Humminbird trail segmentation

I have a bunch of Google Earth trails I made for a local lake that was at low water. I converted the folders to GPX then uploaded them to my HB unit via HB PC. I didn't realize you can only load 50 trails onto a unit. I'm only able to load about 1/2 of the trails I have made

Can I use trail segmentation software to connect them all into one large trail somehow? If so, does anyone have advice on how to do it? I've been trying it on RideLeder and ReefMaster but I can't figure it out.

Thanks,
    Chris Lambert

2. Member
    It’s very easy with the Ride Leader software. It’s not available anymore as a separate program. Are you using the original Ride Leader program or the online version? I’ve never tried with the new online version. If you expand all your trails, which they should already be expanded, you will see all the segments associated with each trail. If you will click on a trail and hold the button down, you can drag that trail into another trail. Those 2 trails will then be combined as 1 trail. Keep doing this until you have as many trails as you want. I do the same thing all the time with Google Earth. If you have any more questions, just P.M., I’ll be happy to help you out
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

3. Member
    Hi Mike,

I'm using the free online version. I can't click and hold the trail. It just scrolls the map. If I click the trail then click the other trail it deletes one. I'm sure this is operator error on my part.
    Chris Lambert

4. Member
    I sent a P.M.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

5. Member
    I use Google Earth(or Google Earth Pro) and Reefmaster. It's mucho easy.

HB calls them tracks, Lowrance calls them trails and GE calls them PATHS.

In Windows Explorer create a folder to save your Google Earth KMZ files.
    1. Create a folder called GOOGLEEARTH on your computer's hard-drive.
    2. Create a sub-folder for each lake like RAYROBERTS.

My Google Earth Organization first:
    1. Create folder LAKES under My Places.
    2. Create lake sub-folders under LAKES like RAYROBERTS.

Let's do RAYROBERTS where normally I would have tracks for BOAT-RUNS, BOAT-PATHS, Ray Robert CREEKS, Ray Roberts ROADBEDS, etc.

Let's look at RRRoadBeds track.
    1. Create folder RRRoadBeds which is the track.
    2. Create sub-folder TRACK which holds track-segments.
    3. Create individual road-bed paths into the TRACK sub-folder.

In this example, I will copy&paste the RRRoadBeds and renaming new folder RRoadBeds02, then create new or modify existing tracks.

Now RRRoadBeds02 is a track with track-segments.
    1. Select RRRoadbeds02 and SAVE PLACE AS into GOOGLEEARTH/RAYROBERTS/RRRoadbeds02.KMZ

You will import RRRoadBeds02.KMZ into Reefmaster.

Here are some snapshots:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LittleGazoo; 08-21-2018 at 01:18 PM.

6. Member
    REEFMASTER:
    1. Create a new Map Project called RRRoadBeds02 and a Project Map tab will appear.
    2. Left-click Layers on the right-side to expand layers.
    3. Right-click in the Layers section.
    4. Select to Import Map Layer, then navigate and select to import GoogleEarth/RAYROBERTS/RRRoadBeds02.KMZ.

There, you have created a Reefmaster track RRRoadBeds02 with track-segments of each road bed.

Right-click on the Map Project RRRoadBeds02 and select to Export. You can export as KMZ, GPX or Humminbird HT file.

Here is a Reefmaster snapshot:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LittleGazoo; 08-21-2018 at 01:19 PM.

7. Member
    Create or modify tracks in Google Earth, then import that track into Reefmaster to create track to then export for your units.

Synchronize your track-names between Reefmaster and GoogleEarth KMZ file-names.

I will copy&paste a GoogleEarth path RRRoadBeds01, and rename as RRRoadBeds02 if making major modifications. And so on.

If I make modifications to an existing RRRoadBeds02, then in the Reefmaster Layers I will delete the layer and re-import the whole GoogleEarth/RRRoadBeds02 KMZ file. You can add individual track-segments, but . . .

AND FYI: The Layer-Name under the Layer tab will be the name of the track on your units.
    Last edited by LittleGazoo; 08-21-2018 at 12:37 PM.

8. Member
    Thanks Little Gazoo, that's a TON of detail!!!

Mike, who commented above, has been helping me every step of the way the past few days. I was able to get everything done via a free version of Ride Leader. I did a test of 4 roadbeds that are all on the same area last night. I was able to move them from Google Earth, to Ride Leader (merged the 4 trails into 1), then loaded them via HBPC. When l loaded them onto my unit it was one editable trail but they all connected. Any advice?
    Chris Lambert

9. Member
    From Google Earth:
    Save your tracks as KML files in a folder.

From RideLeader:
    Select all your track KML files and open.
    Rename the first track with the track-name you want.
    Drag & Drop all the other tracks onto the first track. DO NOT DO A BIND!
    Save As as a GPX file.

Process this GPX file with HBPC.

Now, it has been awhile since I used RideLeader. . .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGazoo View Post
    From Google Earth:

From RideLeader:
    Select all your track KML files and open.
    Rename the first track with the track-name you want.
    Drag & Drop all the other tracks onto the first track. DO NOT DO A BIND!
    Save As as a GPX file.

Process this GPX file with HBPC.

Now, it has been awhile since I used RideLeader. . .
    That’s the way I used to do it all the time except I never renamed the 1st track. I’m not sure what a “Bind” is. I haven’t done it in a few months. The only variable since I did it last time is that I have updated my Google Earth program. It used to work flawlessly. Now, I keep getting those extra lines connecting the beginning and end of each trail segment. It’s driving me crazy. I’m gonna analyze the xml structure of a “good” file and one of the new “crazy” files & see what I can figure out.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

11. Member
    Gazoo,
    I found the “Bind” option you were talking about. I have never used that option before. The only thing I can think that’s causing the issue relates to the upgrade of Google Earth.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

12. Member
    From Google Earth:
    I never “saved” each track as a “file”. I always just created a folder, then created my trails within that folder. Each trail would automatically show up as a separate track within the folder and each track would be on a separate line within the folder, then I would just save the folder as a kml file. Then I would open that file with Ride Leader & drag each trail into the 1st trail and sometimes I would actually rename the 1st trail. I would save as a gpx, then run it through HumminbirdPC. Does that look like how you did it? I never had any issues before. Hopefully, I can figure it out. I should have a little time since I have pneumonia so what else do I have to do between naps.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

I just did a few individual creek channels I had in GE. I selected each path and Saved As KML in a folder I named the creek name.

Then I opened RideLeader (have the PC version) and then opened that folder in RL. Clicked on each file name and drug each to the top file name so there was only one name with segments.
    I then SAVED AS GPX and opened that folder that was in the Save AS KML folder with HBPC. Then I did the copy to memory card symbol arrow and then loaded the file to one of my units. Instead of 6 Tracks, I have one with the same data.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I just did a few individual creek channels I had in GE. I selected each path and Saved As KML in a folder I named the creek name.

Then I opened RideLeader (have the PC version) and then opened that folder in RL. Clicked on each file name and drug each to the top file name so there was only one name with segments.
    I then SAVED AS GPX and opened that folder that was in the Save AS KML folder with HBPC. Then I did the copy to memory card symbol arrow and then loaded the file to one of my units. Instead of 6 Tracks, I have one with the same data.
    Wayne,
    What version of Google Earth are you using? Also which unit did you load it to? I have previously loaded converted tracks to 798, 859, 1198, Helix 9si, Helix 10si, Helix 12si, Solix 15si & Solix 12si units and it has worked perfectly. I have done the conversion countless times and it has always worked. The only difference I can pinpoint is that I have updated Google Earth to latest version since the last time I merged any tracks using Ride Leader. I also use the PC version of Ride Leader. I also get 1 track but there are straight lines connecting each track segment on the map view.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    Wayne,
    What version of Google Earth are you using? Also which unit did you load it to? I have previously loaded converted tracks to 798, 859, 1198, Helix 9si, Helix 10si, Helix 12si, Solix 15si & Solix 12si units and it has worked perfectly. I have done the conversion countless times and it has always worked. The only difference I can pinpoint is that I have updated Google Earth to latest version since the last time I merged any tracks using Ride Leader. I also use the PC version of Ride Leader. I also get 1 track but there are straight lines connecting each track segment on the map view.
    I have Google Earth Pro. It automatically updated to that from the GE I used earlier.

I installed the Track in my Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2. I am going to delete all the single track creeks in my other units and load that single merged Track. All the units listed in my signature.

As far a GE Paths, I have used those to create Humminbird Tracks for many years, but fairly recently started using RideLeader.
    Used a couple of other ways before, don't remember which though--they were a lot more tedious.
    I have done several lake shorelines with Paths and Polygons where there are no commercial maps.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    GE is not the problem.
    WayneP is doing it correctly.

Each KML needs to be an individual path(track).
    When you drag&drop, each individual track becomes an individual track-segment.

I rename the first track because it becomes the track name in the unit after you import

Now HBPC has ALWAYS HAD A BUG displaying a track with track-segments to GE. HB has never fixed it.
    The GE displayed track will have the track-end-points connected. I reported it back around 2013, I wish HB would fix.

And remember HB supports maximum of 50 tracks, maximum track-points per track is 20,000.
    ================================================== ====
    I like Reefmaster because it integrates well with Google Earth. You can save the GE folder as a single KMZ, then import that into a RM Map Project. QED.
    Last edited by LittleGazoo; 08-22-2018 at 08:46 PM.

17. Member
    GE is not the problem.
    WayneP is doing it correctly.

Each KML need to be an individual path(track).
    When you drag&drop, each individual track becomes an individual track-segment.
    I get that and I have done this NUMEROUS times for the past several years and it has worked perfectly, but now it’s not. I have also used Google Earth for many years to create tracks. I have merged tracks from more than 20 lakes including many from Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend and Lake Fork. I do drag & drop each individual track into one of the tracks and end up with a file with ONE track that contains multiple segments. Now, I still get one track and everything “looks” fine but once they are loaded to the actual units, they show up as ONE track in the track list on the unit, but it has lines connecting the beginning and end of each track segment on the actual map. The track even shows up as ONE track on ExpertGPS and looks fine on the ExpertGPS map, but it still has the extra lines when loaded to the actual units. Like I said previously, the only change I have done was to upgrade my Google Earth so it just has me baffled.

P.S.
    I’m really not trying to be rude or be a smart a, so please do not take my response the wrong way. I also have many years experience using these different programs and that’s why it’s driving me crazy.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

18. Member
    Mike2718,

Oh, I understand being frustrated. Track-segmentation is sketchy. A program will support T-S or partially support T-S. HBPC does partially as it will not display T-S tracks to GE.

GPX and HT both support T-S.

And I know HBPC will download HT files into HBPC and create its GPX version, then upload back to a SD-card MATRIX folder and import on 1198/998 units. And this T-S works.

Possibly HBPC will not correctly open a foreign GPX file? But I've done that and Save As to another GPX. The GPX trkseg structure looks correct. But again, I do not actually have HB units anymore to actually verify.

FYI, my Rideleader is version 2.09. HBPC version is 4.5.7.
    BUT my Google Earth version is 6.2.2.6613 since that is compatible with SASPlanet. And come October, 2018, I'm SOL on that combo. Russia it you listening, fix SASPlanet for GE 7 support.

19. Member
    Mike2718,

Oh, I understand being frustrated. Track-segmentation is sketchy. A program will support T-S or partially support T-S. HBPC does partially as it will not display T-S tracks to GE.

GPX and HT both support T-S.

And I know HBPC will download HT files into HBPC and create its GPX version, then upload back to a SD-card MATRIX folder and import on 1198/998 units. And this T-S works.

Possibly HBPC will not correctly open a foreign GPX file? But I've done that and Save As to another GPX. The GPX trkseg structure looks correct. But again, I do not actually have HB units anymore to actually verify.

FYI, my Rideleader is version 2.09. HBPC version is 4.5.7.
    BUT my Google Earth version is 6.2.2.6613 since that is compatible with SASPlanet. And come October, 2018, I'm SOL on that combo. Russia it you listening, fix SASPlanet for GE 7 support.
    Gazoo,
    Now you had to throw a monkey wrench into my process of elimination. I thought I had it narrowed down. I only have HBPC 4.5.5. I guess there could be an issue with that version of HBPC & the new version of Google Earth. My RideLeader is also 2.09 and I do believe my previous Google Earth was also 6.2.2 before upgrading to Google Earth Pro. I don’t think Ride Leader is the issue because that’s the version I have used successfully in the past. I know what you’re saying about Google Earth. My converted tracks would show up on GE with the extra line segments but would actually be fine on my units. Maybe I will reload Google Earth & see if that helps. The doctor says I need lots of rest, but pneumonia or not, I want to figure all this out. Thanks again.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

20. Member
    Ok, I was in a track project and did some HB testing.

With a valid .HT track file, then HumminbirdPC will support and maintain the track-segmentation and create "good" MATRIX folder data.

With a valid GPX file, HBPC WILL NOT support and maintain the track-segmentation. HBPC will not support track-segmentation in a "foreign" GPX though it does so within its own HB GPX file. Corrupted .HT files will result when creating the MATRIX folder.
    Go Figure. . . .

A SOLIX unit will support importing a .HT file with track-segmentation. Track characteristic will be the defaults. A SOLIX GPX will support track characteristic changes. SOLIX units will support all GPX track-segmentation. And a SOLIX will import a Lowrance USRv4 file, but track-segmentation is not supported.