Thread: Land Rant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Land Rant

Been wanting to get this off my chest for a while and since no one replies to threads on here I figured I can do it and not catch a bunch of slack for it.
    Back before I quit hunting I was losing spots every year because farmers were leasing out there land. I have no problem with that, its their land. What I do have a problem with are the ones that are getting money from the government for CRP payments and then leasing it out, or worse yet renting it to the state for WIHA.

2. Member
    Im about done hunting for the same reasons. CRP payments are at an all time high of $63 per acre. I think WIHA pays around $2 an acre. My dad farms in western kansas and he would make more if he quit farming. The government should allow public access to CRP acres since tax payers are paying the farmer more than they could make farming.

3. Member
    Before making blanket statements about the CRP program, you might want to do a little more research. Not all CRP pays $63/acre-some a lot lower, some a lot higher.

4. Banned
    This can't be real.

5. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Agree. I think if tax dollars are being spent on CRP then hunting should be allowed. No different than the state leasing for WIHA except it come from a different pot of money. Hunting has become big, big business, especially deer hunting. Waterfowl hunting is coming in at a close second.

There will come a day when I quit hunting as well. When that happens I’ll just turn to training gun dogs for those that can both afford to hunt and have their dogs trained for them.

6. Member
    CRP is administered through the FSA/USDA, and there is a lot of money distributed through the FSA office for countless. Every farmer/landowner who buys crop insurance is also receiving federal money in the form of premium subsidies. Should all that land be open to the general public as well since they are technically receiving government money in the form of premium subsidies?

Has hunting and access changed a bunch over the years and in a 99% negative manner? Absolutely. I get mad at times as well. But if people are willing to quit hunting instead of working a little harder and figuring it out, they didn't love it that much to begin with.

I have to agree with Tim on this. I grew up on a farm and my dad continues to farm in south central Nebraska. The CRP acres he has don't come close to paying what he would make off of farming those acres. Obviously irrigated ground in Nebraska is totally different than alot of the agricultural acres in Kansas, but the truth is, any habitat that would otherwise not be there is good for the game populations. The fact is, in Nebraska, those CRP acres would be crop land rather than habitat in the majority of situations if it were not for the CRP program. That is purpose of the program, not to give hunters more access. I also agree that the lack of quality, publicly accessible, hunting acres is major issue as well, but that has never been the purpose of the CRP program. That said, including the CRP program in criticisms of hunter access is either ignorant of the program, disingenuous, or possibly both. Also, consider all the land that is currently state or federal property that the public does not have access to. I feel that is a much greater issue than the effectiveness of the CRP program.

8. Member
    Elbert and Dorothys farm subsidies 1995-2016=$385,984.92

Some of the problem with access, was brought on by the hunters themselves. There are bad eggs in every crowd and that ruins it for the good ones. The some goes for some fishing access to ponds and such.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Some of the problem with access, was brought on by the hunters themselves. There are bad eggs in every crowd and that ruins it for the good ones. The some goes for some fishing access to ponds and such.
    I have no problem with a landowner not allowing hunting. What I don't think is right getting money for CRP and then leasing out the ground

11. Banned
    My suggestion would be to work harder in one of two ways:

1. Work harder so you can afford to lease some of said ground.
    2. Work harder to find ground/foster relationships with said landowners.

Believe it or not, there are landowners out there that value sweat equity over dollars.

12. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    No different than the big watershed lakes that were built by govt funding. Land owners were mandated to allow fishing in them for x amount of years.

same if your pond is stocked by the tourism depot.

Quote Originally Posted by smalljawer View Post
    Elbert and Dorothys farm subsidies 1995-2016=$385,984.92
    I don't think Elbert and Dorothy are who you think they are. That said, what relevance does this have to the current conversation?

Your telling me if a farmer has 100 acres and he gets 63$ an acre he makes more then 100 acres of beans, corn, or wheat? I find that hard to believe.

I'm not sure if you were asking me or not, but to clarify, a farmer with fertile irrigated ground should be able to make more than $6,300 on 100 acres of corn or soybeans fairly easily. I've been out of the direct loop long enough that I don't know exact numbers so these are educated guesses of course.

16. Member
    Most people that think farming just makes piles of money never put a seed in the ground. Yea stuff grows when it gets watered but what about when it doesn’t rain. Then to top it off they get a little break from the govt to not farm every inch of ground they have to help soil conversation and wildlife and Mr I live in town thinks he should be able to hunt. I was a avid hunter till every fence or gate was ruined, 210 acres of grass and bales burned by deer hunters chasing deer in their trucks, and a young Hereford bull as shot. Id lease every bit of ground I have till the day I die. Govt spends a lot more money on much worse things.

Vonny I was referring to the 2nd post on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by smalljawer View Post
    I have no problem with a landowner not allowing hunting. What I don't think is right getting money for CRP and then leasing out the ground
    I understand what you were saying and it is still their ground, no matter who is paying them for its use.

19. Member
    As a farmer guys I can tell u it's not as cheap as it sounds and we are not making as much money as one thinks. With the drought we are scraping to get any little government money that we can tonhelp
    subsidize things. Corn an acre is over 200 per acre to put out by time u figure seed fert and rent on the ground. Beans depending on how many times u have to spray for weeds and pod worms and other things a person looks at 75-100 per acre. Wheat also ain't cheap anymore by the time u figure the cost of seed wheat and fertilizer plus aerial spraying in the spring for fungicide. Farming ain't no walk in the cake boys. I disagree with farmers leading out there ground to put of state people is my biggest thing. They should have to draw for tags instead of justbover the counter. As an active bow hunter it irritates me knowing that one day it's all going to be leased and i won't ben able
    to take my boys bowhunting or teach them. It's sad but farmers are hurting now an dcertain farmers are trying tommake any lil bit of profit off of the farm that they can like I said it's sad to see but some people are like that sorry for the long post

20. Member
    https://farm.ewg.org/ you can see who in your county gets the bulk of the money.
    Also the CRP program will only allow land-owners to put a percentage of each field into the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast