Thread: New Boat Onwer!

New Boat Onwer!

I recently purchased a 2003 Triton Tr20 BMC LE w a Yammie 225 VMAX. Ive got some questions about the boat and set up, any issues or stuff i need to watch for. Let me start off my, this is my second glass boat, and first to run over 40mph. Im a newbie to driving, on the first time out, this boat chinewalked something crazy at 65mph(gps). Im not familiar with CW and im wanting to learn! It scared me and as long as I kept it in below 58mph, it was happy, I think the boat may be over propped? It plains in days, and when it does, its all top end, with a good ride in rough water. I have Merc 27 Tempest on it, and I know I need more driving behind the wheel but I want to calm it down some. ANy ideas on a good prop size? I also have some gremlins with the boat. The tach, im not sure about, saw 3000rpm at 65(gps), that sounds low?? My trim gauge isn't working, nor is the speedometer, not worried about the speedometer, and im not sure of the water, the graph covers it up and cant be seen. I will have to move it some to be visible. Fuel gauge doesn't work either, and I kinda need that working. What or how can it be checked visualy? Also how may gallons is fuel tank on my boat? Aside from some trailer lighting issues(LEDS), the above issues, the boat is in good shape otherwise, brand new graphs, new Fourtex 112 TM, all good compartments, carpet, im happy with the boat and plan on lotsa of fishing! Any help and info is appreciated!

2. Member
    Congrats on the boat, there’s a good sticky at the top of the forum about chine walk

3. Member
    DWT74, You have several issues going on here so I will just comment on the most obvious. I have no experience with a Yamaha but it sounds like you are over propped for this boat. That is why your hole shot is so bad. You need to know your PTP and your water PSI at WOT. And there is no way the motor is only turning 3500 at WOT even with that prop. As far as chine walk is concerned seat time will cure that. You can get some really good help on these boards. Good luck.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

4. Member
    I have almost the same set up except bigger. 03 tr21 bmc with 250 yam hpdi. Mine holds 56 gallons of gas. I run a 27p t1 prop in the summer and a 28p t1 in fall. So you should be between a 25-27p prop. These motors like to run high. As far as speedo, check the nose cone hole in the front of lower unit. 9/10 times it has wood lodged in it that you can clean out by hand twisting a drill bit and blowing air into. Trim gauge is a common issue usually due to the trim cam being broken or out of alignment. Check the yamaha motor section. There is a nice write up on the trim cams. I just fixed mine this summer. Easy job. Just a pain sorta.

My most solid advice will be about your motor. Those early yams (if its hpdi) had some issues. Take it to a reputable shop and have all fuel filters changed, and if it sat for any lengthy periods before you bought it take the injectors and send them to brucato. I bought mine 2 years ago and just like you was so excited to learn how to drive it, that i overlooked the mechanics. After 20hrs i blew #6 piston due to a lean injector. It may cost a few hundred dollars to get that stuff checked, but well worth it in the long run. If for nothing else peace of mind. Also there was an oil pump recall and should have a series 3 oil pump. Now...if your motor is an ox66 rather than hpdi, this is all a moot point. Lol
    Last edited by jdwo2212; 08-20-2018 at 10:28 PM.

5. Member
    My motor is a OX66 FI motor, not a HPDI. I will look into the trim gouge issue as you stated. Being mine is a Tr20, you think it’s 56 gallon tank also? Thanks for the advice!

6. Member
    Im not sure if your tank size would be the same or not. Did ya check if there was wood in your speedo input? Also, here is the link to trim cam discussion.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=31913

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Im not sure if your tank size would be the same or not. Did ya check if there was wood in your speedo input? Also, here is the link to trim cam discussion.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=31913
    I will check it when I get home, and I will check that link out. I definitely want my trim gauge working! Also, the motor has a Merc prop on it, are they compatible with each other or do I have to buy a hub kit or does Merc make props just for Yammies?

8. Member
    A merc prop will need a hub kit. A yam prop has a pressed in hub and should be interchangeable with each other.

9. Member
    You definitely need to have a working tachometer and water pressure gauge. Trim is not as important but when first starting out it can be useful. Fuel gauge isn't essential if you just fill up before every outing. I promise you are not turning 3k rpms and going 65. I have a 2000 Yamaha 225ox66 on a tr21 and I turn 6100 rpms and can hit upper 70s. I run a Yamaha 27m prop. Definitely get those gauge working man. None of them are too difficult.

10. Member
    I pulled the seats and the metal cover off, found the tank, it is marked 56 gallons. I can’t tell how much fuel is in it? Idk where to start? Do I pull the sending unit out or is it the gauge? I found my speedometer pickup has been pulled up and out of the water, but no big deal, being my graphs have GPS. The tach, well idk either? I have no plans to hit the water for the next 2 weeks, possibly after the holiday week. If I pull the sending unit, is it like a car unit? Was hoping it may be a broken wire that can be soldered up. I got access to a 25p Merc tempest prop, so all I need to do is swap the hub kit from my 27 to the 25? The 25 is on a Merc at the moment.

11. Member
    So I ended up pulling the main cover off the boat, the big lower seat mount that’s fastened to the hull. The tank had over a half tank of fuel. I pulled the sending unit out, come to find out it was a bad ground. Cleaned it up, checked it by hand, worked great. Reinstalled it back in the tank, took it to BP and fueled it up, hands working properly, or seems to be, I won’t really know til a couple weeks when I get to go back out. I’m gonna replace all screws and hardware while I’ve got it apart and put it back together. I also need to know, what fuel to run? I’m currently running BP 93 with ethanol, I use that same fuel for all my vehicles. I’ve been told to run nonethanol but I’m not sure and im not real happy about the 87 octane! Any advice on fuels? Thanks!

12. Member
    So I ended up pulling the main cover off the boat, the big lower seat mount that’s fastened to the hull. The tank had over a half tank of fuel. I pulled the sending unit out, come to find out it was a bad ground. Cleaned it up, checked it by hand, worked great. Reinstalled it back in the tank, took it to BP and fueled it up, hands working properly, or seems to be, I won’t really know til a couple weeks when I get to go back out. I’m gonna replace all screws and hardware while I’ve got it apart and put it back together. I also need to know, what fuel to run? I’m currently running BP 93 with ethanol, I use that same fuel for all my vehicles. I’ve been told to run nonethanol but I’m not sure and im not real happy about the 87 octane! Any advice on fuels? Thanks!

13. Member
    Ethanol is bad. Try to avoid using it. If you can find some non ethanol fuel even if its lower octane its still better.