Question Bow Stop Not Centered on Trailer???

2002 Ranger Trail Trailer with 620VS

Ok, I installed a new bow stop and it is at least 3/4" to the starboard side when using the bow eye as the reference point.

There is no adjusting the winch stand or bow stop bracket to the left or right. If I remember correctly there is no way to adjust the bunk boards to move the boat on the trailer either.

So, any thought on what can be done.

dh

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Darley,

I can’t think of an easy way to change any of the hardware at this juncture, but even though the bunks are not moveable, this does not mean that the boat is 100% locked into one exact position on them. Otherwise, we would never, ever miss or be off to one side of the bow stop (as you are) when we load the boat. And I can assure you, it IS possible to be reasonably squarely on the bunks and still have the bow eye to one side or the other of the bow stop. I’m not trying to make light of the situation, but just pointing out that a very slight movement of the stern to the left or the right, 20 feet away from the bow eye, will result in a movement of multiple inches on the front end. Sign me Captain Obvious, perhaps. — JC
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Darley,

I can’t think of an easy way to change any of the hardware at this juncture, but even though the bunks are not moveable, this does not mean that the boat is 100% locked into one exact position on them. Otherwise, we would never, ever miss or be off to one side of the bow stop (as you are) when we load the boat. And I can assure you, it IS possible to be reasonably squarely on the bunks and still have the bow eye to one side or the other of the bow stop. I’m not trying to make light of the situation, but just pointing out that a very slight movement of the stern to the left or the right, 20 feet away from the bow eye, will result in a movement of multiple inches on the front end. Sign me Captain Obvious, perhaps. — JC
    No worries, my last boat trailer I could adjust the bunks to compensate. I am getting used to this setup. The last owner had the bow stop positioned so it was taking a lot of weight of the boat. So much so, the bow roller portion of the bow stop was dented/formed to the profile of the keel. I know that is not how it is supposed to be. I moved the winch stand back and lowered the bow stop frame and it is much better aligned except for how the boat is aligned with the bow stop.

Now the bunk boards look original, I suppose it is possible they have twisted/warped over time to not allow the hull to be centered on the trailer.

Figured I would asked the masses that have owned these boats longer than a minute to get their thoughts.

Thanks.
    dh

4. Member
    If it really is a problem,you could put a shim under one side of the winch stand to move the top over. But like JC said,these boats don’t sit exactly center on the trailer anyway,my 518 VX can move 1/2-3/4” one side or the other. I’d guess that once you launch and load,the boat will find center on its own.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    If it really is a problem,you could put a shim under one side of the winch stand to move the top over. But like JC said,these boats don’t sit exactly center on the trailer anyway,my 518 VX can move 1/2-3/4” one side or the other. I’d guess that once you launch and load,the boat will find center on its own.
    It was bothering me, so I did shim it and used a 5 lb hammer to massage the bow stop and also strategically elongated a few holes to get it where I wanted it. Attached are the before and after pictures. Thanks for the reply.

dh
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Good job,aBFH can fix a lot of things

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Good job,aBFH can fix a lot of things
    Thanks, the previous owner must have thought ramming the winch stand repeatedly was the best way to load the boat. Took a bit of modification, but I think we are good now.

Quote Originally Posted by darleyhavidson View Post
    It was bothering me, so I did shim it and used a 5 lb hammer to massage the bow stop and also strategically elongated a few holes to get it where I wanted it. Attached are the before and after pictures. Thanks for the reply.

dh
    You must be a PR rep! Amazing way to say "beat the hell out of it until it looked right!"
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    Tweeted it
    good job

10. Member
    You must have some millwright skills!

We will see how it holds up. The winch stand/bow stop on these model trailers are not very well built or engineered.