Thread: Check zero

Check zero

Went out today to check my CBS, cold bore shot with a 270WSM. Looks good enough for me. I'll shoot 3 round groups for practice but will not change the sights. Let my nephew fire the 270 and a 308. He had only fired 22 rifles in the past. He did fine. We'll go out after coyotes in the morning. He has never hunted before. I decided we'll sit in a 2 man deer stand. Looking forward to it.

CBS by mikesgm, on Flickr

2. Member
    Depends on what yardage you were at? If at 50 yards, that can be a lot further off if shooting at 200 or 300 yards. But if your shots are all going to be short, then you should be fine.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    Depends on what yardage you were at? If at 50 yards, that can be a lot further off if shooting at 200 or 300 yards. But if your shots are all going to be short, then you should be fine.
    Good point. I should have said at 100 yards. On my farm the average shot in the woods is around 75 yards. Out in the fields it's about 125 yards. I would change the distance of the zero if I had long range shots like you might have out in Texas. Just depends on the terrain I'm hunting.

4. Member
    I think that should work quite well.

Mine are all sighted inch and a 1/2 high at a 100. That gives me point blank shooting out to 250. Worked so far.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo