Boat Buckle replacement

Broke one of the boat buckle rod straps on my 2018 521c. Dealer got me a replacement, so I popped out the broke one. The one I removed that was factory installed did not have the plastic cover on the back exposing the internal parts. The new replacement came with cover, but doesn’t fit in the hole with the cover on. Do I make hole bigger to get it back in with cover, or snap off the cover and put it in like it was? Is that why original failed(there was a few pieces of foam floating around in the hole)? Did Ranger take cover off rather than making hole bigger because that was quicker and easier, or do they put them all in that way? The cover does snap on and off easily, which makes me think it’s ok to install this way. It may be hard getting it back in without getting silicon on the strap when installing without the cover.

2. Banned
    Install with the cover. Remove the foam with a spoon.

3. Member
    When watching boats being built at Ranger I do not recall ever seeing the cover on.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Member
    My Legend came with both the covers sitting in the port rod box, took me awhile to figure out what they were...