Patoka in over a year.

Went to Patoka today to fish. It as been over a year since I have been. I never fished very far up in the river so went to Walls Ramp. Caught a bumch of shorts 11/14” bass. I also seen several bait balls schooling. Was glad I went today. I also noticed an algae bloom in the areas. All our fish were caught on a 1/8-3/8 oz shakey heads with 6.5” rud bug zoom worm. Curious how others did today?

Dan

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjochum73 View Post
    Went to Patoka today to fish. It as been over a year since I have been. I never fished very far up in the river so went to Walls Ramp. Caught a bumch of shorts 11/14” bass. I also seen several bait balls schooling. Was glad I went today. I also noticed an algae bloom in the areas. All our fish were caught on a 1/8-3/8 oz shakey heads with 6.5” rud bug zoom worm. Curious how others did today?

Dan
    Heading over in the morning, Ill let you know!

3. Member
    Hit the lake this morning around 6:30, graphed some areas I plan to fish next Saturday evening then started fishing. I stayed with a deep water pattern that I’ve used all summer, not sure if the high blue skies killed the bite or what but I had 5 bites in 3 hours and hooked one fish, was in the 4lb range, 18’ deep.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    Hit the lake this morning around 6:30, graphed some areas I plan to fish next Saturday evening then started fishing. I stayed with a deep water pattern that I’ve used all summer, not sure if the high blue skies killed the bite or what but I had 5 bites in 3 hours and hooked one fish, was in the 4lb range, 18’ deep.
    Me and dad won a little night 5 hour evening tournament yesterday with 2 that weighed 7 and change. Lost one about 5 or so. All were out deep.

Saturday morning they spanked them in the USA Bassin. Knepp won with a little over 23lbs and doug and jimmy from our club teamed paired up and finished second with a little over 18. Has big fish too of a little over 6. My brother fished it and had four that weighed 14 something. Lost one that would have put him in thag 18-19 range. Think 3rd place has around 16. Not bad for only having 14 boats in the tournament.

Patoka is spitting out big ones right now, there just not easy to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    My boat was sitting in the 14-18 foot range. We did not even start the big motor on the boat. We literally caught fish from ramp to first point. While we did not catch size, I have had little success fishing Patoka and catching fish back to back and often. This is why the trip was some what fun cause it was not a grind to just get a bite. I noticed several bass boats shooting back there and fishing the point across from Walls Ramp but nothing being caught. I take it that it is a shallow point. My curiosity is to now fish more in the river and see what else it offers. I normally fish flemning and the road bead and the couple coves in it when I have been there in the past. I dont normally fish Patoka but with the carp issue and tough bites now on Barkley and KY, I thought I would give Patoka another shot.

Dan
    Last edited by drjochum73; 08-19-2018 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added photos.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drjochum73 View Post
    My boat was sitting in the 14-18 foot range. We did not even start the big motor on the boat. We literally caught fish from ramp to first point. While we did not catch size, I have had little success fishing Patoka and catching fish back to back and often. This is why the trip was some what fun cause it was not a grind to just get a bite. I noticed several bass boats shooting back there and fishing the point across from Walls Ramp but nothing being caught. I take it that it is a shallow point. My curiosity is to now fish more in the river and see what else it offers. I normally fish flemning and the road bead and the couple coves in it when I have been there in the past. I dont normally fish Patoka but with the carp issue and tough bites now on Barkley and KY, I thought I would give Patoka another shot.

Dan
    Dan the river can be fantastic at times. It really varies on the water level and color more than other areas in the lake. Good deal catching the numbers you did. Odds are there were good ones right there. Fair chance next time you go those could be several keepers you catch. I’d try it again. The nice thing about the river is you kind of get away from the crowd and get out of the offshore merry go round we all sit through when we fish the main lake.

7. Member
    Switch those shakes heads to 12inch worms and big crankbaits and grind it out!

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've never launched at Walls Ramp. How do you get there? Is there a sign for it on 145 someplace? I know about where it is, but have no clue how to get to it.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I've never launched at Walls Ramp. How do you get there? Is there a sign for it on 145 someplace? I know about where it is, but have no clue how to get to it.
    Shortly after you go past Painter Creek and before you get to the causeway there will be a road 875 S that turns east take it. You'll go past Lowe and Sons sawmill then turn 1st road right.

10. Member
    Bill, it is a drive to get to it but good parking area and easy to launch from.

11. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Thanks for the info guys. I always go down to Patoka in late October, I'll give that area a try.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Bill, it is a drive to get to it but good parking area and easy to launch from.
    The ramp was decent and there was plenty of parking. The ramp is marked with signs so easy to find. I was a little nervous as the road was getting narrow but it opens up once you get close to ramp. I was pulling a 20’ bass boat and had no issues. Best part it was bo traffic. Good luck

A couple of years ago there was some thievery at walls and Jackson ramp. Not heard of any this year.

Last time I fished out of walls I got caught in a storm that I didn't see coming, was a good time with me and the wife.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

15. Member
    Picked up a couple nice smallmouth last night, a 3lber and 2.5lber also had a 4.3 and 4.2 largemouth along with a 15” keeper. Lost two other big fish at the boat all in all wasn’t a bad evening!

Had a little 10 boat tourny sat night. 17.55 won and there were several 4-5 pounders and one over 6 weighed in.