St Croix Rods Info Please

I am considering the purchase of a St Croix Crappie rod. My primary fishing method is casting a 1/32 oz jig to lay down trees, docks, etc. No floater and no tipping with minnows.

Recommendations with model numbers appreciated.

2. Member
    Ive been there looking for that rod. Rod your looking for will be a light action with a moderate fast tip. Any lighter action rod can result with missed fish. Not sure if ST Croix has that rod. If not look for a g-Loomis 782 is perfect with that light of weight and 4# line. Cast 1/32 up to 1/8oz very well, I have even used 1/4oz with it before.

3. Member
    Look at PS60ULF, great rod. I also use the PS66LF and even though it is rated for 1/16 oz, have no trouble casting a 1/32 using 4lb test.

4. Member
    PFS69ULF You will appreciate the extra length when casting a true 1/32 oz bait for an off the shelf rod. If you are capable of building your own, it opens up a whole bunch of other options and brands.

5. Member
    If buying a St. Croix I would suggest you stay away from a medium light action. I bought a TRS70MLF and I love the rod but it's a little stiff for crappie unless you are going to mainly use it for vertical fishing. I like a slightly stiff rod for vertical stuff, but for casting small jigs I like a softer action than this rod has. Unfortunately they don't make the TRS70 in a lighter action than this so I'm looking at other models to get me another 7 footer for casting small stuff. BTW if you have never used a 7 footer for that purpose you owe it to yourself to try it. I make long casts to open water structure such as moss beds and brush piles and you can't beat a light action 7' rod with a strong midsection for doing that.

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I cant help with this one as I have never owned a St Croix rod but I do know their quality is unmatched!

7. Member
    I owned several st croix rods and for me the ends were just too light. Cant remember rod models other than they were l and ul but they didn't have the backbone I like for skipping docks. 1s I had even were too light for hooksets and missed more fish than I caught. Really am liking the lews speed shooter's now but would like to try the carrot styx pan fish rods.