Mercury 150 4 stroke...what are the weak points of this engine?

What do you people think? Its a 2016, i NEED reliability..since i will be creating a business with this boat/motor combo. Its got 600hrs. Every outboard out there has its weak points, what are the weak points to this engine?

I've seen them with 4500 hours on water taxis & 3500 hours on Tow Boat US boats. No real common weak points.
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 08-19-2018 at 01:59 AM.

So far, it doesn’t seem to have any. By all reports its been very reliable. Yes, you will find some reports of things breaking but that is the case with any machine. This motor seems to fail at a very, very low rate. I recall on here a year or so ago someone reporting that in one year Mercury has something on 12 warranty claims on this motor in the entire year. That’s pretty low IMO.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Impressive to say the least!

5. Banned
    The engine seems pretty bullet proof, the only thing I'd check are the mounts as the standard mounts are very soft which is meant to cut down on NVH with pontoons. Not sure what it came off of or what you're putting it on, but you might consider upgrading to the Sea Pro mounts as that's what I did with mine since I had excessive movement and the transom bracket/swivel bracket were wearing excessively after only 42 hours (25 of which were at idle speed) as well as the steering arm, hinge tube nut, and lower trim cylinder bolt had loosened up on mine.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to obtain and provide the Serial Number (which is required when posting).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ledgebuster View Post
    Why is serial numbers required when someone is asking about reliability of a motor they haven’t even purchased?
    Because the person asking you has over 40 years experience with Mercury outboards. Mercury has produced several versions (or upgraded parts) of this and all their engines so to respond to your question from a technician point of view serial number is extremely important so you don't get false info. Besides if you post the number and ask you may be able to get a service history of that engine and how many times do you wish you could ask a question of a certified mechanic well here he is doing it for free on his own time and he doesn't ask much of us for all the help.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledgebuster View Post
    Why is serial numbers required when someone is asking about reliability of a motor they haven’t even purchased?

I know it seems stupid, but these motors aren’t really made by year models as much as they are by serial numbers. For example there are at least 2 different versions of my 2005 225 Pro XS, without the serial number I can order wrong parts just going by the year. Plus with the serial number Mr. Weed can look at the motors history and what has been done to that motor.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And I'll add, that since Mercury doesn't use "years"- and there have been a couple totally different versions of the 150 Fourstroke, serial number becomes even more important.

Here's a few suggestions when looking at used engines:

Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor