Anyone ever sold a boat with an intermittent problem?

I’m really at a standstill contemplating my next move. After 11 years I wouldnt mind getting something else (bigger). But the boat has been acting up since March. After two shops and Mercury have yet to diagnose it I’m not in a position to keep paying high labor for something that may not show up. I wouldn’t feel right selling without the buyer knowing full well the issues I’ve been having. But how do you begin to put a price on that? As of right now I’m just holding on to it and maybe the problem becomes obvious.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Banned
    Put a price on it and disclose the trouble to the buyer. What's the issue?

3. Member
    Price it where you think it is fair, and see what happens. If you let the buyer know the problem up front, should be no problem. If you are talking about the boat in your signature, it should sell. Lots of people looking for a pad hull tin boat.

4. Member
    The market will set the price. It is all down to what someone is willing to pay.

5. Member
    Yes, but I fully explained the situation. One of those old 2+2 Mercury four cylinder 125HP. Guy said he was sure a buddy of his could fix it. It did run good top end though. That motor sucked...
    Current: 2014 Sportsman Masters 207/150 Yamaha
    9 previous Rangers

6. Member
    As long as you are honest

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    ^this^

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    This is good advice.

In the past I bought a used boat that had "electrical issues." I did the troubleshooting, made the repairs and saved some money. People are cool if you provide full honest and open disclosure of any issues. After all, it is a used boat. Price appropriately and it will sell.

Two things you can do...

(1) Get it Don Weed in Greenville. It would be a couple hour drive but WELL worth it. He is the Mercury motor whisperer.

(2) Sell it, priced properly and be honest about the issues.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

What is wrong with the motor?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    What is wrong with the motor?
    Reduced performance, fouls plugs and makes a ticking sound when engine is shut off. And no telling when and where it’ll strike. I could ride an hour with no problem. Hasn’t happened to a mechanic yet but it feels comfortable showing me it’s bad side.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

12. Member
    Disclose and sell, if sell is what you want to do.

You may find a guy who loves to sleuth out issues and will buy the boat if it is cheap enough to make it worth his while.

13. Member
    Sounds like a fuel/oil issue. Buy a gallon of Optimax DFI oil. Add add a can of SeaFoam and Star Brite Star Tron Ring Clean (according to directions) through it with tank of 89 Octane Brand name brand name gas. My preference is BP or Chevron. The cheap gas has no additives. My 115 Opti runs very sluggish with 87. Spend a day and run it at all speeds, trying to burn as much gas as possible.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Sounds like a fuel/oil issue. Buy a gallon of Optimax DFI oil. Add add a can of SeaFoam and Star Brite Star Tron Ring Clean (according to directions) through it with tank of 89 Octane Brand name brand name gas. My preference is BP or Chevron. The cheap gas has no additives. My 115 Opti runs very sluggish with 87. Spend a day and run it at all speeds, trying to burn as much gas as possible.
    DO NOT DO THIS. Optimax/DFI oil is not TCW3 and it does not mix with gas. It will surely blow the motor. The rest of the advice is worth a try, just use either Merc/QS Premium Plus or Pennzoil XLF would a good choice.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

15. Member
    I re-read my post and it seemed like I was advising mixing the additives with the Oil. I meant to write additives go into the gas tank and oil goes into the oil tank. Airport Marine, my dealer, advises no other oil for the Optis. From Mercury's site:

OptiMax/DFI 2-Cycle Outboard Oil
    A synthetic blend 2-Cycle engine oil specifically formulated and developed to meet the needs of: OptiMax and Direct Fuel Injected (DFI) 2-cycle outboard engines. - Provides the maximum protection for OptiMax and DFI engines even under the most extreme operating conditions. - Outperforms other oils by combining a carefully modified base stock blend with a synthetic additive package. - Minimizes carbon build-up to help maintain engine top end speed and acceleration. - Superior lubrication for increased resistance to piston scuffing. - Will mix with typical 2-cycle engine oils. - Provides warranty protection for Mercury and Mariner OptiMax and DFI outboards.
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flranger View Post
    Yes, but I fully explained the situation. One of those old 2+2 Mercury four cylinder 125HP. Guy said he was sure a buddy of his could fix it. It did run good top end though. That motor sucked...

Hey I like my 2+2 lol, add some amsoil and non-oxy, runs good.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. Optimax/DFI oil is not TCW3 and it does not mix with gas. It will surely blow the motor. The rest of the advice is worth a try, just use either Merc/QS Premium Plus or Pennzoil XLF would a good choice.
    This is confusing. Unless you were guarding against pouring DFI oil into the gas tank as if it were an additive? I’m not sure if you read the post you replied to in a way the poster didn’t intend it to sound or what? I’ve been running Opti oil in it for 11 years. I’m sure I’m misunderstanding your meaning. By the way I have used Quickleen and good high test gas. Sea foam was added last winter but the boat gets used more then than in the summer. I hope to run it again soon.
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    Last edited by Judson1; 08-23-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Add words
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

18. Member
    By the way I have used Quickleen and good high test gas. Sea foam was added last winter but the boat gets used more then than in the summer. I hope to run it again soon.
    Add a whole can of SeaFoam and standard treatment of Quickleen to a tank of gas. Other than that, 06DB made a great suggestion - get it to Don Weed.