Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Four Winns SS bowrider

So as I age and my family does we are sick of tubing and using bassboat for entertainment. Wife wanted a pontoon but I would never give in. We compromised on a bowrider and now I can't stop looking at the SS model from Four Winns. I personally love the open exhaust and option to go silent with the flick of the switch, the looks and the power plant options.

Question I have is between the two models the 5.0 and 5.7 if anyone has insight? Model years 2007-2012

Is there much of a power difference between the two? Top speed on a 20 foot boat with either power plant much of a difference? Are the exhaust sounds the same?

I see the 5.0 priced a little better but these boats still hold some value after a few years, up here with short summers most have under 300 hours for a 10 year old boat.

The sooner I make my wife and kids happy, I can make myself happy with another (New to me) but used bassboat in a few years after paying off a bowrider.

Thanks.

In the research that I have done, speed will probably be within 2 maybe 3 mph. The biggest difference when you start talking bigger motors is when you start loading the boat down, getting on plane, and pulling. With bass boats, people always say max out the horsepower. When I'm looking at used bowriders, I see a lot of v6's for sale. I'm wondering if they just sell a lot more v6's or if people buy them and then realize the smaller motor isn't going to cut it and sell them. Depending on the difference in costs, you'll never regret going bigger.

3. Banned
    Between two boats with 5.0 and 5.7, the 5.7 boat could pull us up on a ski quicker than the 5.0 boat. Maybe the 5.0 boat could've been propped different, but both were stock.

My advice is to stick with outboard power, i had the same decision to make, and my choice in the end was the second boat in my sig.
    I have owned i/o boats in the past...never again. Good luck, and no matter what, the wife is always right, lol

5. Banned
    I would go with the bigger motor even though it will burn more fuel. Sound will be better and few people ever wish for a smaller engine.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    When I'm looking at used bowriders, I see a lot of v6's for sale. I'm wondering if they just sell a lot more v6's or if people buy them and then realize the smaller motor isn't going to cut it and sell them. Depending on the difference in costs, you'll never regret going bigger.
    You see a lot of v6 boats because of price. Lots of v4 boats out there too. Some people have to buy on price instead of performance, and is why there are so many of them.

7. Member
    How many people will be typically in the boat?

My first boat was an 18.5' Bayliner with a v6. I hauled around 5-6 people every weekend. Didnt seem to have any issue pulling tubes etc.

But no one ever said I wish I didnt have this much power lol.

I have a ton of experience with I/Os. No matter what size engine you go with make sure you go with the dual prop lower unit. They are a must for pulling and holding bite when turning.

21 ft Glastron 5.0 and it does just fine for everything we do...wish it had the captain's call exhaust though...sounds pretty good anyway as you can still hear the V8 rumble

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebassoutlaw View Post
    21 ft Glastron 5.0 and it does just fine for everything we do...wish it had the captain's call exhaust though...sounds pretty good anyway as you can still hear the V8 rumble
    Yes IMO captains call is almost a must. The rumble is great for awhile but idle for an extended period of time and it gets old quick.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrs View Post
    My advice is to stick with outboard power....I have owned i/o boats in the past...never again.
    Your outboard does not have the same sound as a 5.7L V8. Big difference in cost of replacement too. There's a reason I/O are so popular in powerboats.

Thanks for the replies. Instead of quoting everyone I'll just summarize Good to know not much difference in the speed category and fuel, I prefer the 5.7 anyway. I'd take an outboard but they are a rare sight up here for a bowrider over 115 HP, just don't see the big HP motors on them. The 3.0 4 bangers dominate up here.

Most in the boat will likely be 3-4 people. Prices are starting to go down now up here as fall approaches and thinking about possibly buying before the spring. Not set on the SS but just have a fever for it right now hence the questions. Thanks.

13. Banned
    Just curious as to why the Four Winns brand?

Two options you definitely want, the walk-thru transom, and the oversize rear swim platform.

I don't think the 210 SS has the walk-thru transom, meaning you have to crawl across the back cushion every time you want to swim or access the swim platform.

14. Banned
    Have you considered a yamaha 210 boat? They have ski and leisure models, they also have a really neat dual purpose 210 fsh deluxe which is a nice fishing boat and family boat.

15. Banned
    Caravelle 217 with walk-thru transom and optional swim platform:

Chaparral 226 SSI with monster convertible rear lounger, walk-thru transom, big swim platform is standard and actually part of the hull itself rather than being a bolt-on option:

Mang, I'd get that Chaparral 226 SSI in a heartbeat...along with a good supply of sildenafil!

17. Banned
    The Caravelle 232BR Interceptor would be my pick, but that's probably a little bit more boat than what you want. It's hard to find them with the walk-thru transom and optional big swim platform, but they do exist. All the Interceptors have captain's call. Lots of engine choices in this boat model too, the 5.0 is the base engine but the 6.2L is one awesome sounding engine with 320 hp and pushes the boat over 60 mph.

https://www.boats.com/reviews/the-du...rom-caravelle/

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Mang, I'd get that Chaparral 226 SSI in a heartbeat...along with a good supply of sildenafil!
    I wonder how much that added option costs?

19. Banned
    Rinker Captiva 212 would be another good option with the walk-thru transom and the optional huge swim platform. They also offer the same boat at just a hair longer with the Captiva 232 model.

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Just curious as to why the Four Winns brand?

Two options you definitely want, the walk-thru transom, and the oversize rear swim platform.

I don't think the 210 SS has the walk-thru transom, meaning you have to crawl across the back cushion every time you want to swim or access the swim platform.
    Why not? Alot easier to find them around here besides not to many I/O here have v8 in them, way to many 3l's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast