Thread: Griddle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Griddle

Well all you griddle freaks finally talked me into getting one. I was at a flea market and ran across a stainless griddle top which I figured I could make fit my gas grill. I didnt want another gadget taking up space on the deck as I already have a gas and charcoal grill along with a smoker. So this was a good way to use the gas grill which gets little use now.

So what are some maybe different ways you all are using them. I get breakfast is the first option along with cheese steaks and stir fry. Any odd off the wall cooking you all do with them.

2. Banned
    Sausage and peppers

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWLipRipper View Post
    Sausage and peppers
    Thats a good idea. I just cooked chicken and peppers etc im sure sausage and peppers would be great.

Smash burgers. Wife said she would never eat a grilled burger again. Makes a great Panini maker. Put down a little oil and butter then the sandwich. Press down with a bacon press. Have made some killer Cubans and Reubens on it. Fish does great too
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWLipRipper View Post
    Sausage and peppers
    That was the first thing I cooked on mine. I'll never cook them any other way, again.

6. Member
    i just fixed breakfast on mine,bacon,eggs,toast,hash browns,pancakes,watch your temp because thing cook asap

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i just fixed breakfast on mine,bacon,eggs,toast,hash browns,pancakes,watch your temp because thing cook asap
    You arent lying about the temp LOL. Threw some veggies on there and closed the lid. Came back a few minutes later thinking I would just need to flip everything and stuff was getting ready to burn.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    When you cook all those different foods are all your burners set at the same temp? If so then about what temp? Thanks!

So far, I've done a lot of fried potatoes, smash burgers, and breakfast. Love cooking breakfast on it, cooks so fast and you don't have the grease splatter in the house. Not sure if it's a positive or not, but your house doesn't smell like bacon for the next three days either. I'm liking the smash burgers a lot more than grilled right now. Need to find some more stuff to grill on it.

10. Member
    Fried rice with steak and shrimp is one of our favorites. We also do blackened fish on our flattop.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    So far, I've done a lot of fried potatoes, smash burgers, and breakfast. Love cooking breakfast on it, cooks so fast and you don't have the grease splatter in the house. Not sure if it's a positive or not, but your house doesn't smell like bacon for the next three days either. I'm liking the smash burgers a lot more than grilled right now. Need to find some more stuff to grill on it.
    I need to try the smash burger thing. ARe you squirting water under a metal bowl to sorta steam them. Seems ive seen that done before.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I need to try the smash burger thing. ARe you squirting water under a metal bowl to sorta steam them. Seems ive seen that done before.
    Squirting water underneath the dome, steams and melts the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    No, just take a pound of ground beef, divide it up into 6-8 balls. Throw them on the griddle for a short time, flip them and smash them with the spatula. Only takes a minute and then flip them, put the cheese on and let it melt. I have't had to steam them at all. I tried smashing them right away and they all stuck to my spatula. Someone recommended letting them cook for a short time and flipping them before smashing them so that it releases from the spatula better and it worked out well.

No, just take a pound of ground beef, divide it up into 6-8 balls. Throw them on the griddle for a short time, flip them and smash them with the spatula. Only takes a minute and then flip them, put the cheese on and let it melt. I have't had to steam them at all. I tried smashing them right away and they all stuck to my spatula. Someone recommended letting them cook for a short time and flipping them before smashing them so that it releases from the spatula better and it worked out well.
    One of my first jobs as a kid was a grill-man at Steak n Shake, home of the original "smash burger". Divide the 1 lb of meat into 6 burgers and form the meat into hockey pucks. Place each puck onto the flat/hot griddle and give it a light smash, then flip it over and smash it out flat to form the burger. Cook about 90 seconds or until the bottom side is completely seared to the grill, then sort of "cut it off" of the grill using a firm (and sharpened helps) spatula and flip... add cheese and cook for another 45 seconds or so and you're all done. . You may want to grill the buns first as well. Also, try on grilled rye bread with fresh onions... (patty melt). YUM!

Disclaimer:
    It's been 35 years since I worked the grill so my cook times might be off by a few seconds... just use your best judgement

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    . Also, try on grilled rye bread with fresh onions... (patty melt). YUM!
    Tried exactly this today. Really good suggestion !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    One of my first jobs as a kid was a grill-man at Steak n Shake, home of the original "smash burger". Divide the 1 lb of meat into 6 burgers and form the meat into hockey pucks. Place each puck onto the flat/hot griddle and give it a light smash, then flip it over and smash it out flat to form the burger. Cook about 90 seconds or until the bottom side is completely seared to the grill, then sort of "cut it off" of the grill using a firm (and sharpened helps) spatula and flip... add cheese and cook for another 45 seconds or so and you're all done. . You may want to grill the buns first as well. Also, try on grilled rye bread with fresh onions... (patty melt). YUM!

Disclaimer:
    It's been 35 years since I worked the grill so my cook times might be off by a few seconds... just use your best judgement
    The grilled buns add a nice touch. Little butter on them and toast them.

Anyone else having a hard time keeping their griddle dry? I have the blackstone cover, but every time it rains, it puddles on the cover and then leaks through. Anyone have a good way to keep the cover from holding water? I've got a 2x4 propping it up, but it's still not allowing it to drain.

18. Member
    Anyone else having a hard time keeping their griddle dry? I have the blackstone cover, but every time it rains, it puddles on the cover and then leaks through. Anyone have a good way to keep the cover from holding water? I've got a 2x4 propping it up, but it's still not allowing it to drain.
    Rustoleum has a 2 part waterproofing spray. Maybe try that ?

I have the same trouble with my masterbuilt smoker cover. Ive been meaning to try the spray on it.

Do you have a hard top for it
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

20. Member
    Yup same problem. I just bought a stainless steel cover made by a guy on the big green egg forum. $90 plus shipping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast