Echomap CHIRP 53CV

I don't really get out much and this weekend used my unit for first time this season. Anyway, when I was watching my unit I noticed it appears almost as if it was restarting the scan about every 2 inches on my 5 inch screen. (See the photo below.) You'll note that just to the right of the depth readout there is a distortion at the surface and at the bottom and solid line (very thin) from top to bottom. Again to the right of that (about 2" on the screen) it happens again. This happens all the time when in operation. Any thoughts about what this is? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    While playing with some echomaps yesterday at my local store I saw the same thing in the simulation mode. I am not a Garmin user but a potential Garmin purchaser and I thought it was odd.

3. Member
    Can anyone help with this? I'm really at a loss as to where to start. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by port1042 View Post
    I don't really get out much and this weekend used my unit for first time this season. Anyway, when I was watching my unit I noticed it appears almost as if it was restarting the scan about every 2 inches on my 5 inch screen. (See the photo below.) You'll note that just to the right of the depth readout there is a distortion at the surface and at the bottom and solid line (very thin) from top to bottom. Again to the right of that (about 2" on the screen) it happens again. This happens all the time when in operation. Any thoughts about what this is? Thanks!
    When you say this happens all the time, what frequency? Does it always do it every 2 inches like your picture, a few times every 5 minutes, etc.?
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    It does it continually and always with same spacing (about 2" on the screen) across the screen. The area I'm talking about moves right along with screen so it's not a problem with the screen itself. Frankly I don't recall what settings I was using, probably 200. Next time out I'll play with the settings and see if it helps. Several shutdown/restart attempts did not help. The unit was running properly with regard to depth and depth changes. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by port1042 View Post
    It does it continually and always with same spacing (about 2" on the screen) across the screen. The area I'm talking about moves right along with screen so it's not a problem with the screen itself. Frankly I don't recall what settings I was using, probably 200. Next time out I'll play with the settings and see if it helps. Several shutdown/restart attempts did not help. The unit was running properly with regard to depth and depth changes. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can provide.
    What software version are you running? Please take screenshots of the the full ClearVu page, as well as a ClearVu/traditional sonar split page. Does this issue also occur on these two pages? What are the gain and scroll speed settings?
    Garmin Pro Team

7. Member
    I appreciate your help. I'm heading north (without the boat) for a week and I'll try these and report when I get back.

8. Member
    I have the same unit in my
    bow panel and mine also does this but only in very shallow water, 5 feet or less. I would also like to know if this is a normal thing with this unit. It's also not as good at reading 3 ft. or less of water like my Lowrance Eagle 320 was.

9. Member
    Update: I got back out on the water this afternoon and I could not duplicate the problem I had a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to work perfectly regardless of depth or settings although I was not in water less than 4 feet deep. Thanks for your help.