Thread: Prop Selection

Prop Selection

I currently have a 2008 Xpress Sv16 with a 2008 Yamaha 2 stroke. The prop I am currently running is an 10.25x14 aluminum prop. I was wanting a better hole shot but also don't want to lose to much speed. I currently reach 5300 rpm's at WOT before it starts porpoising. If i went to stainless steel prop would it be better? Also should I try going down in pitch? Or should I just keep the prop I have?
    Thanks,
    Spencer

2. Member
    1. We need to know which motor you have (mainly the HP), that way we can tell what the max RPM's are. Maxing the manufacturer's recommended RPM's for a motor is always best for performance and engine life. With that said, most 40/50/60hp Yamaha and Merc 2 strokes on 16' Xpress hulls are running 13" and 14" props. The heavier the load the lower the pitch.

2. Yes, a stainless steel prop will improve all around performance, even on a mod-v hull boat. As to which pitch you should buy in stainless, typically you drop down 1" when going from aluminum to stainless. With that said, small boats and smaller midrange HP engines sometimes don't read the book and instead interchange pitch for pitch. It's really dependent on setup and load distribution in a smaller craft that will be weight sensitive. Sadly it's trial and error. Maybe someone near you will let you try a prop. There are a lot of duck hunting guys in Alabama with similar size rig as yours. A lot of those guys run stainless. I do.

3. Yes, you should keep your aluminum prop ..... but as a spare. Keep it in the boat if you frequent places that you might hit stuff .... and keep all tools needed in the boat in the event you should have to change it on the water (socket, socket wrench, pliers, screw driver, a brand new cotter pin)
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

3. Member
    Thanks for the info I thought I had put it in there but apparently not I have a 50hp yamaha 2 stroke