Banned

Water left in boat from rains...prolly 4-6 weeks

I havent fished for just over 5 weeks.

Parked my boat in my front yard, covered. I also lowered the trailer jack to a more stable position...instead of having it fully extended like it is when we pull it off the tow ball.

I guess that I lowered it enough to let water pool in the vessel. Because Im getting ready to load up, and jacked the boat all the way up to load onto my truck....and I start hearing water....go to the back and there is water flowing from back drain. I open up the gas tank/battery area in the back....and sure enough there is water. It wasnt deep enough to touch the battery, gas tank or that area where they are sitting....but it looked like there was plenty of water in there. It wasnt gushing out....but it was draining for what seemed like 5 minutes, maybe more.

Is this something I really need to worry about.....i hear the foam can go bad? Anything I can do to easily check or troubleshoot....aside from not sink it when I fish tomorrow? Any tips to avoid this beside leaving it jacked up? Surprised so much water got in and its been covered the whole time its not being used.

you have to jack the trailer up enough for the water to flow out the back. the water has to go somewhere. just don't forget to unplug the drain hole. if your getting water in with the cover on, maybe it's time for a new cover.

3. Member
    Would be a good idea next time to elevate the trailer tongue slightly to let any water that gets in there to drain. Not really something to worry about since boats are made to get wet. If the foam is getting soaked, 1. you likely won't know it until you cut into it, and 2. you have other major problems to worry about. Just open all hatches and let it air out. A fan blowing through the hatches would help also since mold is something you don't want. There are other things to think about if that much water got in there (bilge wiring not waterproof, corrosion, etc).

Never store outside with the jack down, ALWAYS jack up enough to move the water to the rear, have the drain open, and leave the bilge lid cracked open. ( I open it then put the handle in the lock position and then close it.) This will allow the water to drain out and allow air flow to avoid mildew. Also, since you already have had this situation, and something you should do at least once a year, ( I do it in the spring and again in the fall) is to dump about 5 gallons of water in the bilge (Plug in ) and a few squirts of Dawn dishwashing liquid. then drive to the lake.( If you have an automatic bilge pump, you'll have to disable it. I put mine on a seperate switch in the bilge just for this.) Stop a few miles before you get there and pull the plug. This will swish back an forth and clean your bilge pretty good. WHen you get home, plug out, pour another 5 gal in thru the drain in the deck. There should be one just in front of the seats. If you store under a tarp, it's a good idea to put a plastic pan of Kitty liter on the seat area to absorb moisture. Mildew sucks, is hard to get rid of, and it smells up everything on the boat. If you have it already, add bleach to the mix. If you have it inside your storage compartments you'll have to wash them down with bleach. I store my boat in a garage and crack ALL my compartments when not in use, EXCEPT the live wells and the cooler, those I leave WIDE OPEN. YOu live in Texas, so you have humidity to deal with, so this is very important to do. Good luck and good fishin' !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Rather than buy a new cover as was suggested, treat it with 303 Fabric Guard which restores the water repellency of the fabric. I just bought a gallon and will be treating my cover in the next few days. The easiest way is to use a tank garden sprayer to apply. I have used this in the past and it does a good job of waterproofing the cover.

6. Banned
    Lesson learned.

Good to hear I dont gotta gut the boat! lol I dont think the majority of it has been there the 6 weeks....we have had heavier rains in these last 2-3 weeks.

So...about the new cover thing. This WAS the new cover! LOL

My first cover was from Academy (50 or 60 bucks)......lasted about 6 months before it tore on me....and also started deteriorating. The padding on the inside of the cover that went on the corners turned to dust...it was crazy. So I went and bought this one thinking it was an upgrade, and better than the one at academy for that price https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is like the one from academy....on heavy rain days there will be some pooling at spots on the cover. On those spots where there was pooling, AND it was touching a surface.....the surface would be damp....just assumed thats normal since I saw it on the academy cover too. ASSumed that no cover is waterproof. What do you all recommend me buying? I cant really spend another 300 or so on a cover. Is there any affordable options...

Or do I just try out that 303 fabric guard like ncredbear mentioned? never heard of that stuff till today! lol

7. Banned
    How do you all think all that water got in there? Just a bad cover? I just cant see the water pooling on the cover and seeping through and accumulate that amount....but water can get into anything!

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Never store outside with the jack down, ALWAYS jack up enough to move the water to the rear, have the drain open, and leave the bilge lid cracked open. ( I open it then put the handle in the lock position and then close it.) This will allow the water to drain out and allow air flow to avoid mildew. Also, since you already have had this situation, and something you should do at least once a year, ( I do it in the spring and again in the fall) is to dump about 5 gallons of water in the bilge (Plug in ) and a few squirts of Dawn dishwashing liquid. then drive to the lake.( If you have an automatic bilge pump, you'll have to disable it. I put mine on a seperate switch in the bilge just for this.) Stop a few miles before you get there and pull the plug. This will swish back an forth and clean your bilge pretty good. WHen you get home, plug out, pour another 5 gal in thru the drain in the deck. There should be one just in front of the seats. If you store under a tarp, it's a good idea to put a plastic pan of Kitty liter on the seat area to absorb moisture. Mildew sucks, is hard to get rid of, and it smells up everything on the boat. If you have it already, add bleach to the mix. If you have it inside your storage compartments you'll have to wash them down with bleach. I store my boat in a garage and crack ALL my compartments when not in use, EXCEPT the live wells and the cooler, those I leave WIDE OPEN. YOu live in Texas, so you have humidity to deal with, so this is very important to do. Good luck and good fishin' !!
    will do with the Dawn idea! thanks!! Im "lucky" and dont have much humidity here in El Paso...but gotta drive 2 hours to my closest lake! lol

Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    will do with the Dawn idea! thanks!! Im "lucky" and dont have much humidity here in El Paso...but gotta drive 2 hours to my closest lake! lol
    That should be "Plenty" of miles to clean the bilge !! You might take an extra 5 gal of clean water and after an hour, stop, drain, and put in the clean water for the next hour. Then drain it before launching. Have you considered getting a "canopy" to store the boat under ? They can be very helpful in keeping the rain off the boat. Friend puts his cover on then backs it under the canopy which he has cut the legs of to just barley clear the top of the the motor when the boat is in.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    No matter how good a cover is, if water is allowed to pool and sit it WILL leak. You must adjust or tighten your cover to address the pooling. If necessary build a light frame to sit on your boat, under the cover, to allow the water to run off. Using something like pvc pipe, you may only have to build one or two small frames for certain areas. But you must make it so all the water runs right off or you will always have a leaking cover which means water in your boat.