Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok. Let's try this again! Mower question.

Posted a couple weeks ago about my mower not running right. Well, now it's not running at all!

It's a Cub Cadet commercial M48S if that matters. Has a Kohler Command 18 engine.

New fuel lines, new plugs, all new filters, new ignition coils, and new carburetor.

Compression is 180 psi on both cylinders and getting spark on both plugs.

Tried to start and it's just flooding the engine.

What the heck am I missing?

I let it sit with the choke OFF for several hours too let the fuel evaporate and tried too start it to no avail. I have no clue what to check next!

Can anyone help?

Edit: Not choking engine while trying to start, and throttle is wide open.
    Last edited by Charger186; 08-19-2018 at 11:30 PM.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Shoot some starting fluid in the carb, Does it start and run??

If so Pull the fuel line off the carb and stick it in a jug and crank the engine and see if your getting fuel thru the line and into the jug??

If so and both was a yes above, then rebuild or replace your carbs, If yes on the first and no on the second replace the fuel pump.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Shoot some starting fluid in the carb, Does it start and run??

If so Pull the fuel line off the carb and stick it in a jug and crank the engine and see if your getting fuel thru the line and into the jug??

If so and both was a yes above, then rebuild or replace your carbs, If yes on the first and no on the second replace the fuel pump.
    Thanks for the reply! I did shoot some sea foam into the carb and it wanted to run, but stalled after a few seconds. It's a new carb and the fuel pump is working. Getting good pulse and carb Is getting gas.

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    stuck needle valve,
    If you spray carb cleaner or starting fluid in it and it runs until it burns it up. Its some sort of carb problem. If it keeps flooding its a stuck needle valve unless the throttle or choke cables are messed up and not rigged correctly im thinking.

5. Member
    stuck needle valve
    Thanks Hickory Legend! It's a brand new carb. Don't think it's stuck.

I really want to fix this thing myself!

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    new Carb doesn't mean its a good carb, but a squirt of starting fluid should show real quick if its a fuel issue. If its flooding that is the only thing I can think of. Sorry

7. Member
    Hick's right, if it runs on starting fluid you can usually be sure it's a fuel problem. A lot of small engines don't have enough vacuum to suck fuel out of a carburetor and have to be primed with a shot of fuel or choked. If you can easily get to the bottom of the carburetor, drop the float bowl. If it's full of fuel there's no delivery problem. Maybe there's a problem with the new carburetor or the way you hooked up the linkage to the governor. Maybe there's a piece of rice stuck in the needle valve.

8. Member
    Is there a spark arrestor in the muffler? If so I bet its clogged up

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Is there a spark arrestor in the muffler? If so I bet its clogged up
    Never thought about a spark arrestor. That actually happened on my Husqvarna weed eater years ago. Cleaned it out and it was good to go! I'll check to see if it has one. Thanks!

10. Member
    Have you checked the fuel seloniod is not stuck mind did the same as yours is doing

11. Member
    I went through the same thing on a John Deere tractor last year..rebuilt the entire fuel system and it still wouldn't run right...Come to find out the vent on the gas cap wasn't working properly and the fuel was vapor locked...I took the cap off and it ran fine..Ordered a new cap and it has been good for over a year..
    If it is actually flooding the engine it could be a stuck float in the carb..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

12. Member
    Pull the plugs out, turn off the gas if you have the option to or unhook the gas line going to the carbs then check the oil for gas in it. With all of this done, turn the motor over until you don’t see gas shooting out from the spark plug hole. Clean the plugs good before putting them back in. Hook the gas line back to the carb, try to start it just a few times. If it doesn’t start, pull the plugs back out and see if it’s flooded again. If so, then you may have to adjust the carbs. If the carbs have air flow mixture screws (2.5) turns out is a good start. If none then you may have to adjust the floats in the bowl.
    Remember just because a part is brand new doesn’t mean it’s adjusted to your mower.
    Only other thing would be if the valves are wore out or a timming issue.

13. Member
    Seat switch or blade safety switch not making contact

14. Member
    new Carb doesn't mean its a good carb, but a squirt of starting fluid should show real quick if its a fuel issue. If its flooding that is the only thing I can think of. Sorry

15. Member
    is the fuel shut off to carb--i knoiw thats a stupid question but it seems as if its a gas issue--but heck,,what do I know,,i THOUGHT i fixed my JD 318-wasjed out tank, carb new plugs, new coil--and the thing stgill runs like poo--and I had to take it to the mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by timfish View Post

16. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by oiltech09 View Post
    Seat switch or blade safety switch not making contact
    Good possibility - but bad for self esteem at this point

17. Member
    Intake gasket could be sucking air.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    Good possibility - but bad for self esteem at this point
    I think he said its getting spark. I think a seat switch kills the fire.

19. Member
    Does the engine fire at all ? If you think its flooding kill the fuel and try on starter fluid after you know the fuel has cleared.

I have heard of times where an engine will flood to the point it washes down the cylinder walls and removes the oil from the rings. This temporarily lowers the compression and wont let it fire.

Kill gas to engine and make sure cylinders are free of excess fuel. Try on starter fluid. If no fire maybe squirt a little oil into the cyls and turn it over a few times. Then try a little shot of go go juice and see if you get at least a fire.

20. Banned
    Valves out of adjustment ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast