I think it was designed for four strokes? Also I have a Fury 4 26p and it runs well but holeshot suffers when full of fuel and 2 riders. Fred Foster was kind enough to let me try a Tempest Plus 26p and it did not like it at all. The prop slipped or vented even with the jackplate all the way down and the motor tucked. I assume its due to the larger gearcase on the Verado? The prop felt as if it never fully grabbed at speed and rpms were out of sight.

Yes, if you run a 4 stroke, you CAN use the FS version, which comes stock with 4 solid plugged holes. I do not have to have any open holes on mine and I have the FS version. The XS is the same prop with 4 additional holes. Most 2 strokes need open holes. With most companies going with 4 strokes now, you should not have trouble selling the prop as an FS if you ever decide to. Rothwell seems to have about the best price you can get, and they will work with you on getting the right pitch.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

13. Member
    Current "XS" props have EIGHT PVS holes.

Brinson, I'm going to run a 25 Fury 4, worked by Ronnie Gilbert next week on my Lynx. I have a 25 T2 on a 250SHO. I'm at 2400 feet altitude and need to drop a pitch, but I'm going to see what the Fury 4 I have does first. I ran a Bravo XS on my last Puma, it was a great prop, but you lose a few mph with it. I won't be able to report back until probably 11 Sep, but if I can get on the internet earlier, I'll let you know how it does compared to the 3 blade.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    Brinson, I'm going to run a 25 Fury 4, worked by Ronnie Gilbert next week on my Lynx. I have a 25 T2 on a 250SHO. I'm at 2400 feet altitude and need to drop a pitch, but I'm going to see what the Fury 4 I have does first. I ran a Bravo XS on my last Puma, it was a great prop, but you lose a few mph with it. I won't be able to report back until probably 11 Sep, but if I can get on the internet earlier, I'll let you know how it does compared to the 3 blade.
    Thanks, Mike

Ran the Fury 4 25 P, it seems to run about the same as the Yamaha T2, a little better hole shot, but still flat till you get near 50. I talked to a few others with Lynx experience and they said that's the way the hull runs due to the long bow.

For any current Bass Cat, you need to call BCB and visit with Ivan. He's the setup master for Bass Cat. He runs and optimizes every model with any motor they hang on the back with virtually any prop that makes sense to bolt on at the time. His notebook of setups goes back forever and is as near as you can get to the BCB bible.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    Ran the Fury 4 25 P, it seems to run about the same as the Yamaha T2, a little better hole shot, but still flat till you get near 50. I talked to a few others with Lynx experience and they said that's the way the hull runs due to the long bow.
    This seems to be true in while I'm not running a Verado, I don't see a lot of lift until then as well. Truthfully I'm ok with that as the hull stays planted and rides nice and dry at lower speeds. If you want to scoot down the lake, add some throttle and a bit more trim and it gets light and fast in a hurry!

I'm running a 26 Raker HO prop on my 300.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma